Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #76
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,629
I rode Chlosey River road this morning on teh mountain bike, creeks are fine, nor more than 10" deep, the deepest one.
track is good and moist but not wet
Watch out for wash outs / erosion by the rain, some sharp rocks, they they are probably worse on an MTB!
of course, that was this morning, could be different tomorrow!

Enjoy

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #77
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Oddometer: 228
Thanks for update
Not much rain today so should be okay

so this one down to 10"??

any potholes? in the stream crossing that is...

macdoc screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 11:59 PM
macdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #78
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Stop stressing, the creek crossings will be the least of your worries.... Be more concerned if you hear any banjos playing. Seea at the servo around 730ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Thanks for update
Not much rain today so should be okay

so this one down to 10"??

any potholes? in the stream crossing that is...
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #79
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

here too eh ? ;)

Stressing about my tires especially now its raining....

Looks like it's not much up on the tablelands - even going to Copperlode yesterday there was light rain in Cairns and nothing up there.

Looks like the sun is out around 9 with the usual chance of Tstorms.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...yhour/ASXX0161

Cooler tho which is nice.

macdoc screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 11:43 AM
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #80
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by galbo950 View Post
Dont stress, i use the tracks on a regular basis. Theres more than one track that will take us from Clohesy River Road to Davies Creek Road. We can even leave out the hills of death...... There will be a small section of bitumen to take us from Davies Creek to Tinaroo Creek. As for the few locked gates, there are many alternatives so you wont get deported as a result of this trip.

I'd love to see a map or gpx file with those alternatives.

Connecting davies creek to tinaroo would mike my weekend visits to family a whole lot more interesting. The only riding area I really know is south west of atherton/herberton.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #81
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

now about those cane field runs.....

had a good time on the Clohesy/Tinaroo run today - I clocked about 175k with perhaps 100 in dirt.
The limitation of current KLR tires was VERY apparent with a couple of slides outs trying to climb one rather muddy hill.
The creeks I was concerned about turned to be no problem tho better traction would never hurt - good fun but the muddy hill was beyond rider and bike to negotiate...

First slide out not so bad hit a branch with the front tire which slid on it - I stayed sort of up, bike laid down....huffing and puffing and managed to get a going with help but then traction just disappeared further up the hill and aging rider found himself nicely pinned by 500 lb of KLR on a marginally armoured ankle.- Fortunately a combination of mud, thick socks and the Nike shin guard protected me enough Moto boots on the bring from Canada list.

More muscle getting boot out from under - no damage to rider beyond frustration but busted clutch lever made for a rather interesting ride out of the area to Mareeba for a $20 fix. I could sort of hold it in place to get going.
Annoyed at myself as I had the stock KLR hand guards and forgot to put them on the bike before I left. Been so long since I've taken a tumble .......handle bars were out of position as well so the guards might not have helped.

Did manage to stay upright after that 'cept for a good face plant at the lunch stop which brought some well deserved snarks about Canadian co-ordination. Fiddling with camera and missed a step.

An almost front wheel washout coming into Tinaroo really made the message on knobbie need hit home - down from the dam on pavement - some loose sand sitting on the smooth concrete of the small bridge made the rear slide out as well on the way back up tho that was not an issue - the front wheel near wash out tho....not good.

That sort of did it for "NEED APPROPRIATE TIRES!!" decision.
The front was getting there anyway and the roads are way too much fun to have to squirm through them on quasi- road tires.....50/50 something coming up.

While the armoured jacket and gloves did their job - lack of moto- boots and pants - even tho not an issue this time....will need to be addressed next season.....and a set of goggles - too much dust.
See what kid has at home and make do with getting decent tires this round.

KNobbies should get me through with more confidence in direction and traction especially at my tourist pace. Will be going tomorrow I hope to discuss.

Anyways much thanks to the guys who all patient and helpful and good chit chat around lunch solving world problems

Minor pics soon. Gonna go back to a couple of the areas for a more leisurely sight seeing.....when it's dry.

Had fun, got home in one piece after a couple of spills.....not a bad day.

Thanks guys.

macdoc screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 11:46 PM
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #82
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 575
I'll be keeping an eye on this one...Got a bit of maintenance to do on the old XL shortly (waiting for parts) then should be good for a ride or two.
I work FIFO, so only here every second weekend.
I enjoy the copperlode road as well. Also have to get some more "dirt friendly" tyres, mine are more road biased at the mo, don't grip at all on dirt....
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #83
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,279
knobbies

Great report. If you're trying to decide on which knobbies, try the Michelin T-63. Matched up front and back, they are the best handling knobbie on bitumen I have had on my DR. The KLR is fairly similar in that it also has a 17inch rear wheel. They wear pretty well and are not too bad off road as long as you adjust your pressures. I run HD tubes and generally lower my pressures to about 17-18psi for the softer stuff.

Just for kicks, I recently tried a Mitchelin desert on the front. I still have it on and a T63 rear. It (Desert) has to be the most frightening tyre I have ever ridden on road with. It wants to make the bike weave and wander at lower speeds and shake it's head at higher speeds above 90kph. Having said that,the Desert is the best tyre off road I have had on the DR. It just bites in and you can steer the bike with upmost confidence that the front is not going to washout.
The T-63 front, although not as confidence inspiring as the Desert, is a good compromise where there is a quantity of bitumen involved.

Some guys have had mixed results with the Dunlop 606s. They are good tyre but will probably wear faster than the
T-63s.

Hopefully be able to get out and have a ride with ya's soon.

Cheers Kezza.

Quote:
now about those cane field runs.....

had a good time on the Clohesy/Tinaroo run today - I clocked about 175k with perhaps 100 in dirt.
The limitation of current KLR tires was VERY apparent with a couple of slides outs trying to climb one rather muddy hill.
The creeks I was concerned about turned to be no problem tho better traction would never hurt - good fun but the muddy hill was beyond rider and bike to negotiate...

First slide out not so bad hit a branch with the front tire which slid on it - I stayed sort of up, bike laid down....huffing and puffing and managed to get a going with help but then traction just disappeared further up the hill and aging rider found himself nicely pinned by 500 lb of KLR on a marginally armoured ankle.- Fortunately a combination of mud, thick socks and the Nike shin guard protected me enough Moto boots on the bring from Canada list.

More muscle getting boot out from under - no damage to rider beyond frustration but busted clutch lever made for a rather interesting ride out of the area to Mareeba for a $20 fix. I could sort of hold it in place to get going.
Annoyed at myself as I had the stock KLR hand guards and forgot to put them on the bike before I left. Been so long since I've taken a tumble .......handle bars were out of position as well so the guards might not have helped.

Did manage to stay upright after that 'cept for a good face plant at the lunch stop which brought some well deserved snarks about Canadian co-ordination. Fiddling with camera and missed a step.

An almost front wheel washout coming into Tinaroo really made the message on knobbie need hit home - down from the dam on pavement - some loose sand sitting on the smooth concrete of the small bridge made the rear slide out as well on the way back up tho that was not an issue - the front wheel near wash out tho....not good.

That sort of did it for "NEED APPROPRIATE TIRES!!" decision.
The front was getting there anyway and the roads are way too much fun to have to squirm through them on quasi- road tires.....50/50 something coming up.

While the armoured jacket and gloves did their job - lack of moto- boots and pants - even tho not an issue this time....will need to be addressed next season.....and a set of goggles - too much dust.
See what kid has at home and make do with getting decent tires this round.

KNobbies should get me through with more confidence in direction and traction especially at my tourist pace. Will be going tomorrow I hope to discuss.

Anyways much thanks to the guys who all patient and helpful and good chit chat around lunch solving world problems

Minor pics soon. Gonna go back to a couple of the areas for a more leisurely sight seeing.....when it's dry.

Had fun, got home in one piece after a couple of spills.....not a bad day.

Thanks guys.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #84
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Put a Kenda 50/50 on the front and am skittering around till the little nubbies wear.
He had it and put it on on the spot - bit of sticker shock on tires compared to home

He is suggesting a Kenda 510 on the rear but the 70/30 tire model rather than the 50/50 ( 270s are the 50/50 I think )

I have not yet ordered the rear - was going to go over to Wayne Leonard tomorrow at some point but might also go talk to the guys in Mareeba who fixed me up with the alternative clutch - give them a bit of biz if they have something and can do it while I wait.

Like to support the independents. I see Dean's business is up for sale - there is a sign inside saying "business for sale".

He had a used set of Barkbusters so got those on and got the clutch back to stock with the interlock ( sort of ;-) ) At least I don't have to short it out to start it now.

••••

If anyone is interested in a slow sight seeing run on the Clohesy Road and Tinaroo I'm game sometime soon. Photos etc and a "skills improvement session" at low speeds

•••

I am thinking of a overnite run a bit south as I have a Friday and Saturday open this week with GF away.
Thinking something around Innisvale area that is normally a bit far for a day ride. Ride down early Friday - cruise some of the parks and roads and then hit some place cheap overnight -
Wander home Saturday.

Suggestions what to see - where to go thanks?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #85
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

BTW IF you are going to fall over on a muddy hill riding a too bluuuudy heavy KLR.....good to have some muscle along

Old 02-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #86
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Thanks Galbo950, What A Great Ride!!

If Galbo950 signals a ride opportunity everyone should take it, what a great day in the woods with a track knowledgeable and likeable bloke on a ballistic XR650, those grins stayed all day even during the multistage "hill of death" at days end haha.

Macdoc held his own on that KLR despite what he says with what looked like tyres off a road bike, bloody good effort, and a champion who will be rewarded many times over with a set of dirt tyres and his inate tenacity.

My mate Stu on the other XR650 has been schooling me in technical trail work and I came away from the day improved even more with yet another set of shoulder muscles not known to have existed since my twenties.

Thanks Lads
Ken

Quote:
BTW IF you are going to fall over on a muddy hill riding a too bluuuudy heavy KLR.....good to have some muscle along

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #87
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Glad you enjoyed the ride. Sorry about the hill of death, it gets worse every time i go there. I think i may have left my lung there. We'll have to organise another ride.
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #88
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

I noticed they politely ignored my face plant on the kitchen steps at the diner.

Today it was easier to ride than walk. Damn quads are killing me....Celebrex to the rescue.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #89
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Okay - equipment coming together, barkbuster,s new front tire, now boots and knee protectors.

went down to the Kawasaki dealer -
he happened to have a pair they had used once in a commercial - $100 out the door but have to change my shifter a bit as hard to get my toe under it - might need a slightly better shifter and foot pegs which are marginal on the KLR -

Also got knee armour that will go under my pants.

Dealer said I did not need a new rear tire yet so will wait til next year.. see how I do with the front knobby at my leisurely pace.

Some cop pulled me over and wanted to chat ;) I said I was lost

Thanks for the re-direct to the Kawi dealer Glen

Nice bike.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #90
macdoc
Canuck in Cairns

Chasing down an extended shift lever for the KLR650 so I can get my shiny new boots under the damn thing.....who in the area might have some choice?

IMS and Moose make folding levers which would be nice.

Thanks

rain is putting damper on my riding the last few days tho aches and pains have contributed

Determined to get up to Myola Road at least today. See what the Barron looks like now and see how the knobby tracks in the softer stuff.