User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 680
Road Test Day - Finally!!

Brackets: I made up some basic aluminium brackets with a screw/nut that fits perfectly into the rubber grommets of the OEM lower fairing connections. I could also have just used the bottom fork bolts and attached some brackets there. For the top two brackets I was planning to use some 2" wide aluminium that I picked up from Lowe's, but hell I just could not find it in my garage - dont you hate it when that happens? I settled for using some 1 1/2" flat steel and made the brackets out of it. Took a bit of doing to bend and get the angles right but they fit perfectly and hold strong. The fairing does not interfere with the front brake line or anything else.

Top Brackets

Then I took her out for a spin. Wow!! what a difference it makes, you dont "feel" the speed. Took it up to 50mph, pulled over and checked that all the bolts/nuts are nice and tight. I then took it down the road and opened her up to see if the fairing will flex and stability at speed, nothing at 45, nothing at 55, nothing at 65, nothing at 75, nothing at 85 and I kept going up to 89mph (see my GPS readout heehaw). No wind pressure on my chest, zetro zilch! Zero stability issues or side-to-side movement. I ride with a dirt helmet and this thing just sliced through the air with the lip at the top deflecting the wind right over the top of my helmet, creating a nice vacuum. I could still see perfectly over the top and it is not in the way when standing since it is mounted just forward enought to not be in the way.

Next step is to make up an instrument panel and trim up the top of the fairing to be the same as the other side.

aiMhi screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 03:55 PM
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #32
Scott1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195

Looks outstanding! Cant wait to see it.
Scott1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #33
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1911 View Post
Looks outstanding! Cant wait to see it.
I'll bring it out to the Elephant Ride which I cant wait for. Just need to change my rear tire to a new D606 and change my front sprocket from a 15 to a 14 for tractor mode.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
Scott1911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBRP View Post
I'll bring it out to the Elephant Ride which I cant wait for. Just need to change my rear tire to a new D606 and change my front sprocket from a 15 to a 14 for tractor mode.

swapping my sprocket as well. I have a feeling the weather will hold right up to the night before
Scott1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #35
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Been watching this and, wow, that really looks cool. Nice work.
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #36
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,016
I am also impressed. This is the perfect farkle for someone hitting the trails AND doing serious highway miles between dirt sections.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #37
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Thanks guys

Next week I am working on creating the dash for the fairing and hopefully get some of the LED lights in at some point.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #38
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Ok, this is not really post worthy but it is what I worked on/ thought about. Coming up with a simple dash that fits and provides some depth took some thought. It also needs to provide room for the front brake line to move up and down (when the front brakes are applied). It will attach at the bottom to the handlebar clamp and at the top to the fairing with quick removal wingnuts of some sorts. Now where is that aluminium that I cannot find in my garage............

At any rate a simple design. I need to pickup some resin since I dont have any left and at some point fiberglass it.
I noticed more engine noise being deflected up when I did my test ride, the dash should hush it up.

I also got one of the LED lights in that I am going to use for my headlight. Holy crap it is bright . I tested it at 6V on a AC - DC power adapter & 6V battery and it provides PLENTY light. Sorry I could not get a foto of it. One of these on a car is adequate, really. Glad I ordered the $10 LED dimmers from Ebay for each light.

I will need to figure out how to mount the key fobs that come with the LED dimmers, any ideas let me know

aiMhi screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 12:30 PM
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

********************02/05/12 ******************

Universal Enduro Fairing - Model Stealth (XR650R or other enduro)

I have made the decision to produce some of these universal fairings

Hopefully over the next couple weeks I will be back with something to show. After that I will move the thread to the Vendor side of the house. Thanks for the input from several of the ADV inmates.

Here is the deal:

I am looking at a cost to you of around $175 (excluding shipping & tax).

Included:
- $5 donated to a Keep the Trails Open organization or national Adventure Rider Non-Profit organization (your name included)
- Universal fairing
- Fiberglass cloth construction (mat is cheaper but will crack easier on impact)
- Superb Gel-Coat finish, with thick primer, ready to paint
- Simple bracket instructions and template (if avail for your bike)
- No lights - template for holes (OEM will work or LED is the way to go - can provide instructions/template)
- Template & instructions to make $10 Lexan healight protector (if you need it)
- Available in time - universal dash, carbon fiber fihish, colored fiberglass finish..

If anyone have a big dual-sport (350cc and up) that would like to be a tester send me a PM.
I would give that person a 25% discount and the option to return if it does not fit (within 30 days of purchase)

aiMhi screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 01:20 PM
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,151
I'll be honest, it looks nice, and be great for a desert machine. I be concerned with enduro style riding. That the likelihood of dropping and having that big screen means damage is likely to it and to the rider. Plus having ones body flung through it would not be a fun experience or ones head coming down on it.

There is a market for this though, for those that want to ride in the open desert at speed like Dakar style of riding. So I am not saying there is no market. Just a different one.

Plus you need some time to research durability and what have you. I'm not interested for my type of riding *sorry*

But you need to pick someone that rides a lot, rides various trails and that can test the unit out along with your riding. This should help you to decide if production would be wise. Remember XR650R's although popular are getting up there in age due to them not being made past 2007. As these machines age people will not drop as much CASH on them as they would a new machine or near new machine.

I only am trying to help as a friend, you got my number if you wish to call. You also could look to get these produced for you, then all you need to be a LLC with some insurance as your just the vendor not the maker. If you have someone test a unit make them sign a paper saying they realize its a TEST unit and that it is for OFF ROAD use only.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #41
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Thanks for the feedback Mark. BTW nothing can accomodate your riding style -
Responses below:

modette;17893482]I'll be honest, it looks nice, and be great for a desert machine. I be concerned with enduro style riding. That the likelihood of dropping and having that big screen means damage is likely to it and to the rider. Plus having ones body flung through it would not be a fun experience or ones head coming down on it.

Everything we attach to a dirt bike is prone to damage, however if the bike is laid down on the side there should be minimal damage. It was one of the issues I wanted to prevent, therefore it does not extend beyond the tank like a "wrap-around" fairing. If you go over the handlebards the top brackets will pop off and the fairing will flex, it is not that rigid. Your nuts might hit it but oh well you are off-road right . The position of the fairing is key, it has to be far forward. In terms of the decapitation concern take note the lip angle at the top. If you cartwheel or crash into something good luck, you have bigger issues to worry about than a 3mm thick fairing, like your life and that bus sized boulder .

There is a market for this though, for those that want to ride in the open desert at speed like Dakar style of riding. So I am not saying there is no market. Just a different one.

Plus you need some time to research durability and what have you. I'm not interested for my type of riding *sorry*

But you need to pick someone that rides a lot, rides various trails and that can test the unit out along with your riding. This should help you to decide if production would be wise. Remember XR650R's although popular are getting up there in age due to them not being made past 2007. As these machines age people will not drop as much CASH on them as they would a new machine or near new machine.

This is truly for universal use and I think most people have paid for their XR's and should have cash laying around, yeah right. I would expect people to see the value in this.

I only am trying to help as a friend, you got my number if you wish to call. You also could look to get these produced for you, then all you need to be a LLC with some insurance as your just the vendor not the maker. If you have someone test a unit make them sign a paper saying they realize its a TEST unit and that it is for OFF ROAD use only

It is a given that I cant make these myself, I dont have time or access to the type of facility or safety equipment to make these consistently. I am fine on the business side of this thanks for the input. I would not put out a crap part and have people waive their rights. In most states it does not hold up anyways, my wife handles insurance litigation.

At least I got one response. Thanks for the input Modette.

aiMhi screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 12:16 PM
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #42
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Mark. BTW nothing can accomodate your riding style -

That is true....
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
Lark I see your faring appealing to DS guys that do long rides like the TAT or CDT. It provides some wind protection and a shield to place sensitive electronics behind. The guys riding the Dakar rally would probably prefer no faring to the one that's used but they need that protection. I ride allot of desert and for the kind of riding I do I'd have the same worries Modette mentioned. Not trying to discourage you at all, I think they'd sell. $175 is cheap for what you're offering. I just think you need to be realistic on who this would appeal to. Dakar stuff is cool but impractical for an intermediate rider taking their pig on rough mountian trails, moab or fast desert with deep wash crossings that can fling your body forward to the point of almost hitting the bars. For DS stuff that faring would be nice.

Great job on the build!

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #44
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Lark I see your faring appealing to DS guys that do long rides like the TAT or CDT. It provides some wind protection and a shield to place sensitive electronics behind. The guys riding the Dakar rally would probably prefer no faring to the one that's used but they need that protection. I ride allot of desert and for the kind of riding I do I'd have the same worries Modette mentioned. Not trying to discourage you at all, I think they'd sell. $175 is cheap for what you're offering. I just think you need to be realistic on who this would appeal to. Dakar stuff is cool but impractical for an intermediate rider taking their pig on rough mountian trails, moab or fast desert with deep wash crossings that can fling your body forward to the point of almost hitting the bars. For DS stuff that faring would be nice.

Great job on the build!
Thanks for the input RideFreak, appreciate it. This fairing is for right in between a full blown Dakar fairing and the typical OEM mini headlight fairing, that is why I did not make the full wraparound. I think I need to get it out so people can see it for themselves and go from there. Personally I would ride tight trails with this, it is not that massive of a fairing.

Thanks again
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #45
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Thanks for the input RideFreak, appreciate it. This fairing is for right in between a full blown Dakar fairing and the typical OEM mini headlight fairing, that is why I did not make the full wraparound. I think I need to get it out so people can see it for themselves and go from there. Personally I would ride tight trails with this, it is not that massive of a fairing.

Thanks again
I'll offer to take pictures of you riding with this fairing. Once we get some NICE weather and trails are clear.