ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #1426
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
SM the Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Thanks for the gate info gents. I turned back Sunday and rode chalk bluff up to 20 instead.

I got the day off, so I'm going for a ride today. I'm heading up to the hotel off mosquito rd and maybe try to find Pino Grande.

Leaving around 9:00 if anyone wants to go. I can meet in Coloma or wherever.
Nail down your Rubicon date. I've got my camera charged. :-)
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #1427
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Pino Grande is on SPI land...behind a gate. If you take Mosquito Road south from Wentworth, right where the pavement ends you take a left. That's Kings Meadow Road. You'll hit a gate in 1/10 mile, the mill site is maybe 2 miles further down the road. There's not much left but you can identify the site of the mill pond. The narrow gauge track is totally overgrown.

I also worry about some of the old roads and bridges. I wonder if Yankee Jims bridge will ever be replaced when it is deemed unsafe. There was a bridge over the middle fork near Drivers Flat that washed out and was never replaced. Also the bridges over the Yuba, and others that are very old and not heavily trafficked.

There are several sections of Ponderosa Way, a '30's WPA project, that have been allowed to become private ranch roads. There are several road segments in Calaveras County that are gated, the last open one connects Jesus Maria grade with Glencoe road, over the old bridge. It's still open, but the rancher on the north side has the entrance flanked with "Keep out" signs.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #1428
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 222
120 Mile High Sierra Wild Goose Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticrick View Post
.Greetings,,,

Logisitics:

1. 1st Stage: 7am Breakfast in Auburn @ Edelweiss

2. 2nd Stage: 8:30, You Bet Road @ Open area on right of bridge over Greenhorn river/creek.

3. Particulars of the Ride: Up Chaulk Bluff to Washington, one of the routes to Downieville either up and over to Henness or lower through Foots Crossing to Downieville ect... Jeep trails out of Alleghany back home... Minimal stops to keep the pase up as 120 to 160 miles of back country riding...

Peace,,,

Ricky

BTW, Don't be afraid to ask questions. No question is stupid... Only Stupid answers...lol...

Mystickrick checkin' in at Casey's Place, Alleghany.

Good Ride!
Which one of u inmates has the pic of the 640 on the rock gettin' her front tube changed? Can ya post it? (I had my hands full...of 3 year old slime)

Pretty well finished off these balding street tires on the 640 chasin' Jerry on that stolen BMW 800.

At least he sure rides that 800 like he stole it....

Great group of riders, let's do it again
We can stop and smell the roses next time if you like.

Juan
Nevada City
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #1429
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Nail down your Rubicon date. I've got my camera charged. :-)

I did a pre-run today solo.
Not a soul out there, so did my best not to do anything stupid.

I thought I had a good line here, but it turns out my technique was all wrong.

Made it about 3.5 miles in without issue.

To here:

Then thought I'd take the "easy" way back and took a right on WWS road.

Here:

About a 1/2 mile of elephant baby heads. My poor clutch and forearms.

Then it opened up and had half a dozen shallow clear water crossings.

That were evidently heading to ¿Gerle? Creek.

Fair Oaks to the trail and back, about 200 miles.

Just trying to catch up and get back in riding shape after a few month hiatus.

I'll update the SMJ thread later and pick a date a couple weeks from now.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #1430
Jking
It's just a bike

Oddometer: 234

This is me basking in the roast beef sandwich I had in Downieville. I love that place, where else can you order a sandwich and they tell you are out of food go try the ice cream shop, they might still have some!

I had a good time with you guys, nice to meet you Jaun, I'll try and get together for another ride soon.

I had to break away from the group around 300pm, as I needed some alone time.

Ricky, thanks for breakfast, I enjoyed seeing you again.

Chris, we will hook up and ride also.

Remembering the past gives us reason for the future...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165725
Jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #1431
Jking
It's just a bike

Oddometer: 234
hot weather ridding and keeping cool

I did some reading on wearing a compression shirt while ridding in the hot summer. SO I figured I'd give it a shot, I had on my cold gear compression long sleeve shirt and my road jacket (see above post picture) I had my zippers closed most of the day. The air flow thru the sleeves kept me cool most of the day. Around 300pm it was 85* down at the river so I decided to dunk my shirt in the river, that kept me cool all the way down to Colfax, which was about 30 miles from the river. By the time I was in Colfax the shirt was mostly dry, I decided to dunk the shirt again for the last journey home to Folsom. It was 95 degrees on the way home, I had all my jacket vents shut and the zippers closed, I was actually chilly all the way home. Later that night I could feel the difference in wearing the compression shirt, I felt better than on my rides where I had not worn one and doing the same type of ride.

It's cheap and effective!

Remembering the past gives us reason for the future...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165725
Jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #1432
mysticrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Good Ride!
Which one of u inmates has the pic of the 640 on the rock gettin' her front tube changed? Can ya post it? (I had my hands full...of 3 year old slime)
Juan
Nevada City
Here you go... Your request is filled Juan

Thanks Everybody for the Ride...
It was nice meeting you all...
Peace,,,
mysticrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #1433
charliefrench2oo8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Anything going on this weekend? 6/7-6/8?
I picked up a DRZ400s last week and have been having a lot more fun offroad then the DL650 . I'm always looking for places to ride.
I took it to georgetown ohv last weekend and took trail one for practice, then down to mosquito on the trails and back-roads.
charliefrench2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #1434
Sandbogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27

Thanks again Rick!!We had a great ride!

Juan, I look forward to a "smell the roses ride"!

Sandbogg screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 12:37 PM
Sandbogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #1435
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post

I also worry about some of the old roads and bridges. I wonder if Yankee Jims bridge will ever be replaced when it is deemed unsafe. There was a bridge over the middle fork near Drivers Flat that washed out and was never replaced. Also the bridges over the Yuba, and others that are very old and not heavily trafficked.
Don't expect the government to behave logically. The below bridge is slated to be replaced to the tune of $1.4 million... and it goes nowhere. Just provides access to a few more miles of river..

Project Description: The proposed project is located in central Nevada County, approximately three miles east of the Town of Washington. The bridge is situated on Maybert Road and spans Canyon Creek approximately 250 ft upstream of the South Fork of the Yuba River.

Project construction will require temporary closure of Maybert Road from the current bridge location to the east. The closure is expected to occur over a three month period beginning in June 2015 and extending through October 2015. All access to parcels and uses located to the east will be temporarily closed.

Funding: Federal Highway Bridge Program (HBP), Measure F and State Exchange

Total Budget: $1,419,612
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #1436
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 432
I think Jerry would wheelie through your roses in 3rd.

Nice riding with you guys.
Nelson (the guy on the yellow DR650)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #1437
Sandbogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
You were tearing it up pretty good yourself on the DR 650!!

Jerry was absolutely amazing on the F800.

All of you guys are awesome riders and great guys to boot. It was a pleasure riding with you all.
Sandbogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #1438
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
Don't expect the government to behave logically. The below bridge is slated to be replaced to the tune of $1.4 million... and it goes nowhere. Just provides access to a few more miles of river..
Skewed logic perhaps...

The main difference between that project in the town of Washington and the Lowell Hill Road bridge is that there are private properties on the other side of the Maybert Road bridge that would otherwise be land-locked if the bridge were not replaced. As for the Lowell Hill Road bridge, one can still legally get to either side via Lowell Hill Road because both sides connect to other through roads.

(I've had several discussions with the staff at the Nevada County Public Works Department about the Lowell Hill Road bridge issue.)

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 10:13 PM
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #1439
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbogg View Post

Juan, I look forward to a "smell the roses ride"!
Me too. Glad I missed that one. Looks like it was a bit speedy for me.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #1440
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak
Skewed logic perhaps...

The main difference between that project in the town of Washington and the Lowell Hill Road bridge is that there are private properties on the other side of the Maybert Road bridge that would otherwise be land-locked if the bridge were not replaced. As for the Lowell Hill Road bridge, one can still legally get to either side via Lowell Hill Road because both sides connect to other through roads.
I guess that's why Drivers Flat bridge never got replaced, open on both ends and no PP down by the river.

I've sat on the rocks below Yankee Jims bridge and watched as people drive large SUV's over it and tested the 80 year old cables. I'll take a bike over it but not a car.