ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #1126
Sertguy
2 Wheel Junkie

Oddometer: 32
2014 Sheet Iron 300

I can't get any of my friends to commit to this ride and want to know if anyone is interested in getting a few guys together to ride the Sheet Iron 300? I hear it's an awesome 2day (150 miles each day) from Stonyford to Ft Bragg all on dirt. Google it and let me know if you're interested.

Sean
Sertguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #1127
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sertguy View Post
I can't get any of my friends to commit to this ride and want to know if anyone is interested in getting a few guys together to ride the Sheet Iron 300? I hear it's an awesome 2day (150 miles each day) from Stonyford to Ft Bragg all on dirt. Google it and let me know if you're interested.

Sean
I've done it a couple of times. It can be dusty and crowded depending on your route and time of departure, especially on Saturday. I've done enough riding in the area now that I don't feel the need to pay for very large group ride. I have found it's best with a small group of like-minded riders/abilities. Stick together to follow the prescribed route and watch out for each other.

Good luck and post a ride report!

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #1128
Sertguy
2 Wheel Junkie

Quote:
I've done it a couple of times. It can be dusty and crowded depending on your route and time of departure, especially on Saturday. I've done enough riding in the area now that I don't feel the need to pay for very large group ride. I have found it's best with a small group of like-minded riders/abilities. Stick together to follow the prescribed route and watch out for each other.

That sounds even better. Thanks for the advice. Anyone planning, or wants to plan a ride that area this summer?

Sean

Sertguy screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 08:28 AM
Sertguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #1129
Sandbogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Sertguy , pm sent.
Very interested. :-)
Sandbogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #1130
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

A couple friends from my Throwbacks vintage motorcycle group will be riding it this year, our first foray into dual sport territory as a club. I'll be on my 1978 yamaha xs650 scrambler and another bud will be on his 1972 honda xl250 motosport. Our third will be riding his 2007 Triumph Scrambler. We've been looking forward to it since last year's running.

I'm looking forward to more practice running on the fire roads nearby my home in the Grass Valley area. I know I suck at dirt, so the learning curve will be steep...

TroopThrowback screwed with this post 03-03-2014 at 11:18 AM
TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #1131
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
That sounds even better. Thanks for the advice. Anyone planning, or wants to plan a ride that area this summer?

Sean
I have not ridden out of Stoneyford, but started south out of Williams. Went north through the mendocino Forrest into clearlake, then up north to Lake Pillsbury. From there went north and ended up in Cevelo and over to Ft. Bragg.

I had a blast, and would love to do it again this summer/spring. It gets warm, we went in late april and it was hot. Hit a little snow at the high point around Hull Mountain.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #1132
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

This year's flyer just posted:

http://oaklandmotorcycleclub.camp9.o...tiron_2014.pdf
Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #1133
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Diy si

Quote:

Sean
I did the DIY version with three buddies a few years back. I'm open to going again in small group. Have to 2nd the comments on large group. The comraderie is great, the dust, not so much. But if the conditions are right, the large OMC organized event gets nothing but great reviews, AFAIK.

Let me know when you are open for going if you don't do the group event. Too early and snow/water crossings/gates/mud holes may be issue, too late; heat and dust. I have several years/versions of the GPS routes, which are easy to dig up anyway.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #1134
ElDorado650
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I did the DIY version with three buddies a few years back. I'm open to going again in small group. Have to 2nd the comments on large group. The comraderie is great, the dust, not so much. But if the conditions are right, the large OMC organized event gets nothing but great reviews, AFAIK.

Let me know when you are open for going if you don't do the group event. Too early and snow/water crossings/gates/mud holes may be issue, too late; heat and dust. I have several years/versions of the GPS routes, which are easy to dig up anyway.
You sending an invite my way?

Big or little bike?
ElDorado650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #1135
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDorado650 View Post
You sending an invite my way?

Big or little bike?

I vote big bike .. invitation only.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #1136
ElDorado650
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
I vote big bike .. invitation only.
I like that.
I am getting a little more confident on the 800, but is
is no 650R - that's for sure.

A few step-up's that I don't think about much on the R I look at pretty
hard with the 800.
I think the big issue is the 800 will sustain some expensive damage on a
loop out - where the 650R, well, it has seen it all before.

I have been taking the 800 out pretty much every weekend -
let me know when you want to head out.
The 800 does tend to keep things a little more mellow
ElDorado650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #1137
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
More rain = more mud

I've been loving all this rain, aside from the drought concerns, it's been great for riding. I spent the whole weekend mud hopping and having a blast. Although the clean-up is a bitch!

brieninsac screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 05:30 PM
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #1138
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 239
Hey Troop!
Got any pics from yer Birthday ride? (that I missed)

I might be up for some mellow local forest service road riding this weekend on the KLR if yer around. I gotta see yer rig.

ANOTHER DUBIOUS ADVENTURE....

Juan
Nevada City

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopThrowback View Post
A couple friends from my Throwbacks vintage motorcycle group will be riding it this year, our first foray into dual sport territory as a club. I'll be on my 1978 yamaha xs650 scrambler and another bud will be on his 1972 honda xl250 motosport. Our third will be riding his 2007 Triumph Scrambler. We've been looking forward to it since last year's running.

I'm looking forward to more practice running on the fire roads nearby my home in the Grass Valley area. I know I suck at dirt, so the learning curve will be steep...
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #1139
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

I suck at photos nowadays. I pretty much don't take them anymore. Started with 14, ended up at half that. Bombed up to allaghany and back to see the snow. The Yambler keeps asking to be improved as I figure out how. Fun on dirt roads for sure now that I figured out some good rear shocks.

I'll have to see what kind of time I've got, seems so short these days with rides few and far between.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #1140
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Juan,
Perhaps Friday? Anyone else wanna join if it goes?