ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
museumplanner OP
museumplanner
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Mexico City, New York City, San Francisco
Oddometer: 22
Motorcycle for Mexico City?

Hi All,
Just moved to Mexico City, living the Mexican Dream !

Traffic is awful, looking for a motorcycle that I can use in the Mexico City and on weekends for day trips. Small bike able to get through traffic, in the $2,500USD price range, can ride two up, easy to repair and get parts in Mexico City. So far have been to the Honda and Yamaha dealers. Would appreciate suggestions for models and hearing other experience. My thought is the less the bike calls attention to me or itself the better off I will be?

Honda
NXR150 BROS, 46,900 Pesos, ($3,534USD) Fuel Injected, Enduro, http://www.honda.mx/motos/bros150fi/
CBF150, 36,010 Pesos, ($2,723USD),front disk brake, bikini fairing, http://www.honda.mx/motos/unicorn/
XR125 28,900 Pesos, ($2,185USD), Enduro, http://www.honda.mx/motos/xr125/
GL150, 20,900 Pesos, ($1,579USD), http://www.honda.mx/motos/cargo150/
CGL125 Tool, 14,900 Pesos, ($1,124USD), Made in Mexico?, http://www.honda.mx/motos/tool/

Yamaha
YB125, 20,900 Pesos, ($1,581USD) http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/ybr125.html

Another option is to buy a Kawasaki Ninja 250, $4199, in San Diego and ride to Mexico City

Thanks!
__________________
Museum Planner
museumplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Mex City
Oddometer: 218
They are all good choices. It depends what you want. Bringing a bike from the States could work but you will have to take it back every 6 months which can be good or bad.
I would go for the Honda Tool. It is by far the cheapest. A friend has one and he is very happy with it. There is more chance of a smaller bike being stolen as they are easy to get rid of.
If you are interested there is a bike club that gets together on a Tuesday night at a cafe called La Selva which is to the side of the church on the corner of Torres Adalid and Gabriel Mancera. http://www.motolatino.com/showthread...tes-a-La-Selva They are a nice bunch of people and will make you feel very welcome. A lot of them have a big bike and a small bike for city use.
__________________
http://sites.google.com/site/garryhostel/ Mexico City's Free Motorcycle Resort
garrydymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,125
The Ninja 250 can easily be bought in Mexico from Kawi dealers.
Two up on a 150cc is going to be not only uncomfortable, but you will be very, very slow with no passing power whatsoever.
The 250cc Ninja, two up, will be uncomfortable after an hour unless you are both midgets or very thin and very short.
The small capacity bikes are for pizza delivery or dispatch, yes, you can use one but you will be taking forever to get from point A to point B and if you like to ride very slow and get pushed around on highways, by all means get one.
They are ok for short hops in the city, but you are going to find them asthmatic and very slow for any type of travel to other states in the Republic.
Your top speed is going to be about 80 kmh in upper elevations and not much more in the lower elevations.
Sure, people have done Mexico on small bikes, but it is the exception and not the rule.
Spend $3,000 in the US on a good solid used bike like a KLR 650 and then do the Temp deal. If you are planning on living here permanently, just wait a year and save your money and then buy something bigger here and tour around with more comfort and more manueverability when you need it most, and that will come from having some torque to move you.
Two up on a small bike will bring attention to you anyways. If you opt for the small bike route, your range will be less than 600 kms in a day of travel and probably less than that. That means your sightseeing will be needing at least an extra day unless you plan on staying only in the center of the Republic.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
museumplanner OP
museumplanner
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Mexico City, New York City, San Francisco
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrydymond View Post
They are all good choices. It depends what you want. Bringing a bike from the States could work but you will have to take it back every 6 months which can be good or bad.
I would go for the Honda Tool. It is by far the cheapest. A friend has one and he is very happy with it. There is more chance of a smaller bike being stolen as they are easy to get rid of.
If you are interested there is a bike club that gets together on a Tuesday night at a cafe called La Selva which is to the side of the church on the corner of Torres Adalid and Gabriel Mancera. http://www.motolatino.com/showthread...tes-a-La-Selva They are a nice bunch of people and will make you feel very welcome. A lot of them have a big bike and a small bike for city use.
Hi Garrydymond! Thank you for the advice and invite. I am in the States for a week, thinking about buying a bike while I am here, not sure about having to leave every six months. Will come by and check out Tuesday nights!

Thanks!
__________________
Museum Planner
museumplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
museumplanner OP
museumplanner
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Mexico City, New York City, San Francisco
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The Ninja 250 can easily be bought in Mexico from Kawi dealers.
Two up on a 150cc is going to be not only uncomfortable, but you will be very, very slow with no passing power whatsoever.
The 250cc Ninja, two up, will be uncomfortable after an hour unless you are both midgets or very thin and very short.
The small capacity bikes are for pizza delivery or dispatch, yes, you can use one but you will be taking forever to get from point A to point B and if you like to ride very slow and get pushed around on highways, by all means get one.
They are ok for short hops in the city, but you are going to find them asthmatic and very slow for any type of travel to other states in the Republic.
Your top speed is going to be about 80 kmh in upper elevations and not much more in the lower elevations.
Sure, people have done Mexico on small bikes, but it is the exception and not the rule.
Spend $3,000 in the US on a good solid used bike like a KLR 650 and then do the Temp deal. If you are planning on living here permanently, just wait a year and save your money and then buy something bigger here and tour around with more comfort and more manueverability when you need it most, and that will come from having some torque to move you.
Two up on a small bike will bring attention to you anyways. If you opt for the small bike route, your range will be less than 600 kms in a day of travel and probably less than that. That means your sightseeing will be needing at least an extra day unless you plan on staying only in the center of the Republic.
Hi MikeMike,
Thanks, loved the image of me and my girlfriend neither of us small, riding two up on a 125, not pretty!

Looked online and seems a Ninja 250 goes for $6299USD in Mexico , too expensive. I have a short inseam, will have to go sit on a KLR, but usually I can only get a toe down.

If I go the small bike for the city and a larger bike for weekends, what would be your suggestion ? Thanks!
__________________
Museum Planner
museumplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Mex City
Oddometer: 218
Now we're talking. Buy a bike in the States that is not too expensive. Kawasaki KLR or Suzuki DR650. I think it is fairly simple to lower the DR. Then buy a Honda 125 tool here. There are 2 problems. 1 there are very few parts for either the Kawasaki or the Suzuki. You will go over your budget.
__________________
http://sites.google.com/site/garryhostel/ Mexico City's Free Motorcycle Resort
garrydymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,125
The problem is that those little Honda delivery bikes make about 7bhp at the elevation of Mexico DF no matter how well they are jetted. There just isn't much there for when you need it. The delivery guys all weigh about 110lbs soaking wet and ride the heck out of those bikes. If you have ever been present at a sale of used delivery bikes, you might make one good bike out of 10 purchased.
If you go the route of a small bike, try something Chinese or Korean in the 200cc range, shop around because there are some deals. On the news stands now, here in Mexico is the latest edition of the annual Motociclismo buyers guide for bikes available in Mexico and around the world. It is a pretty poor magazine as it doesn't contain anywhere near the worldwide availability, but it does give you a good look at what is available in Mexico.
If you go to a bike meeting, there might be some bigger bikes available. Big bikes are tough to sell used, so you can score some very good deals, taking into account the usual Mexican market markup for bikes in general.
The KLR is fairly tall, you probably won't like it for that reason but it is a very solid bike. If you are interested in low seat heights you might find a solid used 500 or 650cc cruiser type bike like a Yamaha or a Kawasaki. Honda has the 400cc streetbike that is quiet cheap, around $60,000 pesos new, and it would be big enough for you, but only just big enough.
If you are riding any bike in the DF area, you can subtract about 25% from the published horsepower figures as a good rule of thumb. Even if it is injected.
Take a look through the magazine I mentioned and then shop around. You will be miles ahead if you can bring a US bike and then import it at some time.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
tejano
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 23
how'bout n xt600

I live in mx city have a 2003 xt 600 supermoto for sale for 2750 or 38000 mx price with only 5000 miles will send pics .
tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,125
Was the XT600 sold in Mexico or was it imported? Are all the tenencias paid and up to date? What wheel conversion did you do for the supermoto modifications? Was it raced?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico
 
Airhead Wrangler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Back in Seattle, FINALLY
Oddometer: 6,388
If you're still looking at the little 125s, I'd get a Suzuki GN125. Not sure why, but I just prefer suzukis to hondas for smaller bikes.
__________________
R80ST Gets The HPN Treatment
Seattle to TDF on an airhead

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
museumplanner OP
museumplanner
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Mexico City, New York City, San Francisco
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrydymond View Post
Now we're talking. Buy a bike in the States that is not too expensive. Kawasaki KLR or Suzuki DR650. I think it is fairly simple to lower the DR. Then buy a Honda 125 tool here. There are 2 problems. 1 there are very few parts for either the Kawasaki or the Suzuki. You will go over your budget.
Thanks Garrydymond,
Checked out the DR650, might be a good choice, $5,999 in USA, simple and straight forward, but as you said parts will be tough in DF.

What are your thoughts, is the Honda CGL125 the small bike to get in DF? Is it made Mexico? Thanks!
__________________
Museum Planner
museumplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,125
That DR can be lowered, slightly.
You will find it uncomfortable for 2 up travel on the highway. KLR 650's are being sold again in Mexico, you can get tires and tubes and certain parts quite easily in the aftermarket if you know where to look. It took us 4 hours to find what we needed to repair a friends bike that was crashed last week in Veracruz. There is huge aftermarket support for the KLR's and certain parts can be made to fit, even if they are not exact. Countless KLR pilots have used the bikes throughout Mexico with great success and few issues if they plan ahead and keep a few neccesary items on hand (very cheap on E-bay by the way).
The DR has no wind protection on the highways and is markedly more vibey than the Kawi for traveling on tarmac, and it is only marginally better in the dirt in the hands of a typical rider.
The Suzuki GN125 is sold and supported in Mexico, the reason it is better than the Hondas is build quality and it has a couple more horsepower and is more robust chassis wise.
Have you thought of a Honda step through type bike for the city, like the old Cub? It is a pressed steel bike more like a scooter with motorcycle wheels type thing.
The little Chinese bikes in the 200cc or even 150cc range will outperform any Honda 125 Cargo type bike, they will also be cheaper and easier to replace worn out items.

Think realistically about parts you might need. Tires and tubes are easy to source, even the odd sizes. Many cables can be adapted and made to fit if necessary.
Mirrors are easy to find, same for handlebars. Are you going to need a clutch, not likely, and if you do it won't be for some time, same goes for brakes. Grips are easy to find, electrics can be sorted by any decent mechanic or even yourself with a good manual. Bearings are very easy to find. Plastics and such are not going to be easily found, but you might get some used items. You'll find it all on e-bay at a decent price and the expensive part will be customs and shipping. The DR is probably the easiest larger bike to maintain on the road today, except for maybe the Moto Guzzi V7 which is also real simple and a Harley Sportster, too.

Try to think of at least 10bhp as a minimum for your city needs when opting for a small bike. You'll likely need it some day.

MikeMike screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 09:57 AM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
museumplanner OP
museumplanner
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Mexico City, New York City, San Francisco
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
That DR can be lowered, slightly.
You will find it uncomfortable for 2 up travel on the highway. KLR 650's are being sold again in Mexico, you can get tires and tubes and certain parts quite easily in the aftermarket if you know where to look. It took us 4 hours to find what we needed to repair a friends bike that was crashed last week in Veracruz. There is huge aftermarket support for the KLR's and certain parts can be made to fit, even if they are not exact. Countless KLR pilots have used the bikes throughout Mexico with great success and few issues if they plan ahead and keep a few neccesary items on hand (very cheap on E-bay by the way).
The DR has no wind protection on the highways and is markedly more vibey than the Kawi for traveling on tarmac, and it is only marginally better in the dirt in the hands of a typical rider.
The Suzuki GN125 is sold and supported in Mexico, the reason it is better than the Hondas is build quality and it has a couple more horsepower and is more robust chassis wise.
Have you thought of a Honda step through type bike for the city, like the old Cub? It is a pressed steel bike more like a scooter with motorcycle wheels type thing.
The little Chinese bikes in the 200cc or even 150cc range will outperform any Honda 125 Cargo type bike, they will also be cheaper and easier to replace worn out items.

Think realistically about parts you might need. Tires and tubes are easy to source, even the odd sizes. Many cables can be adapted and made to fit if necessary.
Mirrors are easy to find, same for handlebars. Are you going to need a clutch, not likely, and if you do it won't be for some time, same goes for brakes. Grips are easy to find, electrics can be sorted by any decent mechanic or even yourself with a good manual. Bearings are very easy to find. Plastics and such are not going to be easily found, but you might get some used items. You'll find it all on e-bay at a decent price and the expensive part will be customs and shipping. The DR is probably the easiest larger bike to maintain on the road today, except for maybe the Moto Guzzi V7 which is also real simple and a Harley Sportster, too.

Try to think of at least 10bhp as a minimum for your city needs when opting for a small bike. You'll likely need it some day.
MikeMIke,
Thanks! This is starting to sound like a plan! Buy a stepthrough like:
Honda Wave
Yamaha

Use as a bike for running around the DF, then get a KLR650 for the weekends. While I am In NYC, will go and sit on a KLR and see about seat height. Is the Honda Wave the bike to get? When I was traveling in Indonesia the Yamaha Crypton was the "hot" bike, found some very cool tuning of these bike, will post photos
__________________
Museum Planner
museumplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
museumplanner OP
museumplanner
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Mexico City, New York City, San Francisco
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano View Post
I live in mx city have a 2003 xt 600 supermoto for sale for 2750 or 38000 mx price with only 5000 miles will send pics .
Hi Tejano,
Just checked out the XT600, looks interesting, send me photos when you have time.
__________________
Museum Planner
museumplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Cal
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 760
When in Mexico I saw lots of Italikas are they not made in Mexico?
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014