Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #61
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
No signs of a big wet at this stage, bit of annoying rain but not enough to flood the bridge to my place, i managed about 5 days off work last year to localised flooding. Sadly nothing this year, i feel a little ripped off as everyone was predicting another big wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
What's the weather doing up that way, any sign of a wet season yet?
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #62
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by galbo950 View Post
No signs of a big wet at this stage, bit of annoying rain but not enough to flood the bridge to my place, i managed about 5 days off work last year to localised flooding. Sadly nothing this year, i feel a little ripped off as everyone was predicting another big wet.
Might see some action this weekend, the monsoon trough is on the march south, so much for the 12 cyclones predicted although it could be a wet March and April a late one. Another wet Easter

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #63
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I just hope it stays dry for the next couple of days! It'd be nice to get home dry.

I rode from cairns to brisbane on the first day of all that flooding down here 4 weeks ago, and rode for *seven hours* in torrential rain with standing water all over the motorway.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #64
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer: 226
I'm good for that Koah ride on the 27th if not too strenuous. Sent a PM
What is meetup time and where?

Tried to get through from the Myola Road end but no go - looks like the old rail line would be the only method.
pics here of the bed of the Barron - so no big wet yet ( last post )

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d-season/page2

••

Talked to GF and might have an over night coming next weekend so plotting where to go. She has a one day conference in the South so there is a window for me to explore a bit further.

Options are Cookstown run or a dive to the south a bit and more mixed National Parks, coastal range.
Open to suggestions and co-rider(s)

Just ran GoogleMap 3d on the Cairns to Cooktown and think I will do that for sure
- just checking if GF wants to do it by car.
383 km is a nice day starting earlier with lots of time for breaks.
Any suggestions for things along the way or places to stay in or near Cooktown
TIA

•••
abhibeckert
Yeah the Copperlode road is 5 minutes from home here in Cairns but went up too early - gates only open at 8 - actually not a bad idea for today - nice ride up - lots of bicycles and hikers - much fun given it's right in the city. Actually will do that this afternoon as no rain threatening and nice to get up a bit higher.

macdoc screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 06:24 PM
macdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #65
rallyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
rallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #66
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Ok, 3 expressions of interest for Monday. Possible plan is to start at the Koah servo at around 730 - 8am. Do the Clohesy River Road route and come out on Davies Creek Road. Theres a few options on the Clohesy track depending on how people feel. Maybe take a look at Davies Creek Falls while were there for a breather then continue on. Head down Tinaroo Creek Road to Tinaroo for lunch then make our way back. Few different options for the return trip. Sound ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galbo950 View Post
Day ride starting at Koah, head down Clohesy River Road and then see where the day ends. Back hopefully before dark. Any takers?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #67
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Map shows the Clohesy Road closed part way in .....or rather permit required plus some gates by the looks of it.

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/dav...ill/about.html

something I'm missing?

This and narrower looks fine

( ie Black Mountain north of the Quaid was fine ) but not sure about more rugged as the KLR tires are 80 street and the damn thing is geared high.

I'll certainly tag along until it looks too gnarly but some heads up as to expected conditions would be appreciated. TIA

I assume it's this route

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8xcRr4uQYMLc2A

Quote:
Starting from the Clohesy and just after the 2nd main crossing a fairly obvious road leads off from the right, to the south, and is marked by one of those vehicular access restriction signs. Being a rule abiding citizen I’ll describe this journey on foot.
It’s about 300m along a readily drivable road to the Clohesy crossing and a good spot to enjoy the riverine scenery and a potential campsite for a long distance trail. The crossing could be quite tricky in the wet season if a log bridge can’t be found. The gradual ascent begins immediately after the crossing and the road/track rises through pleasant open eucalypt woodland with views increasing with altitude. At about 1.7km you come to a particularly steep section that stops most vehicles anyway. Not far to the top now, reached at about 3km and an altitude of 644m from the river at 433m so you will have expended a bit of energy but the scenery is excellent with alternating rainforest patches, tall eucalypt forest and views over your shoulder. Apart from one short steep drop into Wallaroo Ck the descent to Bridle Creek is more gradual and again I found the scenery and forest types interesting all the way. In particular a very nice grove of grass trees near Bridle Ck and an unusual understory of Cardwell Lillies in the descent to Wallaroo. All up it’s about 7km from the Clohesy Rd to the Bridle Ck Rd
Parts in bold?? - how steep is steep? - klr sucks in anything muddy

and just how "not done" is ignoring the no vehicles signs should there be any??...being a visitor n'all...

Maybe I'll ride up tomorrow and have a look at the first section...

Hey found this pic in the area crossing Davies Creek - is that typical ?? Seems doable if not slippery

macdoc screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 05:06 AM
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #68
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Enjoyed the ride today on Davie's Creek road - much fun BUT no idea how you can go past the end of the road and hook up elsewhere.

First there is a sign...okay - just a sign
THEN there is a size large pair of logs about 24" off the ground and with a gap between them than a person or a bicycle can get through - not a hop on a mcycle of any sort..

and it's a sheer drop on either end of the logs

Also the trail is a loop 10 km - 6 hours by foot according to the map and pretty severe. Kahlpalhim Rock trail.

So no idea how you guys are going to get to Clohesy other than by the highway...

Davies Creek Road tho is just a lovely ride.

Explored a bit around Clohesy but the was uncertain of the crossing - looked maybe 1/2 meter deep to the right and about 20 m wide

Figured out on my own I'd wait on Monday -

No where near as pretty as Davies tho I did not go far due to the crossing.

Overall very dry in the area.

A few enjoyable hours spent and good coffee across the highway from Davie's turn off - but he's closed Monday.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #69
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,574
I cycle some of those tracks often and so can help here.

Lake Morris road (copperload) is bitumen up to the dam wall and there is a locked gate so you ahve to turn around and exit the same way. yes, there are gates before the water reserve I think they are open between 08:00 and 18:00.

Chlosey river road (just on the mareeba side of Koah Road house) heads to teh water reserve and comes to a locked gate as well. Before you get to that gate, there is another that is bridal creek, also locked and rocked all around.

the creek crossings are variable depending on rain.

IF ON THIS ROAD PLEASE BE CAREFULL - A LOT OF MOUNTAIN BIKERS USE IT FOR TRAINING AND WE GO PRETTY FAST AS WELL.

Davies Creek, yep, you got as far as you could to that picture of the bars with the narrow gap. After that the road gets VERY bad, its not maintained since Larry. with some others we hiked up to Kaphalim on New Years. there used to be a track through to Tinaroo whcih we tried a few years back and turned around. It pretty much heads to Kaphalim and thats it - and you wont want to hike up there in motro bike kit!

about 1.5 km before the camping area at Davies creek, there is a track on the left, the other end of Bridle creek. it too has a locked gate.

Davies creek is a high use traffic area with many water holes and camp sites. the road surface is that really loose slidy gravel - be carefull

hope that helps

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #70
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Dont stress, i use the tracks on a regular basis. Theres more than one track that will take us from Clohesy River Road to Davies Creek Road. We can even leave out the hills of death...... There will be a small section of bitumen to take us from Davies Creek to Tinaroo Creek. As for the few locked gates, there are many alternatives so you wont get deported as a result of this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Enjoyed the ride today on Davie's Creek road - much fun BUT no idea how you can go past the end of the road and hook up elsewhere.

First there is a sign...okay - just a sign
THEN there is a size large pair of logs about 24" off the ground and with a gap between them than a person or a bicycle can get through - not a hop on a mcycle of any sort..

and it's a sheer drop on either end of the logs

Also the trail is a loop 10 km - 6 hours by foot according to the map and pretty severe. Kahlpalhim Rock trail.

So no idea how you guys are going to get to Clohesy other than by the highway...

Davies Creek Road tho is just a lovely ride.

Explored a bit around Clohesy but the was uncertain of the crossing - looked maybe 1/2 meter deep to the right and about 20 m wide

Figured out on my own I'd wait on Monday -

No where near as pretty as Davies tho I did not go far due to the crossing.

Overall very dry in the area.

A few enjoyable hours spent and good coffee across the highway from Davie's turn off - but he's closed Monday.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #71
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

cool

••

Quote:
We can even leave out the hills of death
yes please

BTW do you go across the river/creek whatever where I took that pic on the Clohesy?

Nothing like local talent to find the fun.

macdoc screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 03:25 AM
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #72
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Yep we'll be crossing that one and about anothr half dozen of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
cool

yes please

BTW do you go across the river/creek whatever where I took that pic on the Clohesy?

Nothing like local talent to find the fun.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #73
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

k- extra pair of socks into the top box

ah where's my old Sherpa when most needed....must admit tho the Honda TL was a treat as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #74
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,242
greetings from new entrant

Hi Guys,

Not the best photo, taken at Barron Gorge yesterday. it was the sign that amused me.

Chiming in here for the first time since arriving from Darwin. Me and the Missus have just relocated from NT and am looking forward to some local riding, just like you are planning here.

Will be tuning in regularly and putting in my two bobs worth on the local thread and getting involved in some of your day rides.

I ride DR650se and the missus, a DRZ250.

I have a website (see signature) which is NT orientated, but will be redirecting it to be more FNQ orientated. I like to share rides, photos and videos from rides that I do, through my website and also have DR specific information for owners.
I have also placed a direct link to the ADV cairns region thread on my bike forums page now, which makes it easier to find than jumbling through the whole ADV site.

Looking forward to meeting some local adventure riders and getting amongst it.

be in touch.

Kezza

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #75
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Hey - more people to ride with. I'm available most days up to 5 pm - less so on the weekend. Prefer early starts.

•••

My riding partner Jay from Canada

That's him with me on the way to The James Bay Road

( I travel a little lighter - have 108 litres of storage inside on the Burgman Exec with the top box and just had to carry 10 ltres of fuel on the buddy seat - one reason I love the KLR - 23 litres in the tank!!! )

more pics here

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...light=matagami

way the hell and gone north of civilization - I had a caribou running in the bush beside me !!! 380 k between gas stops so we carried fuel. We've done some good rides in the the US - Pennsylvania ( incredibly good roads and mcycle friendly ) and Lake Placid area ( also terrific twisties ).

Jay is giving serious consideration to coming here in April for couple of months - cross over with me before I leave mid-month April - maybe ride the KLR or rent/buy something.

Looking for

accommodation ( a self contained furnished flat ) - there seem some nice ones out in Palm Cove about $200 a week but chime in with ideas.

Mcycle to buy or rent - dual purpose for shorter rider ( he rides a lowered Vstrom 650 at home. )
Likely a mountain bike as well.

Things to do
He's hiker, diver, skydiver all sorts of outdoor sports so this is heaven for him and made enough money before 40 to take a couple years off ....sigh...he's frugal tho to stretch it
So he's having fun on a budget.
He should show up in a bit on here.

Should be a few more Canucks visit now there is a one hop flight from Toronto.