ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #871
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by brieninsac View Post
Looking for some suggestions on locations I can bike to and camp.
There's a lot of camping and riding opportunities in the area East of Nevada City and North of Hwy 20 in the Tahoe National Forest. It's only a few hours from Sacramento, ride up Hwy 20 out of Nevada City take the Bowman Rd and you'll find a bunch of roads and lakes that offer camping and riding.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #872
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
There's a lot of camping and riding opportunities in the area East of Nevada City and North of Hwy 20 in the Tahoe National Forest. It's only a few hours from Sacramento, ride up Hwy 20 out of Nevada City take the Bowman Rd and you'll find a bunch of roads and lakes that offer camping and riding.
+1

Check out Emerald Pools and ride over and camp by Bowman Lake.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #873
charliefrench2oo8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Also, another good road is Tyler foote in nevada, hw 49 right past the river, take a right on tyler foote, enjoy the drive. I did it on my V-Strom for fun. Will be taking it to Bowman lake in a few weeks (3+ hour drive) Almost all dirt.
charliefrench2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #874
Speed Racer
Falling is bad

Oddometer: 194
Seeking advice on good dirt from Alta to Mt. Verdi route

I'm hoping to get a ride in later this summer from the town of Alta to the Mt. Verdi area. My thoughts are this:

Lowell Hill Rd. > 20 > Alpha Rd. > Gaston Rd. > Meadow Lake Rd. > Henness Pass Rd. at Jackson Meadows Reservoir > Verdi Peak Rd.

From our friend Google Maps satellite view, it seems it may be a bit boring on a DR350. Any advice from experienced-in-the-area inmates would be appreciated on any legal but more "challenging" routes. Any areas I should avoid for whatever reason? Is Alpha Rd. as groomed as it seems from outer space?

Is the petcock on?

Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #875
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Alpha Rd has areas that are pretty well groomed, mainly the upper section, but once you get past the diggins area it gets a little rutted and rocky. When you come down 20 cut through on Old Omega Rd (N39 18.612 W120 46.081) off of Hwy 20 to Omega Rd. It's a few hundred yards west of the Hwy 20/Chalk Bluff intersection. It's a little overgrown but has a few rocky section.

About 6 miles up Gaston take a right onto Rd 50/Hoosier and take that out to the Meadow Lake Rd. You won't see any other traffic on Rd 50 and it's much better riding. Consider Rd 41/Pinoli Ridge instead of going down to Bowman. It drops you off right at Jackson Meadows and has some incredible views of the Sierra Buttes.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #876
Speed Racer
Falling is bad

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Alpha Rd has areas that are pretty well groomed, mainly the upper section, but once you get past the diggins area it gets a little rutted and rocky. When you come down 20 cut through on Old Omega Rd (N39 18.612 W120 46.081) off of Hwy 20 to Omega Rd. It's a few hundred yards west of the Hwy 20/Chalk Bluff intersection. It's a little overgrown but has a few rocky section.

About 6 miles up Gaston take a right onto Rd 50/Hoosier and take that out to the Meadow Lake Rd. You won't see any other traffic on Rd 50 and it's much better riding. Consider Rd 41/Pinoli Ridge instead of going down to Bowman. It drops you off right at Jackson Meadows and has some incredible views of the Sierra Buttes.
Perfect. Thanks.

Is the petcock on?

Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #877
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
This coming Monday or Tueaday, planning on riding from auburn, to bowman lake to Henness pass, and west over to comptonville if anyone is interested in joining. I will be on a black BMW f800
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #878
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
This coming Monday or Tueaday, planning on riding from auburn, to bowman lake to Henness pass, and west over to comptonville if anyone is interested in joining. I will be on a black BMW f800
You know which day yet?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #879
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
PM sent...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #880
tc339
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Ride Reno

Is anyone planning to do the Ride Reno 200 in September? I'm thinking about signing up but would be hitting it solo, which I would rather not do. Just trying to see if there are any other solo guys wanting someone to ride it with or anyone who is cool with me tagging along.

All my riding buddies ride sport touring bikes, so I'm trying to make some friends in the Adventure department.

tc339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #881
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
PM sent...

JG
Sorry, should of checked in the night before. Ended up going Tuesday. The ride was awesome. Henness pass was a great ride. The road up to Bowman lake and Jackson meadows was pretty rocky and more challenging on an adventure bike, but still a great time with no spills.

I usually have weekdays off so I'm always lookin for someone to ride with Mondays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays if anyone is in same boat.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #882
charliefrench2oo8
Adventurer

Weekends!

I now have saturday and sunday off due to the lovely work gods

I am on a "big bike" Vstrom 650, with agressive tires. I'm pretty decent at manuvering it around. If anyone ever is up for a ride, I'm usually available.
side-note - I have a scala rider G9 if you have comms.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #883
charliefrench2oo8
Adventurer

Anyone up for adventuring in the Nevada city on weekends? I'm going up there sat and going up to Reno on Heness pass, camping somewhere in the Tahoe forest.

Bit more adventurous then most people will do on the Strom. My roommate is coming on a KLR650
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #884
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefrench2oo8 View Post
Anyone up for adventuring in the Nevada city on weekends? I'm going up there sat and going up to Reno on Heness pass, camping somewhere in the Tahoe forest.

Bit more adventurous then most people will do on the Strom. My roommate is coming on a KLR650
How about Thursday? We're heading into Nevada via Henness Pass on our way to Denio. Plan on camping somewhere in the Black Rock the again near Denio before heading up into Oregon for 5 or 6 days
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #885
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
How about Thursday? We're heading into Nevada via Henness Pass on our way to Denio. Plan on camping somewhere in the Black Rock the again near Denio before heading up into Oregon for 5 or 6 days
Just got back from eastern Oregon and would recommend passing Denio up towards Frenchglen for camping. Page Springs is a nice BLM campground about 2 miles up the north side of the Steens loop from Frenchglen for $8. Free camping is permitted on the Steens loop and a nice little spot can be found behind Lily lake about 15 miles further up the same road. BTW, if you plan to do the Steens loop (and you shouldn't miss it) my recommendation would be to skip the south side of the loop below the South Steens campground because it is flat desert washboard. Best to come in and exit from the north side of the loop to south Steens campground and then return.
I would also avoid the 60 mile "backcountry scenic" shortcut from Frenchglen to Plush through the Hart Mtn refuge unless you really like washboard. The weather was really mild with rain further north in the Blue Mtns and still spring like conditions in the eastern Oregon high country last week... such a well kept secret!
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote