ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #1186
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Fun group. I hope to make it, although no vintage iron yet. At last season's ender it was fun to hear a few "what's wrong with your bike?" questions when I rattled in with dry clutch. :-)

Oh yes, exactly! Ducati?
TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #1187
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopThrowback View Post
Oh yes, exactly! Ducati?
Yeah, I was the White Power Ranger that day. Fit right in with my older biker buddy on his HD, wth, a twin is a twin. :-) Lots of rung what you brung/anything goes, which makes it interesting.

Check it out guys, two wheels are two wheels, from IronButt big beemers with custom-fabbed aux fuel tanks to 2T RD 350s.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #1188
TahoeRider
Red Rider

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
There aren't many who ride during the weekdays (all my throwback buddies can't) so finding people that can is a major plus! I'd been riding a lot solo which is fun bit can also be a little hair raising when you don't have any helping hands.

You should come by our season opener April 10th, it sounds like you'd dig it. All bikes welcome, though the vintage stuff is our favorite.

https://m.facebook.com/events/495613917211531

This sounds fun.. I'll try to get up there on the 10th with my '83 XL6 if it's not in pieces. It might qualify as a throwback now that it's 31 years old

I can ride on weekdays, but I have a rotating schedule so it's not always the same days. Hope to get in on a ride with some of you in the near future.
TahoeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #1189
nova2012jk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Renting and riding in the region

Hello west coasters,

I'm a DC based consultant that's flying to Sacramento every Sunday and returning to DC every Friday for a couple months. As one would suspect, it gets old fast. Conveniently enough Friday, March 21, is my birthday; so I'm thinking about sticking it out in the area that weekend and getting some riding in.

I've looked online, and I'm having trouble finding any sites renting anything other than 1600cc HD's or 1200cc bikes. I've been riding for a couple years, but I ride a CB 750 Nighthawk and I'm not crazy about the idea of moving to a 900 lb bike with a considerably different riding position or power I'm not ready for.

I wanted to see if anyone in the area had any recommendations for places to look to get something comparable to a 650cc bike (v-strom, versys, KLR, GS, etc.). Specifically, I'd love to find a V-strom or Versys for the weekend as I'm waiting for the right one to pop up in the DC area to swoop up and getting an opportunity to get some saddle time on either one would be great.

Also, if anyone is willing to rent privately I'd be very interested in working out an arrangement.

Additionally, any ride ideas would be great. At this point I was thinking about heading east, riding up through the mountains, over to the coast, down to SF, and back over to Rancho / Sacramento.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
nova2012jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #1190
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova2012jk View Post
I wanted to see if anyone in the area had any recommendations for places to look to get something comparable to a 650cc bike (v-strom, versys, KLR, GS, etc.). Specifically, I'd love to find a V-strom or Versys for the weekend as I'm waiting for the right one to pop up in the DC area to swoop up and getting an opportunity to get some saddle time on either one would be great.
You can get a DR-Z400S from these guys: http://www.sportbikes4hire.com
Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #1191
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
You can get a DR-Z400S from these guys: http://www.sportbikes4hire.com
They have an Fz6 as well.

Theres a place in reno that rents bikes as well.

Adventures of Reno

Get the rocket! You know you want to..
Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #1192
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Made a little change on the Yambler today, installed a solo seat given to me by a fellow xs650 guy in portland. The bag came from another buddy. I think it works:

Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #1193
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,582
used to be on friday

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #1194
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 191
Lookin good, now maybe some side racks for saddle bags....
dont be afraid of spoiling the look with a tank bag, you can put a spare tube in a fender bag...jb

Quote:
Made a little change on the Yambler today, installed a solo seat given to me by a fellow xs650 guy in portland. The bag came from another buddy. I think it works:

visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #1195
PatmanBMW
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Riding NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova2012jk View Post
Hello west coasters,

I'm a DC based consultant that's flying to Sacramento every Sunday and returning to DC every Friday for a couple months. As one would suspect, it gets old fast. Conveniently enough Friday, March 21, is my birthday; so I'm thinking about sticking it out in the area that weekend and getting some riding in.

I've looked online, and I'm having trouble finding any sites renting anything other than 1600cc HD's or 1200cc bikes. I've been riding for a couple years, but I ride a CB 750 Nighthawk and I'm not crazy about the idea of moving to a 900 lb bike with a considerably different riding position or power I'm not ready for.

Also, if anyone is willing to rent privately I'd be very interested in working out an arrangement.

Additionally, any ride ideas would be great. At this point I was thinking about heading east, riding up through the mountains, over to the coast, down to SF, and back over to Rancho / Sacramento.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Mike,
I know your pain. I consulted for 2 years in the DC area and live near Sacramento. I rented a Harley a couple of times and rode some Blue Ridge roads and the Maryland Shores.

You can add this place to your rental list http://www.sacramentomotorcyclerental.com/

The have a Honda VFR800. Since it's your birthday, you can really treat yourself to this place:
http://www.redbiketoursusa.com/rates.html#streetfighter

Why not try a Ducati? It's your birthday! They have other bikes as well. Namely a BMW F700GS and a Honda NC700.

There are some awesome roads just to the east of Sacramento in the foothills and mountains. You can see a couple of the rides on this site:
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Route...fornia_80.html

Some of the mountain rides may still have some snow on the roads since some are not plowed. However, there is plenty of riding in the Gold Country.

Send a PM and I can give you some suggestions. I might be able to ride with you on the 21st in the morning. I have some other activities late in the day.

I hope this helps.

- Patrick
PatmanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #1196
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,389
Ride Saturday, Folsom to Georgetown - street

I'm going to be doing a street-only ride with a friend tomorrow, Saturday, March 15, at 10:00 from Folsom out to some roads to the south, then up the twisty roads to Georgetown for lunch. He'll be riding my XR650L and I will, of course, be on my KTM.

If any of you are interested in a 100-mile ride through the hills, send me a note and I'll work out a meeting spot.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #1197
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 960
Bump .. Leesville Ladoga Rd

Bumpin the Sac thread up .. and letting the Sacto riders know Colusa County has covered Leesville Ladoga Rd with dirt and gravel. Not a good thing in my view. Preferred the bumpy old patched pavement over the new slippery dusty gravel and dirt. Wont be much fun for me until the dirt packs down a lot more.

I was up there last Monday and rode the section from the intersection of Bear Valley Rd to a mile or 2 past Huffmaster before i turned back to take the well packed dirt on Huffmaster out to Sites Ladoga Rd and on to Maxwell.
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #1198
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

How about a ride report somewhere?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #1199
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,337
Checkin' in Pops
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #1200
dixonk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2lean View Post
Bumpin the Sac thread up .. and letting the Sacto riders know Colusa County has covered Leesville Ladoga Rd with dirt and gravel. Not a good thing in my view. Preferred the bumpy old patched pavement over the new slippery dusty gravel and dirt. Wont be much fun for me until the dirt packs down a lot more.

I was up there last Monday and rode the section from the intersection of Bear Valley Rd to a mile or 2 past Huffmaster before i turned back to take the well packed dirt on Huffmaster out to Sites Ladoga Rd and on to Maxwell.
I was just on it a couple of weeks ago. Seemed good to me. Leesville Rd to Bear Valley to Brim then Bartlett Springs all the way to the lake. Even had a passenger with me the whole route riding on Anakee 3s.

Will be there again next week with the K60 scouts on to hit again a little quicker.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote