ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #1066
scottrnelson
Team Orange
 
scottrnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 1,401
Well we had a good time. Some practice on the hills over at Prairie City, then up to the dirt roads around Foresthill. This is the first time I've been on those roads when there wasn't any dust. It was quite nice.

I have to remember that just because it looks like a nice sunny day it can still be cold out there. Other than not being dressed quite right for the temperature, everything else went very well.
__________________
__Scott R. Nelson, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 2001 Honda XR650L, Folsom, CA
scottrnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #1067
miksail
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 35
Latrobe Rd & Michigan Bar Rd

I rode these last weekend and was surprised to find NO WATER CROSSINGS at all. Even the one that is usually the widest and deepest was dry as a bone. Situation may have changed since the recent rain but as little as came down I doubt the water is running again. These roads are still great fun to ride and for beginners like me provide a variety of surfaces and challenges.
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #1068
scottrnelson
Team Orange
 
scottrnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksail View Post
I rode these last weekend and was surprised to find NO WATER CROSSINGS at all. Even the one that is usually the widest and deepest was dry as a bone. Situation may have changed since the recent rain but as little as came down I doubt the water is running again. These roads are still great fun to ride and for beginners like me provide a variety of surfaces and challenges.
There were some very large "puddles" at Prairie City OHV park, so I'm pretty sure that some of those giant mudholes would have been filled in those roads. Who knows about the one stream crossing at the west end, though?
__________________
__Scott R. Nelson, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 2001 Honda XR650L, Folsom, CA
scottrnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #1069
black knight
Adventurer
 
black knight's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 23
Jim in Grass Valley
I used to be in sacramento
I can add 1 and raise you a buck or 10 that

Owner Karl is the best cylinder head guy and has been doing this work for many decades now.
Motorcycle Machining Specialties
(916) 395-8471
3521 La Grande Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95823
916-395-8471
__________________
Jim
VOC~HRD, 356,STOC,IBA,MERA,MOA,ABC#1559
black knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #1070
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas
 
luv2lean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: East of Sacramento
Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by black knight View Post

Owner Karl is the best cylinder head guy and has been doing this work for many decades now.
Motorcycle Machining Specialties
(916) 395-8471
3521 La Grande Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95823
916-395-8471
I am curious to know if this is the same shop that was owned by John Schaeffer and formerly at 14th & C?
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #1071
Jerrykap
Motorbike mishugana
 
Jerrykap's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 222
Motorcycle Machining Specialities

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2lean View Post
I am curious to know if this is the same shop that was owned by John Schaeffer and formerly at 14th & C?
I don't believe there was ever any business connection between John & Karl.

It's also true that Karl has closed his shop on La Grande and moved on into retirement. Those of us who used his services over the many years lost a great resource. Karl's a terrific guy who deserves a wonderful retirement but his shop will be hard to replace.

C-ya, Jer
Jerrykap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #1072
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrykap View Post
I don't believe there was ever any business connection between John & Karl.

It's also true that Karl has closed his shop on La Grande and moved on into retirement. Those of us who used his services over the many years lost a great resource. Karl's a terrific guy who deserves a wonderful retirement but his shop will be hard to replace.

C-ya, Jer
I thought I remember hearing that. In that vein, I have had good luck with Meticulous Metals in Loomis.
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #1073
markrmark
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
Just got back from Richie Oliver's Offroad Challenge course...

'twas awesome, I found myself sliding corners, berms, powering through ruts and mudholes, taking jumps, skimming a few whoops, water crossings, all things that felt impossible to me before!!! I was pretty shocked I could do all those things. Great for a beginner like me! Woohoo!

Practice at Prairie City OHV anyone? then a dirt ride?

:)

Mark

markrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #1074
MotoMatthew
Adventurer
 
MotoMatthew's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 30
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this, but:

I'm planning a 2 week trip down to Cabo and back on the Big Bikes. I'm looking for someone local to join me. Tentatively looking like sometime around October. I'll probably spend a few days down in Cabo at a resort as well. Camping probably half the time on the trip down there and back. If anyone is interested, please PM me. Thanks!
__________________
AMA D36 #16x
AFM #444
MotoMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #1075
miksail
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
There were some very large "puddles" at Prairie City OHV park, so I'm pretty sure that some of those giant mudholes would have been filled in those roads. Who knows about the one stream crossing at the west end, though?
Just got back from spending a couple hours on Latrobe Road and Michigan Barr Road. THE WATER IS BACK. If you turn right onto Latrobe from Stone House Road the first water is quite large in the center. Thankfully, it hasn't rained in a day and a half so the water was running clear and it was easy to pick a line through. There were several other water spots that were fun and lots of loose slippery mud if you choose to ride through that kind of stuff. I was glad to find alternate (drier, less slippery) ways around the worst of the mud pits.

Oh, and my brand new Dunlop D606s performed flawlessly. I'm really NOT going to miss the OEM Bridgestones that came on the bike.
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #1076
scottrnelson
Team Orange
 
scottrnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksail View Post
Just got back from spending a couple hours on Latrobe Road and Michigan Barr Road. THE WATER IS BACK. If you turn right onto Latrobe from Stone House Road the first water is quite large in the center. Thankfully, it hasn't rained in a day and a half so the water was running clear and it was easy to pick a line through. There were several other water spots that were fun and lots of loose slippery mud if you choose to ride through that kind of stuff. I was glad to find alternate (drier, less slippery) ways around the worst of the mud pits.
Most of those "ponds" in the road and most of the mud holes are fairly smooth, so the point where you cross mainly determines how deep you go.

But there are a few of them with huge ruts in them and you can't tell which ones they are once they get filled up.

I keep thinking that it might be fun to go run through all of those splashing mud and water all over. But it would be the few with the big ruts where the bike would most likely get stuck and maybe dropped. It's the chance of that happening that makes me chicken out from doing that.
__________________
__Scott R. Nelson, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 2001 Honda XR650L, Folsom, CA
scottrnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #1077
markrmark
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 48
OK a report from Prairie City OHV today...

Dirt was moist / tacky, with some puddles and drying mud in a few places... With my stock KLX250S tires it was definitely a bit slippery...

Over at Richie Oliver's school we rode Yamaha TT240s and they were hugging the dirt really well. I practiced the same slides up at Prairie City on my KLX250 and slid out a few times... the tire traction is not as reliable on my KLX250S stock tires. I think Rich has the TT240s set up pretty good for dirt...

So now I'm thinking about getting Dunlop 606 for better offroad traction... also doing some mods to help open up the KLX250 bottom end, as the power delivery is kind of weak in low RPMs and I found myself stalling out when I was trying to slide corners.

I'm a n00b at bike maintenance. Is there anyone in the Sacramento area that can help teach me to replace my tires and do some mods like dynojet, the free mods on planetklx etc to help with power? I will pay you for your time. Or can someone recommend a good mechanic/Kawasaki guy who knows how to tune this bike up?

My goals for the bike:
* Reduce slip on dirt (Dunlop 606?)
* Increase low end power
* Possibly adjust 1st gear as I found it a bit more difficult to control than the TT240 at low speeds

Thanks,
Mark
markrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #1078
scottrnelson
Team Orange
 
scottrnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 1,401
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrmark View Post
I'm a n00b at bike maintenance. Is there anyone in the Sacramento area that can help teach me to replace my tires and do some mods like dynojet, the free mods on planetklx etc to help with power? I will pay you for your time. Or can someone recommend a good mechanic/Kawasaki guy who knows how to tune this bike up?
You can use my tools in my driveway to do tires and carburetor stuff. I'll even roll the bikes out and you can use the parking spot in my garage if you want. I'll be happy to watch you struggle with the tire irons while I give pointers.

If you buy the tires through Folsom Cycle, I'll even be willing to take you in my car to pick them up, since it's close and I'm always looking for a reason to drop in for a visit.

Please skip "Dynojet" and either buy jets from Kawasaki or somewhere like Factory Pro that uses the correct numbers on their jets. I have plenty of experience with opening up carburetors and rejetting. You have to do the research on what jets will improve things, though.

If someone else closer, like Captain Ron has an offer, go with them. Oh, and no charge.
__________________
__Scott R. Nelson, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 2001 Honda XR650L, Folsom, CA
scottrnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #1079
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sacramento
Oddometer: 388
markrmark,
I also have room in the garage or driveway. I'm in the Arden-Arcade area.
I have tire tools, if you do not. As far a mechanic goes, I have a friend that has been a auto technician for many many years and a bike guy for just as long. Very competent IMHO. He might be able to help you with the more challenging tasks.
__________________
09 GSA
11 F800gs
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #1080
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldtrucks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrmark View Post
I'm a n00b at bike maintenance. Is there anyone in the Sacramento area that can help teach me to replace my tires
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/704/53...op-Method.aspx
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014