ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #1396
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
I want to ride that!...is the whole thing ohv legal? Whos in? Ride one way, camp, ride back, 2 day trip!
Or ironman it the whole thing in one day, 200 miles, no problem!

Hobbes, bring the 950!
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #1397
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
I want to ride that!...is the whole thing ohv legal? Whos in? Ride one way, camp, ride back, 2 day trip!

Hobbes, bring the 950!
Currently, most of it is legal for OHV's. I haven't looked in to it for a couple of years, so do your research. But that may not last:

"Judy Suter, a horse enthusiast leading the charge for the Safe Trails Alliance, said the group's goal is to close the Western States Trail to motorcycles and mountain bikes.

"We do want to stop the race on this trail. We just don't think it's a place where you should have mountain bikers and motorcycles," Suter said. "This trail was built for pedestrians and horses."

The alliance includes 11 gold-country organizations, including the Sierra Foothill Audubon Society, Sierra Club (Placer Group) and five groups with horse ties."

From here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/20/566...rs-tussle.html

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #1398
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:

Hobbes, bring the 950!
Uh, I only know a couple guys that would try that. And the pics will be great, as their bikes match. :-)

One of the original members of MLDS used to lead great rides in the area, but he is busy designing another dream house, so I'll cut him some slack for being off the bike.

Yes, many parts of WST are open to moto, including the section right from town. And yes, probably not for long. I avoid it during organized training days and heavy practice days around the race event, but the rest of the time it is empty. I have never seen a horsie back in there anywhere except on event day, as it is too remote for casual trail rides. But I can only speak to the last 20 something years, there used to be nothing but horsies and mules in there. :-)

Let me know if you want a nice ST loop sometime, happy to show anyone around. Like this saturday. :-)

Remember this sign on Soda Springs Rd? This one is still standing not too far away, but I am sure it is endangered. "(EXCEPT OVER SNOW)" Logic, what a concept.

Ride while you can.

StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #1399
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:

Hobbes, bring the 950!
Um..... I am thinking no. When we hit the lottery, I will have a smaller bike and you can lure me into whatever shenanigans you want. Until then, it's fire roads and two track for me.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #1400
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
[I]"Judy Suter, a horse enthusiast leading the charge for the Safe Trails Alliance, said the group's goal is to close the Western States Trail to motorcycles and mountain bikes.

"We do want to stop the race on this trail. We just don't think it's a place where you should have mountain bikers and motorcycles," Suter said. "This trail was built for pedestrians and horses."
This kind of logic drives me insane. This is code for "we want to keep the trails to ourselves".

I get that in many cases motorcycles don't make sense on multi use trails. Mountain bikes however should be permitted on all multi use trails.

Horses are modern day Dodo birds. A relic.

I have a fever, and the only prescription is more moto.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #1401
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by avejoe View Post
This kind of logic drives me insane. This is code for "we want to keep the trails to ourselves".

I get that in many cases motorcycles don't make sense on multi use trails. Mountain bikes however should be permitted on all multi use trails.

Horses are modern day Dodo birds. A relic.
Following her logic, Old Sacramento shouldn't have motor vehicles and bicycles, either. There are conflicts between motor vehicles and bicycles on streets all over, as well as between motor vehicles and pedestrians. Yet, you don't here uproar about banning one type or the other. The focus is always about education and "getting along".

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #1402
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

The vocal minority within the horse advocacy are not interested in "getting along". They are about excluding other user groups.

It's a fact.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #1403
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by avejoe View Post
The vocal minority within the horse advocacy are not interested in "getting along". They are about excluding other user groups.

It's a fact.
And they generally have more money, more cloat and are better connected politically than the other groups
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #1404
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
And they generally have more money, more cloat and are better connected politically than the other groups
Horse ownership does take money. There is a correlation between money and political pull (duh). There is also a correlation between money and a sense of entitlement to resources such as trails.

I will stop my rant now. It's just that holier than thou horse people really get me fired up.

Peace. Out.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #1405
Stonelove
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Well I ride through Sac often. I'm from Reno but travel to Stockton all the time. Oh, UCS grad too.

Do you guys have a goto dyno shop in town. KTM 990 adventure 2008 is in need of that special tuneECU treatment.

KJ
PCP Motorsport on Florin Rd exit....
Stonelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #1406
Stonelove
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I don't see a Sacramento riders thread so I'm going to start one. Who here rides Sacramento area?
I'm in Sacramento. I commute to downtown and back. My schedule is kinda tight, two kids under 3, but I can get a morning weekend ride in or a mid week meetup.

Jimmy T
Stonelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #1407
mysticrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Chaulk Bluff to Downieville: Monday, June 2

.Greetings,,,

Logisitics:

1. 1st Stage: 7am Breakfast in Auburn @ Edelweiss

2. 2nd Stage: 8:30, You Bet Road @ Open area on right of bridge over Greenhorn river/creek.

3. Particulars of the Ride: Up Chaulk Bluff to Washington, one of the routes to Downieville either up and over to Henness or lower through Foots Crossing to Downieville ect... Jeep trails out of Alleghany back home... Minimal stops to keep the pase up as 120 to 160 miles of back country riding...

Peace,,,

Ricky

BTW, Don't be afraid to ask questions. No question is stupid... Only Stupid answers...lol...
mysticrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #1408
Jking
It's just a bike

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticrick View Post
.Greetings,,,

Logisitics:

2. 2nd Stage: 8:30, You Bet Road @ Open area on right of bridge over Greenhorn river/creek.

3. Particulars of the Ride: Up Chaulk Bluff to Washington, one of the routes to Downieville either up and over to Henness or lower through Foots Crossing to Downieville ect... Jeep trails out of Alleghany back home... Minimal stops to keep the pase up as 120 to 160 miles of back country riding...

Peace,,,

Ricky

BTW, Don't be afraid to ask questions. No question is stupid... Only Stupid answers...lol...

As noted on another site, I am in, see you at breakfast.

lunch and gas in Downieville, bring lots of water and snacks for the trip. I've ridden with Ricky before, fast pace and lots of fun. This is a good ride to do.

Remembering the past gives us reason for the future...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165725
Jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #1409
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
Monday? Damn, ain't gonna happen for me. I have to work to support my off road habit.

1,573 more days...

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #1410
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticrick View Post
.Greetings,,,

Logisitics:

Peace,,,

Ricky

what kinda bikes you riding?
Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote