Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #31
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
for $50k pesos you can get a F650 or a Dakar easy to work on and fun to ride in the city but if you want a cheaper new bike take a look @ the Yamaha FZ16 for just $34k pesos or the Fazer 16 for $38k

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #32
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,264
What Damaso said - XR250 Tornado or even a NX400 Falcon (especially for two-up). They always come up on MercadoLibre if you don't want to spend the extra money they cost new over the budget you initially stated.

http://www.honda.mx/motos/tornado/

http://www.honda.mx/motos/falcon/

Given the state of the roads in and around the city, the extra long and softer suspension is always going to be a plus, not to mention it opens up a lot of interesting exploring possibilities on weekends.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #33
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,037
You are not going to get much of a Dakar in Mexico for $50,000 pesos. They are getting much harder to find here in good condition.
Honda, like BMW, have overpriced parts here in Mexico. I followed a guy, by chance, who was two up on a 400 Honda the other day for about 20kms. That was on a secondary road, that bike would be stressing at 120kmh on the cuotas two up and small luggage load.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
asordo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I live in D.F and my daily commute is on a 800cc, I guess it all depends if you have to be moving around the city or if you will be at the office all day long and only riding in the morning and the afternoon. In my case I get to the office early in the morning, so no trafic, and leave at around 7pm, where I find heavier traffic but nothing too bad for the size of the bike. Also take into account that one of the nice things of Mexico city is that in a radious of say 200km there are a lot of great places to visit.

In terms of security so far I have been ok, my feeling is that smaller bikes get robbed more often because its easier to make them disapear. Instead of buying two I would recommend something more intermediate to commute and make weekend rides.

Good luck!
asordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
museumplanner OP
museumplanner

Oddometer: 22
Thank you !

Thank you all for the help!

Today I put down a deposit on a 2012 Yamaha FZ16. Yamaha is having a promotion on 2012s FZ16s 33,600 pesos ($2,642USD) plus insurance and registration. It came down to parts and service. After talking to lots of people, getting replacement parts for bikes other than the Yamaha or Honda can be tough. I like the front disk brake, mono suspension and service department of Yamaha DF. Went over to Yamaha DF Service 153 Lago Peypus, many Federales waiting to have their motorcycles serviced, the shop seemed clean and well stocked with parts. Will get the bike the end of the month.

museumplanner screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 05:42 PM
museumplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #36
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Have fun, get a stout lock and chain and use them, and ask at Yamaha about the track days they have.
I believe they had one recently for owners of that specific model, the write up or mention was in one of the Mexican bike mags. Is that black one yours?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #37
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,283
Now that you have the bike factor figured out, what are you doing in DF as a museum planner.....that sound interesting
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #38
museumplanner OP
museumplanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Now that you have the bike factor figured out, what are you doing in DF as a museum planner.....that sound interesting
Supposedly Mexico City has more museums than any city in the world! I have only gotten work at one of them, but will keep trying! Still have work in the USA.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #39
museumplanner OP
museumplanner

Thanks MikeMike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Have fun, get a stout lock and chain and use them, and ask at Yamaha about the track days they have.
I believe they had one recently for owners of that specific model, the write up or mention was in one of the Mexican bike mags. Is that black one yours?
Thanks for your help MikeMike!
The black FZ16 are already sold out, my bike is to be in by the end of the month. A track day sounds great! Will look for the info!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #40
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Congratulations. It is always great to get anything new but a bike is greatest of all. If you think I can help in any way just tell me. Those little Yamahas are great bikes and look awesome.
Safe travels
Old 03-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
museumplanner OP
museumplanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrydymond View Post
Congratulations. It is always great to get anything new but a bike is greatest of all. If you think I can help in any way just tell me. Those little Yamahas are great bikes and look awesome.
Safe travels
Hi Gary,
Thanks for your help! Hope to meet you sometime.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #42
museumplanner OP
museumplanner

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the help with a motorcycle for DF.

This weekend, went out for a ride on the FZ16, perfect bike for me, lightweight, small and fast enough. A bit of an adjustment coming from a BMW K bike, but really enjoy the FZ16, we rode two up to Plaza de Santo Domingo, was so happy to be on a small motorcycle, bike was great in traffic!

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #43
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by museumplanner View Post
was so happy to be on a small motorcycle!
Wait until Tlaloc wakes up. LOL! Great to hear you got what you wanted and are enjoying it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #44
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the help with a motorcycle for DF.

This weekend, went out for a ride on the FZ16, perfect bike for me, lightweight, small and fast enough. A bit of an adjustment coming from a BMW K bike, but really enjoy the FZ16, we rode two up to Plaza de Santo Domingo, was so happy to be on a small motorcycle, bike was great in traffic!

Thanks!
Excellent!

How are your filtering skilz?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #45
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Supposedly Mexico City has more museums than any city in the world! I have only gotten work at one of them, but will keep trying! Still have work in the USA.
@ what museum you are working? I ask because, I know some of the public/privets museums managers. My wife is currently the Minister of Museums & Galleries here in Aguascalientes. Actually I have a dinner with Teresa Vicencio & Consuelo Sáizar tonight
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote