ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #106
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,502
"significant"

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #107
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.gordon View Post
http://www.gethome.no/stein.sorensen/body_gpsdump.htm

Hey Tod

Have you ever tried GPSDump?
I have not tried that program. My issue is when I try to capture today's track log and save it as a route, it seems to work fine on my GPS (when I view that saved route in a Preview mode). But when I then download that same file to my computer I can see the file name on my PC, but when I try to view that file I only get a short line. I'll figure it out some time, but I gave up tonight.

Thanks for the link. I may try that program and see what I can get from it.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #108
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
From personal experience, and I've done it dozens and dozens of times, you can go from downtown Sacramento to days and days of nothing but dirt in less than an hour. For instance, downtown to the little town of Dutch Flat in 55 minutes, easy. From there, you can pretty much go on...say...95% dirt to Boomtown, Nevada. And in between there, are days and days of dirt. Another example would be Sacramento to Colfax (45 minutes). From there, go dirt to Forresthill. Again, many dirt options, not to mention some nice OHV parks.

As for paved twisties, a good deal less than an hour from Sacramento to the west edge of some seriously stupid twisties heading east to 395, gateway to Death Valley.

Now then, want wine? Less than two hours to beautiful downtown Napa. I hear they have grapes there. Continuing west to Mendocino? Something like 4 hours or so. Of course, you'd have to take some majorly-nice twisties to get there.

Perhaps you want to ski? Don't get me started.

Less than 2 hours from SF, less than 2 hours from Lake Tahoe.

p.s. - Don't tell anyone. I don't want it getting crowded here like SoCal.
God, that sounds awful.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #109
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,502
Don't forget Wentworth Springs Rd, Mosquito Ridge Rd, and HWY 49 to Downieville, with loads of dirt between each one.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #110
tomfoolery
procrastinator

Oddometer: 120
To any lurkers who were thinking about going on the Grass Valley area ride, Do come out next time! TOD (Sierra Jeep) knows the area well and put together a good ride. It was a "big bike ride" but certainly wasn't just putting down gravel roads. It was logging roads with water breaks, a single track, snow, mud, and a hill climb, but he had an alternate route around the tougher spots too.

It was a fun group and we were all strangers at the start of the day. I even got the Wikipedia on paragliding from J. Gordon over lunch in Washington.

I hope to join you all on a ride again. TOM
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #111
SierraJeep
It's toast

Thanks for the comments, but the abilities of all those in attendence (allowing me to stick to the original route) was what made it fun.

There was another much longer section of single track that I decided to pass up only because we were just approaching the snow area (between the Deer Creek Forebay and Chalk Bluff Road) and I figured it'd have been a PIA on the big bikes if there was snow to deal with on the trail. Maybe next time.

The paragliding sounded like it might be another potential future hobby. J.Gordon made it sound pretty interesting. After lunch I was trying to think of a few areas we might be able to go to that had big drop offs for him to ponder.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #112
Nytro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
To any lurkers who were thinking about going on the Grass Valley area ride, Do come out next time! TOD (Sierra Jeep) knows the area well and put together a good ride. It was a "big bike ride" but certainly wasn't just putting down gravel roads. It was logging roads with water breaks, a single track, snow, mud, and a hill climb, but he had an alternate route around the tougher spots too.

It was a fun group and we were all strangers at the start of the day. I even got the Wikipedia on paragliding from J. Gordon over lunch in Washington.

I hope to join you all on a ride again. TOM
Looks like y'all had a good ride! I wish I could have been there.

I will definitely join in when the schedule aligns.
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #113
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
I have a new toy

2002 Aprilia Caponord.

Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #114
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I have a new toy

2002 Aprilia Caponord.

OMG, that is sweet!!! I have gas tank envy.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #115
SierraJeep
It's toast

What's next?

The weather looks like it might not be too bad on Saturday. Anyone else got a ride planned?

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #116
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
ohv's Chalk Bluff sunday...
Aaaarrrgh, chance of rain! We'll see.

Edit;

We did, it no rain. had a great day there, 6 riders.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u

2manyrides screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 10:33 AM
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #117
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Wicked the seventh day adventurists...gotta work the other 6...but on Sunday, well...

6 Sacramento riders staged at Chalk Bluff on sunday. I had been sweating the weather reports, but in the end it was perfect. There was no hint of dust, in fact it was sloppy in many spots. Headed from the staging area west on loop 32, some of the tightest woods riding of the local ohv spots up the western slope. Eventualy we changed it up and jumped on Burlington Ridge Road in order to get across to Omega Road (route 29).
Heading east you start to see more snow patches and feel colder. One funny spot was an icey patch in the road where 3 riders washed out in sucsession. One 600 still running and doing a pivot in a circle anchored by it's footpeg. (somebody stop that thing!)
By the time we started to climb out of there on Last Chance Mine Road the whole route was covered in snow. I was a bit worried we'd have to turn back due to the "uphill in the snow" effect, but the roosters of white and the traction kept coming, so eventualy everyone made it back out to highway 20.
We crossed there and took the trail back to the staging area.

That was enough for this group of varied riding skills and indeed encompassed the majority of a shortened winter day's daylight.
Everyone was satisfied with a good day's ride, yet having not overdone it.
The sky darkened considerably, the wind picked up, and we loaded up.
The rain began to hit the windsheilds in Rocklin and it was dark and wet as I pulled in the driveway.
My 600 got put away muddy as it's ever been. she's awaiting a spray down and the next ride.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #118
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Anyone else from Sac going to be down in Death Valley for the three day weekend? A group of us are going and camping off the bikes. We will be at Saline Valley Hot springs Sat night. Look for this fine machine.

Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #119
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Anyone else from Sac going to be down in Death Valley for the three day weekend? A group of us are going and camping off the bikes. We will be at Saline Valley Hot springs Sat night. Look for this fine machine.

I'm looking for something near Eureka, gonna camp there Saturday night...Steel Pass into the springs Sunday morning.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #120
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post

6 Sacramento riders staged at Chalk Bluff on sunday. I had been sweating the weather reports, but in the end it was perfect. There was no hint of dust, in fact it was sloppy in many spots. Headed from the staging area west on loop 32, some of the tightest woods riding of the local ohv spots up the western slope. Eventualy we changed it up and jumped on Burlington Ridge Road in order to get across to Omega Road (route 29).
Heading east you start to see more snow patches and feel colder. One funny spot was an icey patch in the road where 3 riders washed out in sucsession. One 600 still running and doing a pivot in a circle anchored by it's footpeg. (somebody stop that thing!)
By the time we started to climb out of there on Last Chance Mine Road the whole route was covered in snow. I was a bit worried we'd have to turn back due to the "uphill in the snow" effect, but the roosters of white and the traction kept coming, so eventualy everyone made it back out to highway 20.
We crossed there and took the trail back to the staging area.
Ah... so this was the translation of the other cryptic note about the OHVs at Chalk Bluff! It should have said DS or dirt bikes, or perhaps listed a meeting time!

Good to hear you had a good time. Last night we got snow down below 3000 feet, so that whole area is pretty much "unavailable" for the time being... maybe until Spring. You pretty much closed down the area.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC