ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #436
Titus58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbob View Post
Glad to see you all had fun and had good weather, Pilsbury in May can be interesting with the thunder boomers that roll in the afternoon. I've been camping, riding and skiing that lake for over 20years, what's funny is I've only rode the trails and not the roads. After reading all the post now I can't wait to explore the roads. I hope next time I wont have other obligations. I saw a V-Strom in the group, was that a 1000 or 650? How did it do?
The vstrom was me...DL1000 and we did grrreatt! Been learning to dirt ride on her since last summer, this was only my 2nd looong ride in MNF . I "upgraded" from the crap OEM bridgestones to Shinko 705s - MUCH better in the dirt but still not real knobbies ...were indeed some exciting moments both coming into camp on the slick mud, and riding the loose & damp sand on M6 & M10...but I hung on and didn't drop her Definitely worth investing in the crash bars/skid plate etc if you're going to take a strom off-road...with the protection she crashes pretty well

You missed a great trip - hopefully you can join us next year. My first time to the Lake Pilsbury area and riding that portion of MNF...it was all awesome!...woulda stayed for days if I coulda

Tim
Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #437
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Glad to see you all had fun and had good weather, Pilsbury in May can be interesting with the thunder boomers that roll in the afternoon. I've been camping, riding and skiing that lake for over 20years, what's funny is I've only rode the trails and not the roads. After reading all the post now I can't wait to explore the roads. I hope next time I wont have other obligations. I saw a V-Strom in the group, was that a 1000 or 650? How did it do?
Tim is being a bit modest. Tim was on his Wee-strom 1K and Nancy was on her Triumph Tiger 800. Both large bikes for some of the terrain we hit, from snow to BIG ruts to water crossings. They both handled those behemoths quite impressively!! There was once when I was behind Tim in the soft, rutted gravel when I was SURE he was going down but he held on with rubber down... (he didn't say anything then but he might have had to clean his shorts when we got back to camp) They both made the crossing of Bear Creek look easy for being on the heavy bikes. I look forward to riding with our Friday group again soon, if not, next Mendo run for sure !!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #438
barefootbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
LOL vee is a 1000 and wee is a 650, I'm learning to speak Strom. I like the Tiger 800 found a good deal on new 2011 800xc demo but still hell of expensive. I got a great deal on my Strom and didn't have to go into dept to get it so i'm happy with that. I'm sure I'll be at Pilsbury a few times this year, I have a friend with a site in West Shore, I've always boat camped but don't have a boat anymore for safty reasons.
Was going to ride 36,3,299 to Redding this weekend to viset my son but he has other plans so not sure where to ride, maybe I'll post on the local tread.
I looked up the Shinko 705s tires, nice I'll be getting some of those when I need some tires. I hope to make the next Mendo Rally and I'm keeping a eye out for other group rides as well.
barefootbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #439
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
LOL vee is a 1000 and wee is a 650, I'm learning to speak Strom. I like the Tiger 800 found a good deal on new 2011 800xc demo but still hell of expensive. I got a great deal on my Strom and didn't have to go into dept to get it so i'm happy with that. I'm sure I'll be at Pilsbury a few times this year, I have a friend with a site in West Shore, I've always boat camped but don't have a boat anymore for safty reasons.
Was going to ride 36,3,299 to Redding this weekend to viset my son but he has other plans so not sure where to ride, maybe I'll post on the local tread.
I looked up the Shinko 705s tires, nice I'll be getting some of those when I need some tires. I hope to make the next Mendo Rally and I'm keeping a eye out for other group rides as well.
Ah! Thanks fpr the correction, obviously I dont speak Strom but that makes sense.... always wondered why people used "wee-strom" I thought it was just a cute nickname... When you come up this way PM me and we can get together for a ride, I know some good stuff close.....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #440
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Anybody interested in a ride out of Mt. Shasta? We are putting together a "State of Jefferson" rally for Aug. 24th thru the 26th, at Lake Siskiyou resort. If you might wanna come PM me or just look up the thread, Lake Siskiyou, CA ride. It will be a first but will be great !! Cory, hope you don't mind if I steal your in/out list idea...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #441
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
Hey, Who was "Jandro"? I just noticed that the soft cushy Pack Towel I found down by the lake had a name tag on it.

Do you want it back?

Joe
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #442
SuRfR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Mendo NF Rally 2013?

Will there be a 2013 rally?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #443
boney
Ride > Post