ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
Can you get to the single track like you can from Stonyford? Or is it altogether a different trail system?
CC camp has plenty of single track, you are going to need a good amount of gas to go to stonyford, ride, and come back.
But your more then welcome to do that.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
Having not been to Mendo NF before, I'm mostly looking to ride and explore the area. I don't need to hit any overly tight or technical singletrack (the 650 is a bit of a heavy beast). Hopefully a few others would like to do the same. I'm glad to tag along on any ride that comes together.

Since Mendo NF is a big place (with lots of road and trail options) it would be great to have an idea of sample routes prior to the rally. If anyone has tracks of suggested loop routes from Pillsbury (that they have taken or plan on taking) I would love to see them.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #33
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
CC camp has plenty of single track, you are going to need a good amount of gas to go to stonyford, ride, and come back.
But your more then welcome to do that.
There is gas in stonyford.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #34
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 849
Laugh Mendo KLR loops ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Since Mendo NF is a big place (with lots of road and trail options) it would be great to have an idea of sample routes prior to the rally. If anyone has tracks of suggested loop routes from Pillsbury (that they have taken or plan on taking) I would love to see them.
Hi r3r3r,

Here are a couple of loops I've done in years gone by on my overloaded-for-camping KLR ... the two loops make a figure 8 with Lake Pillsbury in the middle (at "G") ...

The top loop G, B, C is about 140 miles with gas at B in Covelo ... there is a fire lookout tower between Covelo and Alder Springs, but it may not be open in early May ... it's about 140 miles ...

The next loop shows Lake Pillsbury, Bartlett Springs, Stonyford (gas) or G, E, F ... it's about 110 miles, so doing both in a day is about 250 miles ...

There are a ton of easy fire roads (depending on how high the rivers are in the spring) ... I did these quickly with Google Maps "walking" ... they probably show M-1, M-5, and M-10 and Mendocino Pass (FH-7 from Covelo to Elk Creek (gas)) which kind of divides the Mendo NF into a north and south half ...

If the water was low enough I'd cross a river and head up towards Goat Mountain instead of the way shown between Bartlett Springs (E) and Stonyford (F) to avoid the blacktop along Logoda-Stonyford Road ... I'm sure someone who knows the area better will set me straight ...

There is another fire tower just south of Lake Pillsbury that is fun to find on a big bike that has a nice view of Clear Lake ...

They sell a great NF map for $10 or $14 bucks at the ranger stations that I find useful ... there is a ranger station in Upper Lake on the way up to Middle Creek and Lake Pillsbury if you were to go that way from San Francisco ...

Any how, just off the top of my head ...
See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #35
Speed Racer
Falling is bad

Oddometer: 198
In

Will be on my DR350 again. Worked great last year. Maybe I won't lose Joe this year. My bad.

As before, I will (probably) be driving a van w/the bike on a bumper hitch receiver or whatevertheycallit. So, I could (probably) bring some supplies, or if someone from Sacramento wants to hook their trailer on the back and buddy-up, that (probably) work, too.

In any case, let me know if I should bring some materiel w/me; e.g., firewood, beer, etc.

p.s. - This year, don't disappear, duitswes, until I get a chance to say "Hey".

Is the petcock on?

Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #36
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
Thanks, John. This is helpful. I bought the map and was checking on mapping sites. With so many routing options I couldn't figure out the best loops. I am starting to get a better idea of the possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hi r3r3r,

Here are a couple of loops I've done in years gone by on my overloaded-for-camping KLR ... the two loops make a figure 8 with Lake Pillsbury in the middle (at "G") ...

The top loop G, B, C is about 140 miles with gas at B in Covelo ... there is a fire lookout tower between Covelo and Alder Springs, but it may not be open in early May ... it's about 140 miles ...

The next loop shows Lake Pillsbury, Bartlett Springs, Stonyford (gas) or G, E, F ... it's about 110 miles, so doing both in a day is about 250 miles ...

There are a ton of easy fire roads (depending on how high the rivers are in the spring) ... I did these quickly with Google Maps "walking" ... they probably show M-1, M-5, and M-10 and Mendocino Pass (FH-7 from Covelo to Elk Creek (gas)) which kind of divides the Mendo NF into a north and south half ...

If the water was low enough I'd cross a river and head up towards Goat Mountain instead of the way shown between Bartlett Springs (E) and Stonyford (F) to avoid the blacktop along Logoda-Stonyford Road ... I'm sure someone who knows the area better will set me straight ...

There is another fire tower just south of Lake Pillsbury that is fun to find on a big bike that has a nice view of Clear Lake ...

They sell a great NF map for $10 or $14 bucks at the ranger stations that I find useful ... there is a ranger station in Upper Lake on the way up to Middle Creek and Lake Pillsbury if you were to go that way from San Francisco ...

Any how, just off the top of my head ...
See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #37
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,057
I'm interested, might have a few others who want to go. Where's the sign up page??
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #38
mootsuno OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
I'm interested, might have a few others who want to go. Where's the sign up page??
We'll be using the first post to list the participants.
Not ready to start the official sign ups yet, we're still
working out a few things.

It looks like we're going to have a flat rate for the group
camping site and a flat rate for food. Prices aren't determined
yet but as of now we're estimating $20 for camping and $30
for food. I think that should fit into everybody's budget.

We'll have more details in the upcoming weeks.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #39
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Will be on my DR350 again. Worked great last year. Maybe I won't lose Joe this year. My bad.

As before, I will (probably) be driving a van w/the bike on a bumper hitch receiver or whatevertheycallit. So, I could (probably) bring some supplies, or if someone from Sacramento wants to hook their trailer on the back and buddy-up, that (probably) work, too.

In any case, let me know if I should bring some materiel w/me; e.g., firewood, beer, etc.

Saw your post in the Sacramento thread. I'm in east sac too, considering going on this ride.

Might be cool to carpool, if you are up for it.

I can also drive and haul 2 or 3 bikes/gear (Honda Ridgeline).

Pm me if interested. I need to block the weekend out and nail it down.

Cheers

Scott
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #40
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post

Yeah, we should say hey.

I might say hey at the DV end of March noob ride too. Maybe. Riding in with in with the Dakar to DV. For Mendo I will probably bring the 2 smoke.
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #41
chris666
Burgundy Topz

Oddometer: 323
This looks like fun, and I would love to do it. Haven't seen some of you an awhile. I don't have a dual sport anymore though, but I am looking to get one soon. So... can I be put in as a maybe?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #42
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris666 View Post
This looks like fun, and I would love to do it. Haven't seen some of you an awhile. I don't have a dual sport anymore though, but I am looking to get one soon. So... can I be put in as a maybe?
Dude! Make it happen.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #43
chris666
Burgundy Topz

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro View Post
Dude! Make it happen.
I'm working on it. Gotta sell my streetbike first.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #44
Speed Racer
Falling is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by duitswes View Post
Yeah, we should say hey.

I might say hey at the DV end of March noob ride too. Maybe. Riding in with in with the Dakar to DV. For Mendo I will probably bring the 2 smoke.
Well OK then...

Is the petcock on?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #45
Speed Racer
Falling is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalslowpoke View Post
Saw your post in the Sacramento thread. I'm in east sac too, considering going on this ride.

Might be cool to carpool, if you are up for it.

I can also drive and haul 2 or 3 bikes/gear (Honda Ridgeline).

Pm me if interested. I need to block the weekend out and nail it down.

Cheers

Scott
pm sent

Is the petcock on?