ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #586
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,484
Hey Chris. I am in Nevada City and have the odd weekday off with nothing to do.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #587
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinz Clortho View Post
Hey there-

I live in Grass Valley and am new to riding. I took a few hours to explore McCourtney, Perimeter, and South Ponderosa Roads yesterday. I was trying to make my way to Camp Far West lake using mostly dirt. I ran into a few locked gates but other than that I had a great ride.
15 years ago I used to live on Duggans Rd. and have a KLR. I rode out that way a lot. The maps show those roads go thru but they are gated by ranchers. I never have got the whole deal with how they can gate a county road.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #588
Vinz Clortho
Keymaster of Gozer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
You ever go the other direction? There's a bunch of great riding just outside Nevada City, shade and much cooler up that direction this time of year.
Yeah, I've been looking at some routes that way too. I live off of Squirrel Creek so I wanted to make a big loop and come back McCourtney to S. Ponderosa so I could make it back to Squirrel Creek on dirt.

If I can make it happen soon I'd like to ride North Bloomfield to Graniteville to Grouse Ridge campground. I'm working on the project to restore the Grouse Ridge lookout so I'd like to get up there while the weather still allows.

2009 KLR 650
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #589
Vinz Clortho
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Hey Chris. I am in Nevada City and have the odd weekday off with nothing to do.
Sounds good! I'm 36 and have been riding for oh, I don't know, a month and a half?
I'd like to find some people to ride with but don't want to slow anyone down. I have some Mondays and Fridays off so I'll shoot you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
15 years ago I used to live on Duggans Rd. and have a KLR. I rode out that way a lot. The maps show those roads go thru but they are gated by ranchers. I never have got the whole deal with how they can gate a county road.

Yeah, I ran into gates on Big Spring and Perimeter even though Google maps showed otherwise. But it's not the most accurate, especially around here.

2009 KLR 650
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #590
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
If I can make it happen soon I'd like to ride North Bloomfield to Graniteville to Grouse Ridge campground. I'm working on the project to restore the Grouse Ridge lookout so I'd like to get up there while the weather still allows.
Graniteville Rd is like a freeway right now, watered and packed all the way up to within about 2 miles of Bowman. Robinson has a logging operation working up on Pinolli Ridge so they have been running equipment and logging trucks off the ridge that way.

If you prefer less traffic take Relief Hill Rd out of Malakoff into Washington then up Gaston Grade, I rarely see another vehicle on that route
oldtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #591
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Quote:
Sounds good! I'm 36 and have been riding for oh, I don't know, a month and a half?
I'd like to find some people to ride with but don't want to slow anyone down. I have some Mondays and Fridays off so I'll shoot you a PM.
That's great! I would like to explore local stuff and never do it alone, so I end up not exploring. I live right off North Bloomfield about 3 miles before you get to the Yuba. Going to be gone from the 22nd for about a week (LOST COAST BOUND!! ) but after that ??????

My Ride Reports
Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #592
bmelloman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
That's great! I would like to explore local stuff and never do it alone, so I end up not exploring. I live right off North Bloomfield about 3 miles before you get to the Yuba. Going to be gone from the 22nd for about a week (LOST COAST BOUND!! ) but after that ??????
Are you riding there? I'm planning a Lost Coast trip for the 26th thru the 28th. Will be riding from El Dorado Hills to Wilits Sherwood Rd. to fort Bragg Then north to Usal Rd.... ect. my first long trip with camping on my trusty Dr350!
bmelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #593
Vinz Clortho
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Graniteville Rd is like a freeway right now, watered and packed all the way up to within about 2 miles of Bowman. Robinson has a logging operation working up on Pinolli Ridge so they have been running equipment and logging trucks off the ridge that way.

If you prefer less traffic take Relief Hill Rd out of Malakoff into Washington then up Gaston Grade, I rarely see another vehicle on that route
That sounds better but with my limited skills I might not want to stray too far off the beaten path. Thanks for the info on Graniteville, I'll bust out ol' Google maps and check both those options out.

Quote:
Have a good trip, I'll PM you when you get back.

2009 KLR 650
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #594
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmelloman View Post
Are you riding there? I'm planning a Lost Coast trip for the 26th thru the 28th. Will be riding from El Dorado Hills to Wilits Sherwood Rd. to fort Bragg Then north to Usal Rd.... ect. my first long trip with camping on my trusty Dr350!
Yes. We are spending a week out on the road. Out through Covelo, up Usal, meandering up to Oregon and back down through Shasta/ Lassen. We will be there just ahead of you. Should be on Usal on the 24th.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #595
Drufiddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmelloman View Post
Gotta love the DR350! Two buddies and myself just did the western TAT and I rode a 94DR350SE. The engine blew up about 50 miles north of Susanville on 395 on our last day. Not sure of the damage, but I'm gonna have a look over the next couple weekends. Have fun on the Lost Coast. Usal is a fun little road.
Drufiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #596
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Posting up a ride for next weekend.

Date 9/29/12

Ride to the coast, lunch at Bones Roadhouse.
Meet Up: Chevron West Sac
Time 630 – KSU 7:00
Sorry about the early start but I don’t want to be on the coast at 3 and still needing to eat. We will take scaggs back. Only catch here is when we get to Calistoga on the way home I'm going to split off and go to my parents house in Napa. I trust everyone knows the route from Busters back to sac by now.

Total miles will be around 350. There will be some smooth maintained dirt roads so if your bike must look show room clean at all times this is not for you. There is about 20 miles of dirt that is Smooth enough they took the Prius Google street view down the road. Its broken up between one 8 mile section and one 12 mile section.

Here is a link to the map I created.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid....01401,0.01929

I'm bringing my big bike.

Parx400 screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 09:55 AM
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #597
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Have an excellent ride!

Perfect location there close to edwards crossing...
In the 80's I used to spend every extra minute away from work at my cabin out on the ridge, (long point road).

Everywhere up there is like my back yard for riding. Of course, things are a bit different in this "growing" age...

BTW, if I can swing it again...flashback fridays at paco's tacos, sept 21st.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #598
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Posting up a ride for next weekend.

Ride to the coast, lunch at Bones Roadhouse.
Meet Up: Chevron West Sac
Time 630 KSU 7:00
I see a time. Is the date hiding in there somewhere?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #599
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I see a time. Is the date hiding in there somewhere?
Updated. 9/29/12
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #600
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,388
So Im planning a trip to yosemite this week end fri 21, return sat 22. I get out of school at 10pm plan on leaving maybe early friday, do some riding, hiking etc... stay the night and come back saturday, whenever. Ive never been to yosemite so this will be a which ever way the wind blows kind of ride. I ride a DRZ400s geared low for off road riding, so that translates into I ride about 65 on the highway. Ill be packing light just enough for a overnight stay. I have about a 200 mile range. If anyone is interested in coming along PM meand we can work out the details. Ill have the bike set up to go wednesday so I can leave early friday, maybe as early as 6am.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote