Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #46
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Were you ever able to sort out the error lamp with the HDB Blinkers? I'm ordering a set and hoping you'll be able to clue me in on the fix :) If not I'll let you know what I find.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
Ronin ADV OP
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Were you ever able to sort out the error lamp with the HDB Blinkers? I'm ordering a set and hoping you'll be able to clue me in on the fix :) If not I'll let you know what I find.
Hate to say it but after several fails with aftermarket resistors I just got sick of it and went back to some smaller incandescent lamps. If you find something that works, let me know. Its too bad because I've got the HDB blinkers front and back on my Yamaha and they work great, but the BMW is another story. Every combo I tried was a no go and I just couldnt get rid of the error message. Good luck.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #48
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Did you wire the resistors in series or parallel?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #49
Ronin ADV OP
Gear addict

My electronics expertise is lacking to say the least. So I wired them according to the instructions.
I started with the Wunderlich "flash killers" (I think thats what they are called). They have and unsual setup where one resistor is wired between two lights and the positive wire and then has a single ground (If I remember this correctly, I am not in home now so I'll correct this later). That failed in any combination front and back. So then I went with Custom LED (?). These resistors were wired in between the light and the positive wire, one to each light. Again, no love. The LED blinkers would work and the rate was acceptable but I continued to receive the error code. Both Wunderlich and Custom LED claimed that the resistors would fake the bike into thinking there were incandescent bulbs still attached. But apparently the GS is a bit smarter and continued to register the error code. The lights work, it just turns on the error code the first time you activate the blinker after starting the bike. The yellow triangle then stays on until the bike is turned off again.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #50
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Well, luckily I have an entire company's worth of electrical engineers to ask about this so hopefully I'll find a solution :)
Thanks for all the tips from your experience!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #51
aidriu
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I just happened to ask in my dealership about getting the LED turning signals on my bike today. When the service manager was explaining why it takes a technician 40 minutes to add the front and back signals he mentioned reprogramming the bikes computer. So it might be possible to get around this step using resistors but if your bike is in the shop you could always ask! If someone finds an alternative I'll be interested in hearing it. I'd prefer to have the LED blinkers on my bike but I'm not going to pay the same amount for labour as the blinkers cost me.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #52
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #53
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

I solved this - will post solution with pics soon!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #54
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

What you need to do is add a resistor in PARALLEL with the LED blinker. I added the resistor at the spot where I soldered the new blinker to the wires,

What this does is fool the computer into thinking there is an incandescent bulb installed. Unfortunately you do this by turning the power into heat but at least you don't throw a code.

Notes on the resistor -IMPORTANT-
-I used a 20 ohm resistor, but anything 18-24 or so should work. But don't hold me to those numbers!
-the resistor MUST BE RATED FOR OVER 10W power dissipation. You will be burning the power intended for the old blinker as heat, so proper thermal management is key. I used a 100W ceramic resistor attached to a small piece of aluminum.

Resistors with aluminum backing attached. Green loc-tite on the fastener and thermal paste between the thermal mass and the resistor.

Soldered in parallel before heat-shrinking

epicxcrider screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 10:49 AM
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #55
Ronin ADV OP
Gear addict

Nice work epicxcrider.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #56
Ronin ADV OP
Gear addict

So a couple of recent additions.
I keep telling Dave at MOD I will post pics of my toolbox mounted so here they are. I mounted the MOD box inside my left SW Motech pannier rack. The SW racks certainly have their problems but one nice thing is the space allows for placement of something like the tool box. With the lock and quick detach I can also pull the whole set-up off quickly. As for the MOD box, it is top notch.

I also got tired off burning through my TKCs when I was doing more paved riding, so I had Woody make me this.

Its a 19" Excel rim, superlaced on a Rad Billet hub with Galfer rotors. I put Avon Distancias on this wheel and my 17" rear and now I have a decent road touring setup.

And for the dirt I added this.

18" Excel rim, superlaced to a Rad Billet hub with a Galfer rotor, a KTM 990 sprocket carrier and a 45 Supersprox rear sprocket. I pair this with my 21" front.

I had been running 15/42 gearing on the 17" rear so by switching to the 45 on the 18" the gearing should stay similar. If I plan any extended road trip, I may slap the 16 front tooth back on with the 42 tooth rear.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #57
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
So a couple of recent additions.
I keep telling Dave at MOD I will post pics of my toolbox mounted so here they are. I mounted the MOD box inside my left SW Motech pannier rack. The SW racks certainly have their problems but one nice thing is the space allows for placement of something like the tool box. With the lock and quick detach I can also pull the whole set-up off quickly. As for the MOD box, it is top notch.

I also got tired off burning through my TKCs when I was doing more paved riding, so I had Woody make me this.

Its a 19" Excel rim, superlaced on a Rad Billet hub with Galfer rotors. I put Avon Distancias on this wheel and my 17" rear and now I have a decent road touring setup.

Hey WW Ronin,

Thanks for posting that!

I missed it when you posted it way back when and i just bumped into it because I just "removed" my beak (I was thinking of doing it anyhow...honest).
So I was checkin out your high fender mod and all.

Glad you like the Tool Box and it worked for you.

Hope your ridin season is going well!

Dave
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #58
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Lookin good Ronin! I've been melting those TKC's on the street. I have another set of stock wheels but I just couldn't bring myself to mount them up in case I passed some dirt and bent them all up too. I loved seeing those Galfer rotors on your bike... Howz it feel??? I can ride the sh*t outta this thing on the street so I can't imagine what that new front wheel is doing for ya.

Does that Supersprox bolt on to the stock carrier? Just curious why the 990 carrier was necessary with the Rad hubs......
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #59
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,448
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #60
Ronin ADV OP
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Lookin good Ronin! I've been melting those TKC's on the street. I have another set of stock wheels but I just couldn't bring myself to mount them up in case I passed some dirt and bent them all up too. I loved seeing those Galfer rotors on your bike... Howz it feel??? I can ride the sh*t outta this thing on the street so I can't imagine what that new front wheel is doing for ya.

Does that Supersprox bolt on to the stock carrier? Just curious why the 990 carrier was necessary with the Rad hubs......
You gotta ask Woody some of those questions about the carrier / hub combo. I talked with him and told him basically what I wanted and he suggested the specifics. Of coarse they work great. The street set with the smaller front does indeed make the bike feel snappier. I'm also a big fan now of the Distancias. I really like the TKCs on this bike in the dirt, but i just burn through the damn things on pavement. I'm hoping the Distancias will last longer than the TKCs. They corner great and after watching Idle run them on his Husky they handle the dirt fairly well too.
I have been riding my WR lots lately (just got back from Utah), so I haven't really thrashed on the dirt set of wheels. All in all, if you got the cash burning a hole in your pocket, the second set of wheels is like having a different bike.
Too wheels : The toolbox is awesome! Keep making cool stuff.