ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #751
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Here's a contour vid of a bit of riding around the Yankee Jims and Red Dog areas, if you're interested. Dirt roads only, I was riding a KLR.

This was Monday, the day before the snow. I wanted to go up Chalk Bluff road to 20 but hit mud halfway up and thought better. Probably won't be back until after spring melt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9uAxtfqDmI
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #752
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
This was Monday, the day before the snow. I wanted to go up Chalk Bluff road to 20 but hit mud halfway up and thought better.
Some of the mud holes on Chalk Bluff are there until July, then it turns into a dust no overnight. I rode above Washington on Monday and got stopped by snow about 2 miles from the Graniteville road. Went back down and cut across on Relief Hill to Malakoff. On Monday there was only one snowy area that I managed to waddle through, I imagine today it's quite a bit different
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #753
tomfoolery
procrastinator

Oddometer: 120
LUV2LEAN; It wouldn't be a secret trail if it was posted on here.

I've "heard" that dirt bikes will fit THROUGH the gate with a couple of guys to lean it and lift it through.

JKING; are the MLDS guys still riding or have they moved to other groups? I had a few fun rides with you guys but my KLR is a little to fat for those rides and my dirt bike isn't plated.

TOM
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #754
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
A couple days ago I rode another section of the Western States Trail between Michigan Bluff and Foresthill. Ken and I were on a WR250R and my new KTM 500 EXC. This singletrack section was a bit harder than I expected. We rode East to West and it starts easy then drops down a fairly steep section of 15 or so switchbacks to a creek crossing. The creek was about 18 inches deep and a bit slippery but the crux was the west shore which then climbed about 25 feet of steep very slippery rock steps. We had to take turns with both of us manhandling the bikes up and over. From there its staightforward singletrack to Bath Road at Foresthill. All in all a fun section for intermediate singletrack riders on smaller sized bikes. I would rate it comparable in difficulty to my memory of the Duncan Creek section.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #755
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
^^^
I found out all about that dust late last summer. I was returning from a ride and on a lark rode down Lowell Hill road from 20 to Dutch Flat. Wanted to see if I could find the Zebright Mine headframe. The part through the forest in the middle was pure flour a couple inches deep.

^^
On the same ride, I went all the way down to the washed out bridge at the bottom, and saw the "non porous" gate. I was going to try to exit by Secret Town but had to turn around and go back to Dutch Flat. There was no getting a KLR through or around that gate!
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #756
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
Sac Rough Road Riders? Any more info? Been looking for weekday big bike riders around Grass Valley.
I'd be interested in getting more weekday big bike RRRides going, but most the big bike Sac RRRides have been weekends and haven't got much interest in weekday RRRides. I have been the instigator of the Sac RRRides for the last 10 years or so ... since founder Rough Ron went into hiding. Send me a pm or an email through the link here with your contact info for future Sac RRRides, and let me know if/when you want to get out for a weekday ride after the snow melts back a bit.

luv2lean screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 07:28 PM
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #757
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
LUV2LEAN; It wouldn't be a secret trail if it was posted on here.

I've "heard" that dirt bikes will fit THROUGH the gate with a couple of guys to lean it and lift it through.

JKING; are the MLDS guys still riding or have they moved to other groups? I had a few fun rides with you guys but my KLR is a little to fat for those rides and my dirt bike isn't plated.

TOM
The road I am referring to takes off the frontage rd on the north side of 80 near Secret town exit. I think its named Haul Rd and turns into Chicago Powerhouse Rd when it crosses the Bear River. There use to be a gate on the other side of the bridge that you could easily ride around and then a second gate a mile or so up the road that you could lean under with a dirt bike or even a GS, but now you cant even get across the river because the gate is huge and on the bridge.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #758
tomfoolery
procrastinator

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2lean View Post
The road I am referring to takes off the frontage rd on the north side of 80 near Secret town exit. I think its named Haul Rd and turns into Chicago Powerhouse Rd when it crosses the Bear River. There use to be a gate on the other side of the bridge that you could easily ride around and then a second gate a mile or so up the road that you could lean under with a dirt bike or even a GS, but now you cant even get across the river because the gate is huge and on the bridge.
That's the gate I am referring to also. It is a big gate right on the bridge with no way around. It is a rectangle gate made out of 6" pipe with two diagonal pipes for stiffness. Just next to the center post and over the diagonal post a dirt bike will fit through the gate. The problem is if you come from the "backside" of the gate you are stuck on the wrong side and the river was too high under the bridge so once on the "right side" of the gate you can get back down to the river and continue upstream toward Dutch Flat.

When my kids were little I would take the family in my 4runner and cross that bridge and head up the river a little ways to let them play in the shallow water. Too bad no one can do that now.

TOM
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #759
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
.. It is a rectangle gate made out of 6" pipe with two diagonal pipes for stiffness. Just next to the center post and over the diagonal post a dirt bike will fit through the gate. The problem is if you come from the "backside" of the gate you are stuck on the wrong side and the river was too high under the bridge so once on the "right side" of the gate you can get back down to the river and continue upstream toward Dutch Flat..

TOM
Yes that is the gate. Seems like just the year before last there was no gate, then last summer there it was. I didnt even consider trying to squeeze through or under THAT gate. Before the gate choked it off you could also ride up the Steep Hollow creek bed to Lowell Hill Rd... dagnabit!!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #760
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
A couple days ago I rode another section of the Western States Trail between Michigan Bluff and Foresthill..
Cool. I was thinking that creek crossing would be too deep right now. Had an "adventure" there a year ago when the first guy across drowned his bike just as the sun was going down.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #761
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,481
I have to head down to Sac tomorrow morning. Will be headed back home in the late AM. May take the long way if anyone catches this an wants to tool along.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #762
Mindspin
Crash Bandicoot

Oddometer: 30
I'll be in Sac until next month and then moving to OC. Got lots of free time in between cleaning and packing my apartment. Any guys here do rides that involve mostly pavement? OR I'd love to have someone show me a good fire road that I won't drop my bike on. I don't have crash bars yet. When I move to socal I'm going to buy a used dual sport bike to learn some trail riding!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #763
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,481
I have Thurs. and Fri. off. Got anything in mind?

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #764
jags650
n00b

Oddometer: 6
help

eldorado forest is have a meeting 2-26-13 in placerville 3-8 off roaders need to show up to keep are trails open
jags650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #765
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
The U.S. Forest Service on Wednesday (2-20-2013) will release a draft environmental analysis of the effects on meadows of 42 separate motorized vehicle routes in the Eldorado National Forest.

The routes were closed by court order last year pending the outcome of a supplemental environmental impact statement. The analysis will determine whether portions of the routes will be reopened to the public.

The draft environmental analysis will be available online for public review and comment via the Eldorado National Forest website, www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado, according to a Forest Service news release.

The Forest Service will hold three public open houses to informally discuss the draft document: 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Feb. 26 at the Placerville Best Western Inn, 6850 Green Leaf Drive, Placerville; 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 5 at the Turtle Rock Community Center, 17300 State Route 89 in Markleeville; and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 6 at the Amador County Supervisors Office, 810 Court St., Jackson.

Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy stressed that the draft document does not represent a final decision. It is intended to let the public know what was discovered in the environmental analysis, and to provide an opportunity for people to make specific comments on the document and the merits of four alternatives.

Hardy said she expects the final supplemental environmental impact statement to be released to the public in late spring or early summer.

The forest supervisor's decision will be made following completion of the final document.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote