User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 270
350 2 stroke trials project.

I own a IZH planeta sport 350. and i have what is almost another bike and 3/4 for spares. i quite recently got an eastern european bike which i took the engine out of to build a 400cc reed valved motor for my old planeta, and i had one complete spare engine in pieces and a nice but unregistered frame and most cycle parts just taking up room.
I thought about just puting these parts back for sale, but i have decided building a twin shock trials project sounded a better option.

Building it from the unregistered frame and engine parts and trying to keep costs to a minimum.
I am not sure what i will do with this bike because it is too new at 1881 for pre 65 twin shock, but i supose i could just run it anyway as its probably not going to be that competative any way.

The road going bikes weigh about 300lbs so its not a lightweight but i can probably shed a few lbs off that if i could get it down 250lbs i would be happy but thats quite a lot to expect but i can but try.

IZH planeta sports, are 350cc russian 2 stroke singles.
The planeta sport unlike the other models of planeta is a bike produced with some input from Yamaha in the 1970s, they are officialy 32hp and had a mikuni carb as standard originaly, but this spare bike has the latter russian carb on it unfortunatley.

Here is the bare bones of the project this frame and engine the tank seat and most of the other parts are striped off the frame now. i have a earlier planeta 4 tank but i think its a little bulbous for this project but we will see.

Thinking of putting together something along the lines of a 1960s style ISDT bike like these.

MATTY screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 04:57 AM
MATTY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Assembled the engine tonight for the project bike, its a mongrel of parts three engines, just got to fit the piston barrel and head and its done, ordered the gaskets tomorrow should get them in a week may be.
I am trying to keep costs to a bare minimum on this build, it will stand me at probably 70 with the gaskets and what i have in everything right now.
I have started stripping the paint off the bare frame, i am going to spray the frame celulose Black not the most robust of paint finishes but i have some that has been sat on a shelf for years, i just spun it up the other day and once i pulled the skin off the top it was fine. Not even going to use finnishing thinners just gun wash .
If i can get the frame painted and engine back in for 100 i will be happy.
Tank i am still not sure what to get, the Planeta 4 tank is a monster verry heavy it must be 3mm thick steel .
Mudguards again i will have to try and find something period looking in steel. i could just put some universal alloy mudguards on it but, i want to try ad get something near to the ISDT bikes from IZH back in the day.
Its at times like this i wish i had a wheeling machine or as you Americans call them an English wheel.
Learned to use those at british rail where i served my time.
Post some more pictures when i start painting the frame.
Target price is 200 or as close as i can get to it.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

With ring gap like this it needed new rings, the bore is perfect and piston the same.
Just waiting on the gasskets getting here from Russia then engine is ready for use.
3.14MM

thats better.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Decided i am going to go with this tank, it is in a lot better condition than i remembered when i dug it out and i am sure it has shrunk with age.
I think its off a planeta 4 or a old voskod 175, it fits in with what i want to create quite well.
I did look at a small suzuki tank on ebay, but decided to go with the ruber knee grips etc, i have the tank badges and in the panel i will paint the word trial or may be ISDT in russian taxt. Not decided on a colour scheme yet.
Some of the late 60s early 70 russian ISDT bikes had silver frames, i saw a 65 ISDT 350 with a red frame online. Tank has no dints and just a very few little chips i could near enough get away without painting it at all if i wanted.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
altf4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
...what a great project!
looking forward to seeing how you're going to build your russian special o)

g max ~:)
altf4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Wink

Gaskets got here Saturday morning post from Russia, had an hour After lunch today, finnished building the engine.
All good now have a carb float bowl gasket split on the K type russian carb the second type 350 sport had fitted. These carbs are basic but cheap and quite nasty and i wont invest any hard cash in it, i will try and make a gasket , or replace the carb with a Mikuni as on the first few sports made which is what i will do eventualy anyway.
So thats the engine done it struck up about the 10th kick and ran ok with its massive petrol leak which stopped any more fun for today.
Engine wiped back out the frame and its time for the real work to start.
I am still a little undecided on a exact style for this project but i know i am running the stock cycle parts the front 19 inch wheel and rear 18 inch so here i will start get them cleaned up and spokes replaced etc, this is where your money starts to go in any bike build and i can see my super restrictive buget dissapearing fast here.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Cleaned the front wheel just now, it is in very nice condition rust looked ugly but came up suprisingly good even the spokes are clean and free. Bearings are fine and so are the brake shoes etc. I only hope the rear wheel is as good it looks better but that could be a bad thing.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
I like it- never heard of one before. Keep the updates coming!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
I like it- never heard of one before. Keep the updates coming!
This will explain the history of these things far better than i can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjm8l652ndM

All i know i have had my original one now 16 years in November it does 30 miles most work days and has been a fantastic very allternative bike. Not many made it west some would say they are glad about that .
Old 08-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
Ahh, now I understand.

The CGI was remarkable. Almost as good as the d00d riding 2-up with a helmet strapped to his elbow. No wonder their Rs are backward.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
Ahh, now I understand.

The CGI was remarkable. Almost as good as the d00d riding 2-up with a helmet strapped to his elbow. No wonder their Rs are backward.
Thought you would like that.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:05 AM   #12
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Had a good look at the rear wheel yesterday, it came out of the molasses like new no rust just washed off the oxide with the pressure washer.
Re fitted the bearings the Spokes were all free and apart from a slight tweak on a raspy one the wheel was all good, in tune for the London philomonic .
The back brake linings are again like new, i think this old bike must have had a little money thrown it it shortly before its death.

Pulled the chain out the tank, and washed it off, it has no seezed links now is not new but good enough for a few miles i guess.
I have not got a spare 18 inch trials tyre laid about anywhere, but i will be changing a michelin off the back of the sherco for an IRC i recently bought at some point, so untill then i will fit a well warn motocross tyre i had hung on a nail the past Lord knows how many years its not perished and will do for the build initialy anyway.
This frame/ bike is not road registered and i am not that bothered about having it plated either, i want to keep the headlight spedo unit and other shiney bits in storage for my road bike should i ever need them.

Next front forks. And i will charge the camera too.