Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #181
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Bob I tried to text you last night but didn't get a reply. I only had a few hours this morning so decided to explore some of the Malabar-Valkaria area, I would have posted on here to see if anyone else wanted to go but didn't know how early I was going to feel like getting up. Anyway, left my house around 8:00 and tooled around Port Malabar looking for a way into the woods which didn't work out so well. Finally made it over to Malabar, and then got in. I got a little lost and ended up at a lake. Lots of trails, but the only further route South I could find had Big No Trespassing signs so I back-tracked out of there and headed home.

Beautiful day for it, cool and overcast.

bdolnik screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 04:18 PM
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #182
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
My loaner vehicles are finally prepped for my buddies, so I'm free with time again, and the weather is looking clearer for tomorrow now.

JWood, a lot of us would probably love to try riding your acreage any weekend we're free. Your invitation is very generous. By the same token, if you'd like somebody to ride with up to Ocala or Eglin sometime, I don't mind that trip at all on most weekends. With notice, we could meet up with some of the Sand Fleas and many of them would probably love to show you around Ocala NF...at ludicrous speed. DR. Z and the others know the place well.

Spacecoasters and spacecoast visitors, post here or text/PM me if you want to meet up. Suggestions for new breakfast places are always welcome.

Also, if anybody around here has some passenger pegs that they aren't using for a week or so, I'd appreciate 'em. The DR takes male pegs about 14.75mm (0.58") thick at the bracket, and I can shim skinnier ones with washers. I have some pegs on the way, but they may take some time to get here. I'm contemplating fabbing some longer ones at work eventually, if anybody else has a passenger that doesn't like the dinky stock pegs that get slippery when wet. I'm planning to drill and tap aluminum stock to use setscrews for traction, like on my Fastway pegs. I might even just do that to stock pegs, and see if they're tolerable merely modified like that.

Bob

Edited because I now have to drop off some stuff in the AM, so my morning plans are kaput. I might be riding later in the day though.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 03:24 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #183
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Ok, my morning errands are done. I'm ready for lunch and gearing up for some riding. I plan to head down to Palm Bay and stop at the Panda Express by I95 on Malabar Rd. After lunch, I'm heading down Babcock towards Fellsmere, catching Willowbrook out west to Sebastian Canal, then heading south to Fellsmere Rd.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 03:24 PM
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #184
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Well, going west off Babcock on Willowbrook it turns into private property about where Willowbrook changes into Sebastian Canal.

I turned around and rode up to The Compound, coming into that area via St. Andre from Cogan. The trails along the canals in there are whoops for much of the way north to Bombardier. Cruising through the whoops in the middle of 2nd to keep the revs up for the sand, the DR felt like it was either going to get swallowed or start skimming, and I know that I'm not at the skimming level of riding whoops just yet...not on a 370lb bulldozer anyway. I found a really neat trail, along a canal, that's so overgrown that it seems like riding in a small tunnel. I made it all the way up to the hills without issue, then dumped the DR in a flat turnaround. The bulldozer climbs really nicely with the 14T sprocket on. From the bottom of some of those climbs, I thought for sure I'd only make it partway up before getting stuck and dumping it, but the DR tractored right up everything I pointed it at. There are even several climbs to catch air off of if you have a clear sightline or a spotter for any potential oncoming traffic, so you can gas it. There were several people out there on quads, UTVs, and dirtbikes. There were guys out on sportbikes, carving up the open pavement. I even passed 5 people on a tiny trail, crammed into a little Jeep, crawling through the mudholes. There were two boys out riding the sand too. I think they were brothers that lived right in the area, as the older boy was riding a quad and looking out for this tiny little kid on a tiny little dirtbike. It's good to see kids outside having fun and looking out for the younger ones. A lot more places used to seem like that when I was younger. Now we have people complaining to their HOAs if kids are playing outside, a bunch of places are fenced off and posted, and there are entire towns that don't allow skateboards, roller blades, bicycles, mini-bikes, or anything for a kid to explore or do besides play organized sports or video games.

Anyway...I rode all over the hilly area before lightning started getting close. I decided to head for home, before it got nasty. One of the groups I had seen on quads earlier was getting on I-95 from Malabar ahead of me. They were laughing and cheering as I went by their truck and trailer on the interstate, still riding my "dirtbike". I need to start using my horn and signals on the trails more.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 04:12 PM
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #185
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

I got out this morning for a couple hours and hit the Malabar area... tons of trails out there to explore. Here's a short video I did... older GoPro camera so quality is not that great. Love that long sandy ride down the fence line at the end, recognize that Bob?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #186
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

I hardly ever encounter anybody else in those Malabar trails. Just watch out for trucks or quads coming the other way. They take up almost the whole width of trail in a lot of places, and some of them are flying.

There are a lot of dirt roads and trails to explore down there near Valkaria, Grant, and Fellsmere. You just have to keep alert for the little turn-offs. Even some of the mundane-looking dirt roads get whooped in some places. I should start saving all the interesting stuff I find as waypoints in the GPS.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #187
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

I took a quick ride Sunday afternoon out to the end of Eau Gallie Blvd, not a lot of room to ride out there but pretty cool none the less. I wanted to go look behind the Flee Market to see if there was access to that trail paralleling I95, but I never got over there. Instead I road right up to the lake (Lake Washington), into a nice Hammock Tree covered area, then over to Evinrude Road. If you've never been there you owe it to yourself to go look. It's almost surreal... beautiful well manicured lawns, with clean little suburban houses... the only thing setting them apart from most other neighborhoods is the multiple air boats sitting in the yards. Just something weird about seeing a bunch of them sitting up on these nice grass yards. I've never seen anything like it, would love to live over there.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #188
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Motorcross Track

Does anyone know who's mx track this is out off of John Rhodes Blvd?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #189
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

I'm planning to ride dirt in the AM tomorrow, Saturday, 04/27/13, if anybody wants to meet up for breakfast around 0700-0730. Post in this thread.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #190
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I'm planning to ride dirt in the AM tomorrow, Saturday, 04/27/13, if anybody wants to meet up for breakfast around 0700-0730. Post in this thread.
I'm in... just let me know the details.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #191
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
I'm in... just let me know the details.
'Heading north to Malibu's (165 Barton in Rockledge, a little ways west of US1) for breakfast, then swing by Canaveral Groves for a romp in the sand for a bit. It's not far to Meritt Island Wildlife Refuge from there.

Have you ridden either of those much yet?

Text me in the AM if you have any questions/concerns/ideas/etc.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #192
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Who wants to meet up with some Central FL riders to ride near Lake Okeechobee tomorrow AM?

I'm still trying to find out where and when in the AM, but you can check out the "Don't let me die alone" thread for some more info. I'd recommend a hydration pack or something. Walmart has them for $20.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #193
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Who wants to meet up with some Central FL riders to ride near Lake Okeechobee tomorrow AM?
I can only ride for a little while in the morning tomorrow. If the Okeechobee thing doesn't work out for you let me know, I found some nice stuff out by Valkaria that I'm probably going to go explore early, early AM tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #194
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Deep Sand

Made a 'spur of the moment' run down South this evening for a few hours... really just on the hunt for new places, and to try out some different camera mounts I've been wanting to play with. Put together a short video, hope you enjoy! Some of this sand was wicked deep!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #195
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

I should be able to ride until 1PM tomorrow, if anybody wants to meet up in the AM. I might also be available on Sunday for a few hours.