Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
CousinLarry OP
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 609
KTM Powervalve problem after replacing clutch cover.. .

I'm hoping someone might have ideas! I'm pretty new to two strokes!!

I have a 2000 200 EXC. It ran perfect.. Absolutely perfect throttle response, power valve opened just right, started right up, etc.

I cracked the clutch cover so I got a new one to replace it. When I removed it, I removed the powervalve assembly and everything else needed to swap that case side..
I thought I got everything back together correctly, but now I have this small dead zone that's pissing me off! Right in between the valve being closed, and it being open, it gets weak, and it starts to get a tinny resonating sound, then the powervalve opens and the bike hits and takes off like normal. When it's in the "dead zone" it almost sounds like an exhaust leak?! But I just put a new coupler in between the pipe and silencer.. Could it be at the head? Or is that just a coincidence?!

I spent a couple hours in the woods playing with the powervalve. I got it to open earlier and later, but no matter where it opens, it still has that dead zone where it feels like the bike barely has any power. And the higher up in the gears you go, that dead zone gets bigger.

I didn't touch jetting, or anything other than just replacing that side case. Bike ran absolutely 100% perfect before hand with zero dead zone. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to get it back to where it was?? Any suggestions or help is appreciated!!! Thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
CousinLarry OP
Ridin Dirty

150 views and no one has any ideas?! Is it all thumper riders here? haha

Oh well. Back to wrenching.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Did ya lube the valve? Sounds like it's sticking a bit. Not being familiar with Katooms but Yamaha requires a moly lube in several points.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
And a little research comes up with this.

"125/200 Power valve adjust:
This system is a screw adjustment, no springs like the 250-300.
On the right side of the motor on the clutch case area there is a large aluminum nut. Under this is the adjuster. Remove the large nut, loosen the 8mm head lock nut at the 4 oclock position. There is a large flat sided adjuster under the large alum nut, it should turn by hand. This is what you turn to adjust the power valve opening. It turns about 3 full turns. Do not turn the adjuster to hard once it bottoms out as the balls inside can become stuck if you bottom it hard. Dont loose the large copper sealing washer or the piece of rubber in the lock bolt hole at 4 oclock.

Many will just set it to the "Langston" setting and go. Find that on Transworld MX web site as well as another description of how to do this. Also found there is a part that wears in the system, called the control lever, and will make the bike run real bad like ignition or carb trouble. I chased this for one year before I found it was this part going bad.

The way I do the adjustment is by feel of the "hit". First warm the bike up completely by riding it for 5-10 min. Then remove the parts described above. Turn the adjuster one turn in any direction and then leave the nut cover off and ride the bike. You should be able to feel the difference from where it was set before you changed it if you just rode it for a few minutes like I suggested. As long as there is no water, mud, excessive dust it wont hurt anything to ride it for a minute with the cover off.

Now stop the bike and turn the adjuster one full turn back the other way from where it was originally. Now ride it again and you will have just ridden it with three different settings. This will give you a late opening, an early opening and somewhere in the middle.

Now that you have felt what the adjuster can do go back to whatever opening you liked the best and now adjust it in half turns to fine tune it to where you like it. Some like to just set it to the "Langston" setting and ride. Thats Ok, but I like it a little lower/earlier.

Now to clarify what you are trying to "feel". The hit is just as the bike comes on the pipe, spins the wheel, wheelies or some wording that you will understand. You dont have to ride the bike far to test this, only 100' or so in one gear and feel the hit. Maybe shift gears from 2-3 or 3-4 to feel the hit, not X country riding. Once you have it where you think it should be then put it all back together and then go for a ride to see if it is what you want."
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
CousinLarry OP
Ridin Dirty

Got it! Found a link explaining proper adjustment (http://ktmdirtquestions.com/how-to-a...0-power-valve/)

I was way off. haha...

Last night I cleaned everything up, and adjust the marks to where they should be. This morning I fired it up and took a rip up the road - it's back! Back to normal - ripping like a raped ape with zero hesitation.

Thanks again for the help, guys! Going for a forest ride tomorrow!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
CousinLarry OP
Ridin Dirty

55 degrees out, some soft patchy snow. It was fun to fish-tail down the logging roads. We did some single track too and it was fantastic. Nice soft ground. Some snow patches but all soft and predictable.

I want to lower the hit just a tad. It was a bit higher than I liked it, but other than that, the bike ran fantastic. Every time I ride it I love it even more. I don't think I'll ever want to ride anything but the KTM 200!

I didn't want the ride to end, but the sun was starting to go down. :(

Good times. Thanks again for the help, guys.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
PistonPants
Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer: 409
Good you got that sorted out. Interesting link....125/144/200 powervalve mechanism is a completely different animal than the 250/300/380 which I am just learning......Those Austrians.

Piston
PistonPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,989
And I was just, like, BBBRRAAAAAPPP!!!!

fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote