Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #31
barra
trying to get there

Oddometer: 1,318
Blencoe falls, a great spot. I'd like to have a run in from the back way, as the road up from kennedy seems to be closed??

THe camp site

barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #32
dirt rider X
tropical traveller

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchy View Post
Not sure if you know this - There are other tracks that go parallel to the culpa, but are only a tiny bit further west. They come out on koombaloomba dam Rd and are not as much in the rainforest as the Culpa, and are open since Yasi. So you can still do a similar route as part of a dirt trip from wherever (eg Townsville to Cairns), but use a different track than the Culpa.

I never got to ride the culpa and i doubt it will reopen
Snatchy have you got first hand knowledge of the Red Rd being rideable?
I've only seen the Kirrama end since Yasi and it had timber down everywhere
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt rider X View Post
Snatchy have you got first hand knowledge of the Red Rd being rideable?
I've only seen the Kirrama end since Yasi and it had timber down everywhere
Hi Mate. Just 2nd hand info that i would trust - guy i speak to went on it just before christmas. I'm keen to do a day trip from the coast, up and around the red road and back down the H road (think its still blocked??) or maybe down the Mallan/K-tree roads . Maybe in a month or three when its not so friggen hot! Anyone else thinks its a bit warm lately?
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Mt Mulligan

Got a call on short notice to ride to Mt Mulligan on Sunday, the Hodkinson river was the only flooded obstacle but would be passable with a push due to fast flow at 450mm deep and round rocks.
I imagine the Mitchell would also be up and require care at the old Cooktown crossing which is a concrete causeway.

This is a good loop for any local riders (or visitors) looking to clock up the K's or camp along the way, you can follow this road out through Kondaparinga Station and meet the Highway just north of Mt Carbine on the Cooktown road/Mulligan Hwy.

If history is your thing there is lots of that on this road as well.

Photo of Mt Mulligan to the north of us on the main track from Dimbulah, this is the Hodkinson Goldfields area.

The route link if it works http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ms...98689,0.266075

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)

Kenno screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 12:01 AM
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #35
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer: 226
Riding partner sought - Canadian in Cairns needs local knowledge

Yippee - finally some local info.
In Cairns for 3 months each year and picked up a KLR650 so see the local sights and mild offroad ( Black Mountain was fun especially past Quaid )

But I KNOW there is much more around ( and OP I'm not adverse to cane fields as I need to get my off road skills brushed up after a long lay off ) I do touring and twisties in Canada.

Here's what I've covered so far in this area.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-second-season

Looking to do more in the Herberton area - just went for a ride up to Milaa Milaa today but left too late to do any exploring.

Want to do more up the Daintree area but that coast road solo is a bit daunting.

Generally available anytime for a ride ( have 43 years experience on 2 wheels ) but not a whole lot offroad since Bultaco days too many decades ago.

KLR suits me fine but would like to have a riding partner just for safety considerations and local knowledge. GF would be much happier if I'm not out solo as cell coverage here is pretty spotty away from town..
Will tag this thread for posts but contact is preferred by email macdoc@macdoc.com

In Edgehill in Cairns and like to ride anywhere in 150 km radius. Prefer to get going early before it's too hot. Happy to do up to 300k loops - no over nights. No camping but happy to do a ride out with someone who is.

Tend to be a sight seer rather than airborne through the whoops but hit the bottom a few spots on Black Mountain . much fun..I will be doing that again from the other end ( started at Kuranda the first run ).

Not adverse to pavement only trips as well.....love your rolling hills one laners - the Milaa Milaa loop was very nice.

Not a fair weather ride - rain in reasonable quantity and wet stream crossings not an issue.

Current ride 2005 KLR650 with a very useful top case and 80/20 tires ( road/offroad )
Love the big tank and range. This was on the Black Mountain Road in the Mowbray Park section past Quaid.
Adore this kind of stuff.

macdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #36
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
But I KNOW there is much more around ( and OP I'm not adverse to cane fields as I need to get my off road skills brushed up after a long lay off ) I do touring and twisties in Canada.

Looking to do more in the Herberton area - just went for a ride up to Milaa Milaa today but left too late to do any exploring.
I'm in brisbane at the moment, but should be back home in cairns soon. Don't have a whole lot of free time though.

I grew up around Herberton. When you head into town from atherton way, the first right (I think) is empress avenue. Head up that and then take the second right (all the other right turns from here are dead ends) and it'll take you into a really nice dirt road that's pretty long, and ends up in a "town" called watsonville. It has about 5 houses, but you can't miss it... windmill in the middle of the road. Literally. From there head right to irvinebank, starts out sealed but is a big wide dirt road dirt most of the way (watch out for local traffic on this road... they're bloody insane).

From the irvinebank pub you can fuel up and have lunch, and it's worth looking around (it's got a lot of history). Then either head to Mount Garnet (a bit hard to find this trail, you'll want a GPS unless you're comfortable exploring and possibly get lost) then through to innot hot springs on the highway, and turn off into silver valley which gets you back to herberton. If you don't want to do the irvinebank to garnet part, then at least head down silver valley road (just enter it from the herberton side, then turn around and head back). It's worth it.

Or you can head west from irvinebank to petford, then from there head back to cairns on the highway. This route is clearly signed.

If the river isn't too flooded, you can also get back to atherton from herberton on firetrails, but you will absolutely want a GPS for that. And there are some properly muddy hill climbs, and others so rocky they'll eat your tyres.

Mount Garnet, Atherton, and Ravenshoe are the only reliable places to get fuel. Irvinebank has fuel too, but it's just a pub and one time they were closed when I turned up.

Everything I've mentioned here has been mapped out (mostly by me) at http://openstreetmap.org/. You can also buy a really good road atlas (not a paper map, it's a proper book) of the tablelands from most newsagencies. Most international maps (including google and many commercial GPS units) are unreliable out that way, full of errors.

Another great road is from petford to mount garnet, but I haven't mapped this yet. I can send you a GPX file if you want. You can do Herberton -> Watsonville -> Irvinebank -> Petford -> Mount Garnet -> Silver Valley -> Herberton, with pretty much all dirt roads, mostly nice open stuff. Maybe when I get back we can do that ride together.

For pavement trips... head up the gillies, to Millaa Millaa, then take the "tourist drive" (across the road from the main highway) to Ravenshoe and from there to Atherton. From Atherton ride north east towards lake Tinaroo and ride around the whole lake (a bit of dirt here, but nothing serious, full of 2WD traffic), it comes out at the top of the gillies, which you get to ride down again. Wohoo! And it's worth riding up past daintree, across the daintree river ferry (bring cash), and to cape tribulation. I haven't really been north of cape tribulation, so don't know what else is up there, but from the daintree ferry to cape tribulation is magic riding.

Maybe we can catch up for a beer or maybe a ride when I'm back up north in a week or two.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 03:56 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #37
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by barra View Post
Blencoe falls, a great spot. I'd like to have a run in from the back way, as the road up from kennedy seems to be closed??

THe camp site

Barra there's some talk in the T'Ville Bully that some coin is being invested this year to the Kirrama range rd, Bob Katter stirred them up and made the Captain Bligh cough up for the election.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #38
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Abhi
Great stuff thanks. No GPS but I will pick up that road atlas for sure.

Don't want to do fire trails solo and my 80/20 road tires not so good for steep ( Black Mountain past Quaid was a tad squirrelly for one climb )

Can you download the Opensource maps? I usually carry my spare lappie with me.

One thing I really enjoy is the range on the KLR so fuel is rarely a stress - 23 litres and the damn thing sips gas even on the trails.

Did that Black Mountain Ride from Cairns to Kuranda and then across BMR to the Highlander for lunch- back down to Captain Cook down the Rex and home at 80-100kph and total used was 10 litres of 23.

Down side is it's road geared so any tractor stuff will be iffy. Good part of that and the tires it's sweet in the twisties tho I lost the front end a bit on the Gillies today on those tar strips - very slippy at noon - cooled the pace when they were present.

Looking at Herberton on Thursday so thanks for the route. Might rent a GPS and a PLB for the time I"m here.

Will try the Atlas first - I don't mind getting lost in a "fenced" area where there are some visible high points for general navigation. Part of the fun.

Thanks again - when you get back just let me know where and when - like to keep in a 300k loop max and start early. Email is best as I'm online all the time when not riding ( and sometimes there as well when there is coverage or a MacDs - how I run my biz from here.

Do want to do some around Lake Koombooloomba but that might require an overnight in the area to do properly - I do detest that ride home into the sun from S of Cairns.....I think next time I'm just gonna wait til later.

macdoc screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 04:14 AM
Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #39
soul_adventurer OP
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 345
the road to blenco falls from kennedy should be open as i drove up in my jeep not long after cyclone yasi came past. i was trying to show a friend of mine but we couldnt get there as the workmen were still clearing the track. i reckon they were about 80% completed. so of course, by now the job will be done and the track will be open.

i may be able to go for a ride this coming weekend if anyone is interested.
the trip is a day trip from innisfail. so from cairns it will be a cinch.
you can return via mt garnet and tablelands way etc. some dirt, some balck top. some nice sightseeing. if its raining the road will still be ok.

im going back to work on march 1st for about 5 weeks.
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #40
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

I'm away this weekend but look forward to report.

Back Monday and will be eager to ride.

Only open to a light ride tomorrow until we get back from Brisbane.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #41
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Wrenching in Cairns?

Used to do my own but not any more. Will likely need tires by the end of the 3 months here given the amount of highway I'm doing ( average 150k per day over the week ).

Also will need someone reliable for basic service, oil change etc.

Suggestions as to honest mechanic in the area appreciated.
Or should I just hit the Kawi dealer? ( assuming there is one )

Also looking for suggestions on 70/30 tires as they will be up for replacement.

TIA
Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #42
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Go and see Dean at Bits or Bikes. He's on brown Street, Westcourt, it runs off Scott Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Wrenching in Cairns?

Used to do my own but not any more. Will likely need tires by the end of the 3 months here given the amount of highway I'm doing ( average 150k per day over the week ).

Also will need someone reliable for basic service, oil change etc.

Suggestions as to honest mechanic in the area appreciated.
Or should I just hit the Kawi dealer? ( assuming there is one )

Also looking for suggestions on 70/30 tires as they will be up for replacement.

TIA
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #43
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Great thanks - will pop over next week.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post
the road to blenco falls from kennedy should be open .
It has a gate near the bottom to stop vehicles (hint) using the track. Some bridges are undergoing repair. More info here;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=kirrama
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #45
soul_adventurer OP
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 345
so i must have been lucky to get through just after the cylone when they were still clearing the road. i didnt notice any bridges needing repair. i drove up in my jeep at the time. and the work crews were driving dozers and big trucks up there too. i wonder what happened since then?
there was always a gate at the kennedy side. we always just drove around it!
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote