User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Bandit 1200 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Suzuki Bandit

Has anyone ever tried doing a little off road riding on a Bandit 1200s.
Bandit 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit 1200 View Post
Well I can sort of see why you are here, but be prepared to go back to road warriors

Um, yes. But that depends on how fast and how far you want to go. The old ones are not that heavy by today's rigid frame, water cooled, 50mm USD fork standards but you will bottom out and get stuck in spots an Adventure Tourer will go over and you will bottom out suspension very quickly if you go fast-ish. on unpredictable rough stuff.

Take it easy, put appropriate tyres on, know it's limits and it will go a few places.
I mean it's like those old general purpose bikes that people used to take lot's of places, but a bit more carefully and slower than a big pig adventure Tourer these days, that's all.

That was back in the days when a bike was a bike and you went to rally's with your bike, and went "places" on your bike and went around bends and stuff..Before full leather suits and twat suits and new advanced marketing niches were invented.

But anyway here is a guy on an R1 to give you an idea...

And the other guy on an R1...

The R1 is lighter but it has those funny short handle bars and strange riding position.

But sometimes you will just have to give up, park it and walk...

As some famous tough guy once said

Quote:
A man's gota know his [bikes] limitations

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 09:11 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Bandit 1200 OP
Adventurer

Any ideas how i could increase the ground clearance, or protect the pipes better, i no my seat height is an inch or 2 shorter then adventure bikes.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Any ideas how i could increase the ground clearance, or protect the pipes better, i no my seat height is an inch or 2 shorter then adventure bikes.
Fabricate some raising links for the rear shock to easily gain up to an inch. Some aftermarket shock manufacturers allow you to specify if you want to gain or lose height/travel, too. You can have custom fork uppers machined to extend them; your travel won't change, obviously, but the added length will allow you to slide them farther down in the triples. They're just steel tubes, nothing special, nothing too expensive. Strom forks are 43mm; they might slide right in.

You may be able to swap Strom wheels which will give you a better array of rubber, but Continental does make the TKC-80 in Multistrada sizes, now If you do swap wheels, you'll have to be careful with a 19" front, though; make sure you have enough clearance with the suspension compressed. Not sure about how the chain would line up with the rear sprocket, either... but guys run GSX-R wheels on Stroms and I think that isn't an issue

As for a bash plate, you'll probably have to make one from scratch. A GS plate might be a good starting point just because of the shape and overall width.

It all depends on how wild you want to get. A little extra clearance and a little better tire go a long way if you want to run some gravel or washed-out dirt roads. If we're talking single-track stuff, well, pretty much any 1000cc bike is a bad idea.

I've always really liked the idea of an adventure Bandit. It's just such a great bike! I still have fleeting ambitions once in a while of building a CBR1000RR Repsol Adventure. Something about 170hp on fire roads just seems like a great idea! Good luck!
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,193
Quote:
I've owned two of them. Not saying it can't be done, more why?

For what it would take to make it half serious dirt worthy wouldn't be worth the money
and undoing what makes it a fun street ride.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I've owned two of them. Not saying it can't be done, more why?

For what it would take to make it half serious dirt worthy wouldn't be worth the money
and undoing what makes it a fun street ride.
Because the only question which matters is: Why not?

Let's examine the R1200 GS. Is the GS not a fun road bike? Is it killing the roadworthy fun of the R1200 R? Is the DL1000 ruining the fun of the SV1000?

I think most people who read these questions miss the point. If the owner wanted a Strom or a GS or KTM Adventure, he'd own one. How did Ducati make a road bike a half-serious dirt runner? They added a beak.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
dhula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Not wanting to kill your enthusiasm for converting you bandit to make it more dirt road worthy or anything but IMO get yourself a more suitable starting point I think.

I had a GSF1250 and tried a bit of light dirt road and it wasn't for me at all so I went out and got myself a DL1000 (in the end). While the DL1000 is not the bestest off road bike, it's not what I wanted it for. I wanted to be able to tackle dirt roads with more confidence and less sphincter.
For me the DL1000 has done that. I was more confident in the first 5 mins on the DL than I'd ever been on the bandit riding on the dirt.
The DL1000 doesn't loose too much to the bandit on road I don't thiink - either that or I've just slowed down a bit.
dhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
Because the only question which matters is: Why not?

Let's examine the R1200 GS. Is the GS not a fun road bike? Is it killing the roadworthy fun of the R1200 R? Is the DL1000 ruining the fun of the SV1000?

I think most people who read these questions miss the point. If the owner wanted a Strom or a GS or KTM Adventure, he'd own one.
How did Ducati make a road bike a half-serious dirt runner? They added a beak.
Maybe. I think it's more they decide they want a different style bike and try to make what they
have into what they want. Budget may not allow multiple bikes.

I just think trying to turn street bikes into DS bikes gets weird with steering geometry,
ground clearance, power band delivery, limited suspension and wheel sizes.

I've seen threads where some very talented people have pulled off some impressive
conversions. More a labor of love than a practical anyone can do set up.

Mostly seems like a make do effort until they get the style of bike they really want.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
BIKE-R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
My buddy tried with passenger and fully loaded :)

Bandit 1250 - OFF-ROAD on Crimean Peninsula-1

Bandit 1250 - OFF-ROAD on Crimean Peninsula-2

Bandit 1250 - OFF-ROAD on Crimean Peninsula - VIDEO
-------------------------------------
'03 HONDA XL1000V VARADERO, '06 SUZUKI DRZ400S ADV
BIKE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Bandit 1200 OP
Adventurer

How did that work for your buddy, did he have the suspension set up any different.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
........ well, pretty much any 1000cc bike is a bad idea.

I've always really liked the idea of an adventure Bandit. It's just such a great bike! I still have fleeting ambitions once in a while of building a CBR1000RR Repsol Adventure. Something about 170hp on fire roads just seems like a great idea! Good luck!
I think I'd look to the new Kawasaki Versys 1000 for inspiration. That seems to be about the same as what's being proposed. Kawi went 17" on the front so they didn't get over that hump and it still has low pipes also. Of course they don't really bill it as an Adventure bike per se, but rather a "go on any road" kinda bike. Maybe with that in mind a similar configuration for the Bandit could work.

I also agree that unless you already had one and didn't mind mucking it up, or you just really wanted something with a torquey 4 cyl engine and supremely different, I'd consider starting with something else. But stranger things have been accomplished so I would not say "forget it" entirely.

If you do go forward with it, post up your progress and ideas.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
BIKE-R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
How did that work for your buddy, did he have the suspension set up any different.
It worked well. Suspension were set up the hardest position.
-------------------------------------
'03 HONDA XL1000V VARADERO, '06 SUZUKI DRZ400S ADV
BIKE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #13
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

I've seen threads where some very talented people have pulled off some impressive
conversions. More a labor of love than a practical anyone can do set up.
The Bandit is a lightweight. It's like a trail bike compared to some.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Bandit 1200 OP
Adventurer

the clickers were set to the hardest? or did he mess with the sag or anything