Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #46
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer: 226
BTW thanks for the tip on Bikes and Bits.
Dean was great and I'm taking the KLR over today to turn it into a single passenger rig - there by saving some significant dollars on the yearly costs. He also told me where to get keys

Seems a good guy.

He's got a little 225 Yamaha over there we're going see if it fits height challenged mum and daughter

I got my Air Hawk from home and that was a nice treat tho added an inch to my seat height which I could feel at the stop lights - will be NOT using it on the trails
Bloody KLR is tall - at least cutting the rear part of the seat out lets me slide my foot over easier ;)
macdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #47
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Ride-On tire sealant seems the better choice over Slime from other rider's experience.
http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html
Anyone know a source in Cairns?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #48
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Can you download the Opensource maps? I usually carry my spare lappie with me.
Yep, you can download it from a variety of places on the web, such as: http://www.osmaustralia.org/downloads.php

But I'm probably not the best person to ask how to get it installed on a PC, maybe try heading over to the Layin' down tracks forum if you're not sure how to get it working.

Quote:
Wrenching in Cairns?

Used to do my own but not any more. Will likely need tires by the end of the 3 months here given the amount of highway I'm doing ( average 150k per day over the week ).
Wayne Leonard's have always treated me right as well. And they're a nice big shop with more stuff in stock than most places. It's near the CBD, on Water St just off Mulgrave Rd/Florence St.

They're the KTM/Suzuki/Triumph/Harley dealer in cairns, and also sell secondhand bikes of any make, and gear, and tyres, and workshop, etc. They also do motorcycle towing, so it's worth grabbing their number at least.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 12:24 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #49
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Thanks - never hurts to have an option and will pop buy to look at the toys.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #50
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Black Mountain

Ye Olde Log Bridge in the Black Mountain area near Julatten

Several bike pilots have missed that little landing strip, lucky its half way to the Mt Molloy pub.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #51
elaineo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ride to Cooktown, Cape Flattery

Hi folks,

I know this is late notice, but there are 2 of us on XT600s, we're in Cairns right now awaiting some repairs at Bits for Bikes (awesome shop as far as I can tell, he's trying to rig up some replacement spokes when every other shop in town told us we'd have to wait for them to ship from Japan).

ANYWAY, we are hoping to leave Cairns around high noon this saturday, then ride up to Cape Trib via Daintree. After that, we plan to take the 4wd track to Cooktown and then some trails to Cape Flattery and possibly beyond, depending on how things go.

We would greatly appreciate any route recommendations, particularly if anyone knows anything about current conditions up there. Any company is also welcome! Our schedule is quite flexible, right now the plan is to make it to Darwin in a few weeks :)

Elaine
elaineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #52
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

If you want to make a bit of a nice warm up ride then go towards Kuranda and take Black Mountain Road across to Julatten - just did it last week and enjoyed the ride. Total distance is 56k
About 1/3 of winding pavement, 1/3 of winding dirt roads and 1/3 of forest track goes through the edges of Kuranda National Forest and Mowbray National Park.
You will come to one fork that is completely unmarked as to which way to go - stay right.
You will cross the Quaid Highway and then it becomes more of a forest track - there was one log on the trail that only had enough room to slip the bike through - otherwise a fun ride - only one uphill that will be easy on your bikes - my KLR is highway geared and 80/20 tires so was a bit of a chore.
Some whoops on the forest track that are fun. Mind the loose horses tho.

When you come out the other end there is a decent bar/restaurant The Highlander on your left then you can head down the Rex for some twisties fun and on to Daintree.

Some pics and a bit more detail here on the last page
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-second-season
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #53
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Back in town, KLR turned to a single seater
Up for a ride this week road or combination as long as not too long -
Early start ( 6=7 am preferred )

No ride too short to consider.....even cane fields ;)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #54
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
No ride too short to consider.....even cane fields ;)
Speaking of short rides... Have you been up to Lake Morris (also known as Coperlode Dam) in the hills behind cairns? It's a narrow (very narrow) sealed range that starts in Kanimbla and goes to a small cafe/park overlooking a dam in the middle of the forest.

It's a dead end, you've gotta take the same way back. Takes 30 minutes to 1 hour each way depending how fast you push it (careful! uneaven surface and possibility of wet leaves to make the corners slipery). It's worth going at the end of the day, since there are a few lookouts with a great view of the city lights near the bottom of the range. They're popular around sunset.

View Map
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #55
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Ride - Monday 27th Feb

Day ride starting at Koah, head down Clohesy River Road and then see where the day ends. Back hopefully before dark. Any takers?
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #56
poulviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Speaking of short rides... Have you been up to Lake Morris (also known as Coperlode Dam) in the hills behind cairns? It's a narrow (very narrow) sealed range that starts in Kanimbla and goes to a small cafe/park overlooking a dam in the middle of the forest.

It's a dead end, you've gotta take the same way back. Takes 30 minutes to 1 hour each way depending how fast you push it (careful! uneaven surface and possibility of wet leaves to make the corners slipery). It's worth going at the end of the day, since there are a few lookouts with a great view of the city lights near the bottom of the range. They're popular around sunset.

View Map
and for a bit of a walk: spot on 10 k's up from the turn off there's a pull over area in the grass on the right. 30 meters or so on the left there's a gate. walk past the gate and around the powerline tower and you can get to stand on the "white rock" bloody impressive view. Not sure if you can get small bike around the gate but I don't think so.
poulviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #57
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galbo950 View Post
Day ride starting at Koah, head down Clohesy River Road and then see where the day ends. Back hopefully before dark. Any takers?

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #58
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Well 2 will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
I'm in.
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #59
soul_adventurer OP
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 329
would like to but im back at work again on saturday for about 5 weeks.
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #60
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
What's the weather doing up that way, any sign of a wet season yet?

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote