Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
e.Rock OP
No Guts, No Story

Oddometer: 214
Question Trail Tech X2 halogen upgrades?

Hoping the collective has some insight...

I bought a DRZ this summer where the PO had installed the Trail Tech X2 halogen headlight. It looks cool, but it didn't take long to realize its light output is awful at best. The PO also changed the wiring so that the high beam is on with the low beam switch, and both low and high come on when the high beam is switched. With that mod the low beam is tolerable, but high beam isn't really any brighter, and I can easily outrun my headlight.

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/ha...dlight-halogen

Has anyone modified their X2 for better light output?

Since my high/low are switched, I was thinking about trying to find an upgraded MR16 bulb for the upper (2 inch) light. Maybe an LED? I've found a couple of sites with 75w equivalents, but I'm not sure if they'd be a direct fit.

e.Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Pull the bulbs. They look like an mr16 and mr11s. Direct replacement LEDs won't be any brighter but you can get various brighter halogens.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.Rock View Post
Hoping the collective has some insight...

I bought a DRZ this summer where the PO had installed the Trail Tech X2 halogen headlight. It looks cool, but it didn't take long to realize its light output is awful at best. The PO also changed the wiring so that the high beam is on with the low beam switch, and both low and high come on when the high beam is switched. With that mod the low beam is tolerable, but high beam isn't really any brighter, and I can easily outrun my headlight.

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/ha...dlight-halogen

Has anyone modified their X2 for better light output?

Since my high/low are switched, I was thinking about trying to find an upgraded MR16 bulb for the upper (2 inch) light. Maybe an LED? I've found a couple of sites with 75w equivalents, but I'm not sure if they'd be a direct fit.

The X2, as designed by TrailTech, uses the top (small) light as a low beam and the low (large) light as the high beam. The high beam will have both lights lit. If yours works like this then it is working as designed.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,036
I tried higher wattage H1 bulbs in the X2 and wasn't impressed. To get the light I needed it took a 100W bulb which caused charging issues when the RPMs stayed low like creeping along a goat trail in the dark. I won't be buying another X2.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
One thing to be aware of is that wattage isn't everything.

The high output bulbs sacrifice longevity for brightness, effectively they're [for example] 11v. Stick a 50W rated 6V bulb in and it'll be incredibly bright, but not for long.

You'll need to scan data sheets and test results (look for lumen output) to find what really gives a bright light.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Why not just drop in trail tech's X2 HID system? I used it on the SV650 I had and it was plenty bright. The only thing I didn't like about them is being HID's, they take a little bit of time to warm up.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
e.Rock OP
No Guts, No Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
The X2, as designed by TrailTech, uses the top (small) light as a low beam and the low (large) light as the high beam. The high beam will have both lights lit. If yours works like this then it is working as designed.
Like I said, the PO switched them so the high beam (large one) is on for the low, and both are on for high.

I have yet to pull it apart and check the voltage drop, but that'll be good to rule out. I have my doubts though.

freetors, I did consider the HID kit, but would leave that for last due to the cost. My question is if anyone has found a way to improve the lighting output, which seems that it would be easy because they seem to be common bulb sizes.

Good feedback on the 100W bulb, RideFreak. I was looking the other day at a 75W equivalent LED. I wonder if that would be decent? Should be much less draw and heat than a 100W halogen.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
e.Rock OP
No Guts, No Story

I pulled everything apart and made sure there was nothing wrong with the wiring. Almost no voltage drop.

I then emailed TrailTech and expressed my interest in improving the light output of my X2. They were very quick to respond and suggested upgrading the larger bulb to a 55W (it's only 35W out of the box). He assured me there would be no issues with wiring or heat. Unfortunately, they don't offer an upgrade to the smaller bulb, which turns out is only 35W as well. He also said there wasn't much point in upgrading to the HID internals. I'd be better off to just sell my halogen model and replace the whole shebang with the HID version if I wanted to go that route.

I pulled out the smaller bulb and it appears to be a standard light fixture MR16 bulb with a custom pigtail. I found a 50W narrow beam spotlight bulb on Amazon and ordered it. The connection to the bulb is buried under a glob of silicone-looking stuff, but I assume the wires are just soldered to the MR16 pins. I'll try to source the plug at the other end that interfaces with the rest of the harness so I can make my own pigtail, but worst case I'll deconstruct the existing one and attach it to my new bulb when it arrives.

I also ordered a 55W Hella H3 bulb, which arrived today.

I honestly don't have much hope for the MR16 bulb making much of a difference, so I may try another version with an LED bulb. If I can't get much light out of it, I might as well reduce the draw on the electrical system and make myself more visible.

I'm taking pictures as I go, but I don't have a hosting account anymore to post them. I'll figure something out later.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,827
If you decide to go LED, contact inmate 'sanjoh'. I have his ADV Monster dual sport fairing with his Model 30 (lo beam) and Model 44 (hi beam) setup. Plenty bright (perhaps illegally so). You may not need the fairing and you should be able to whip up a mount for the two light units. You'll need a controller, too. If you want to see a picture of the setup, on my XR2, let me know. I'm about to add one of his F11 Fogs to the lower fork leg (for extra visibility on-road). All the LEDs are in the 5500K light band which is most visible to the human eye (so you can see and be seen).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,645
I installed a generic HID bulb/ballast in my X2. I forget the details but it did involve a little surgery, nothing more than a dremel and some holes etc.

The difference is staggering it puts out a lot of light. The beam isn't "clipped" at the top but in practice riding with buddies they all say it's fine and I don't get high beamed either.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
I'm going to try glue gunning in one of the Cyclops LED H4 bulbs into my H2 light.

Add their rectifier if you want to use it on your AC circuit of your stator (most bikes come stock with AC and DC lines), DC charges the battery, AC powers your ignition and headlight.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...ulb-_p_83.html

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #12
e.Rock OP
No Guts, No Story

As RideFreak said, the 55W H3 bulb is a little brighter, but not significantly so. Hard to really tell until I get it out on the street, but that isn't happening for a while up here. I've got ice studs on, so maybe I'll take it out on the water at night once I get my MR16 installed just to see. With the stock bulbs it was scary on the ice. It felt like the light just stopped about 15 feet in front of the fender. Anything over 25mph and you felt like you were about to drive off a cliff.

If these bulb experiments don't work I will probably try a frankenstein approach with a generic HID setup as sailah did. If they're passable for daily driving, I'll probably mount my old NiteRider HID mountain bike setup on the fairing and wire it in to my battery. I did this on my XRL and it worked really well off road when I needed it. Only problem was that it was rare that I put it on, and it was really only usable off road.

Bronco638, PM sent for pics, thanks.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,071
I'm planning on getting a LED flood light from Sanjoh and replacing the lower (high) beam with it wholesale. It'll require making some parts to mount it up, but I'm thinking it will be good light, and I don't like the look of most of the dirtbike headlights out there.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 5,040
Did trail tech use different bulbs in the X2?

I see mention of H3, H1 and MR in this thread.

We could make a drop in for the lower light using a model 33, 44 or 60 if there is enough interest.

An led controller could be added if you wanted to use it as a low beam.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #15
81forest
ADDRider

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Did trail tech use different bulbs in the X2?

I see mention of H3, H1 and MR in this thread.

We could make a drop in for the lower light using a model 33, 44 or 60 if there is enough interest.

An led controller could be added if you wanted to use it as a low beam.
I'm interested in upgrading my X2 as well, and I'm fine with doing a little surgery.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote