ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #211
Rambo1
Adventurer
 
Rambo1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
Oddometer: 91
yep, thanks for the reply...
Rambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #212
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
Hey riders,

BDolnick and I are meeting up for an after-breakfast ride, Saturday around 7AM at the diner on the south side of Palm Bay Rd by Troutman Blvd., if anybody wants to ride southern Brevard Cnty. At least a front semi-knob is recommended, but not absolutely necessary. The proposed riding area was a bit challenging in some places for me on a DR650 with a full knobby on the front, and I actually got high-centered on the skid for a minute or so at one point. PM me if you're running late and I might be able to guide you to us via smartphone/gps.
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.


Kommando screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 05:56 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #213
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
B, I'm not only putting another front knob on...I'm also ordering a front grab strap that bolts to my forks.

I'm bringing a longer tow-rope next time too.


The rest of you riders, B and I were talking about doing another ride this 3-day weekend in the AM. Who's up for it?
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #214
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bdolnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Spacecoaster
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
B, I'm not only putting another front knob on...
Yea I'm not totally sure a new front knob is what you need here

__________________
2013 Honda CRF250L
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #215
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
Whaaaaat?!

With another 24" of ground clearance and a fresh front knob, I feel pretty confident that I'd have made that no problem!

__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #216
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 169
I think I will be in Port Charlotte for a month or more starting just before Christmas. I was thinking of bringing my DR 650. I know it's not all that close to the 'Spacecoaster' area, but maybe someone has a few ideas on cool riding spots over near Port Charlotte. I've spent a bunch of time in Port Charlottle and always wondered if there could be great riding around there. I could also do a few rides over to the Atlantic side, as I don't mind my DR on the highway. I just did 2500 miles on it with loads of asphalt.

Kommando, I'm over on DRRIDER as well and saw that you responded to my luggage rack thread. I saw you were in Florida and did a search on where 'spacecoaster' was. Didn't find that 'town' :) but your Great Spacecoaster dualsporting thread was first in Google. :)
__________________
2005 Suzuki DR650
CanadaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #217
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
I think I will be in Port Charlotte for a month or more starting just before Christmas. I was thinking of bringing my DR 650. I know it's not all that close to the 'Spacecoaster' area, but maybe someone has a few ideas on cool riding spots over near Port Charlotte. I've spent a bunch of time in Port Charlottle and always wondered if there could be great riding around there. I could also do a few rides over to the Atlantic side, as I don't mind my DR on the highway. I just did 2500 miles on it with loads of asphalt.

Kommando, I'm over on DRRIDER as well and saw that you responded to my luggage rack thread. I saw you were in Florida and did a search on where 'spacecoaster' was. Didn't find that 'town' :) but your Great Spacecoaster dualsporting thread was first in Google. :)
December is an awesome time for riding down here. It's fairly dry, the temperatures are cooler, and some of the underbrush is a little thinner.

IMO, a bike like the DR650 can be a great bike for down here. It's light enough to be run through the sand if you don't mind muscling it a bit, and it's enough bike to run interstate all day if you don't want to trailer.

Spacecoast is over by Kennedy Space Center. It's basically eastern Brevard County, from up north of Titusville to down south of Palm Bay. You could come over from Port Charlotte by riding 41S to 17/35N to 70E, then taking 70E to 441N to 60E or 192E, or 70E all the way out to I-95N. There is even a little Ural Motorcycle museum to see on 441, just south of 192. Three Lakes WMA is also along 441 and 60, and Bull Creek WMA is along 192 if you turn south at Crabgrass Rd. There is a small cemetery, that dates back to Civil War times, in the north part of Bull Creek WMA. Much of the Spacecoast area is about 3-3.5hrs from Port Charlotte.

Around Port Charlotte, I'd be tempted to check out the Cecil Webb WMA. Be mindful and considerate of hunting seasons in the winter though. I ride in hi-viz orange or green year-round, for several reasons. The WMAs are full of hunters through much of the winter. The Wildlife Refuges are good for staying away from the hunters, and the riding is typically exploratory and scenic, rather than technical. I see all kinds of birds, gators, pigs, manatees, and other critters in the winter while riding the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. I'd also explore the sideroads along the Caloosahatchee River, to the southeast of Port Charlotte. The Everglades and Lake Okeechobee aren't very far away either, and winter python hunting could also be something you'd like to do in the 'Glades. To the north, a lot of us near Central FL ride Richloam, Croom, and/or Ocala NF. These are easy to access off of I-75, with Richloam and Croom being about 2.5hrs away, and Ocala NF being about 3hrs from Port Charlotte. There are also a few paved hills in the state if you wander over to Fisheating Creek Outpost on Bermont Rd, or Lake Placid on 70E, and take 27N to Haines City, exploring interesting sideroads as you go. I found some interesting clay sideroads around the groves over there, and the hills around the lakes are fun, paved or not.

BDolnick and I find a lot of routes by word of mouth, perusing Google Maps, and by following up on "Hmm...I wonder where that little road goes.".

Give us a holler when you come down. Some of the Sand Fleas probably know that part of the state pretty well, or they can show you around Richloam, Croom, or Ocala NF better than I could. Bring a sand-capable front knob to make the dirt easier. The MT21, IRC TR8, and Pirelli XCMH are popular DOT front knobs down here. Be warned, some of the residents can ride a bit fast in the sand and palmettos, and you could lose them at forks in the trail. Make sure your horn works and bring a cellphone. Beware of drivers down here too. Do NOT trust them to drive sensibly. They turn their brains off when they get behind the wheel.
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.


Kommando screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 10:41 AM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #218
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
December is an awesome time for riding down here. It's fairly dry, the temperatures are cooler, and some of the underbrush is a little thinner.

IMO, a bike like the DR650 can be a great bike for down here. It's light enough to be run through the sand if you don't mind muscling it a bit, and it's enough bike to run interstate all day if you don't want to trailer.

Spacecoast is over by Kennedy Space Center. It's basically eastern Brevard County, from up north of Titusville to down south of Palm Bay. You could come over from Port Charlotte by riding 41S to 17/35N to 70E, then taking 70E to 441N to 60E or 192E, or 70E all the way out to I-95N. There is even a little Ural Motorcycle museum to see on 441, just south of 192. Three Lakes WMA is also along 441 and 60, and Bull Creek WMA is along 192 if you turn south at Crabgrass Rd. There is a small cemetery, that dates back to Civil War times, in the north part of Bull Creek WMA. Much of the Spacecoast area is about 3-3.5hrs from Port Charlotte.

Around Port Charlotte, I'd be tempted to check out the Cecil Webb WMA. Be mindful and considerate of hunting seasons in the winter though. I ride in hi-viz orange or green year-round, for several reasons. The WMAs are full of hunters through much of the winter. The Wildlife Refuges are good for staying away from the hunters, and the riding is typically exploratory and scenic, rather than technical. I see all kinds of birds, gators, pigs, manatees, and other critters in the winter while riding the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. I'd also explore the sideroads along the Caloosahatchee River, to the southeast of Port Charlotte. The Everglades and Lake Okeechobee aren't very far away either, and winter python hunting could also be something you'd like to do in the 'Glades. To the north, a lot of us near Central FL ride Richloam, Croom, and/or Ocala NF. These are easy to access off of I-75, with Richloam and Croom being about 2.5hrs away, and Ocala NF being about 3hrs from Port Charlotte. There are also a few paved hills in the state if you wander over to Fisheating Creek Outpost on Bermont Rd, or Lake Placid on 70E, and take 27N to Haines City, exploring interesting sideroads as you go. I found some interesting clay sideroads around the groves over there, and the hills around the lakes are fun, paved or not.

BDolnick and I find a lot of routes by word of mouth, perusing Google Maps, and by following up on "Hmm...I wonder where that little road goes.".

Give us a holler when you come down. Some of the Sand Fleas probably know that part of the state pretty well, or they can show you around Richloam, Croom, or Ocala NF better than I could. Bring a sand-capable front knob to make the dirt easier. The MT21, IRC TR8, and Pirelli XCMH are popular DOT front knobs down here. Be warned, some of the residents can ride a bit fast in the sand and palmettos, and you could lose them at forks in the trail. Make sure your horn works and bring a cellphone. Beware of drivers down here too. Do NOT trust them to drive sensibly. They turn their brains off when they get behind the wheel.
Wow, thanks for the great info. I'm excited about brining my bike down. I was close to replacing my tires anyway, and had planned on trying some cheap Shinko 705s, but maybe I'll try the Kenda 784, or maybe at least in the front. I hear the 784 front works well with the Shinko 705 rear.

But I'll definitely give a holler when I get down there!!
__________________
2005 Suzuki DR650
CanadaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #219
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
Wow, thanks for the great info. I'm excited about brining my bike down. I was close to replacing my tires anyway, and had planned on trying some cheap Shinko 705s, but maybe I'll try the Kenda 784, or maybe at least in the front. I hear the 784 front works well with the Shinko 705 rear.

But I'll definitely give a holler when I get down there!!
If the 784 doesn't work out for you, I usually have a few spare 21" knobbies laying around the garage that you can try.
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #220
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
I'm riding Saturday morning, barring thunderstorms, if anybody is up for a ride. I may head down by Lake Okeechobee, as I have never seen it. 192W out to 441S looks like a good route down.
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #221
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder
 
Bobby Ginger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: N.E. FL
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I'm riding Saturday morning, barring thunderstorms, if anybody is up for a ride. I may head down by Lake Okeechobee, as I have never seen it. 192W out to 441S looks like a good route down.
As remember the lake has a big berm around it. Might have to get close in one of the parks.
__________________
2009 GSA 2008 Husky TE450 2013 Husky Terra
IBA 50407
Bobby Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #222
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bdolnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Spacecoaster
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I'm riding Saturday morning, barring thunderstorms, if anybody is up for a ride. I may head down by Lake Okeechobee, as I have never seen it. 192W out to 441S looks like a good route down.
Hey Bob I'd like to go but have other plans this weekend. Be up for it next weekend though.
__________________
2013 Honda CRF250L
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #223
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
Hey Bob I'd like to go but have other plans this weekend. Be up for it next weekend though.
Roger that. I have some friends coming down to Disney from Chicago this weekend too, so I could do some exploring over that way before their flight comes in instead. We can plan an Okeechobee ride for next weekend.
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #224
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
Thread revival time!

If anybody is interested, BDolnick and I are meeting up to ride in the AM, around 0700, at the Harbor City Diner, north of 192 on Wickham, in Melbourne. Destination/Trails to be determined.
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #225
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,441
Well, I figured out what the problem with my new DR's choke (enrichener) was. Evidently, somebody doing bike setup at the dealer or factory thinks that an enrichener plunger should be loc-tited in the ON position. Somebody also thinks that the brass cap covering the idle-mix screw should be loc-tited into place too. The choke lever actually does something now, and I hopefully cured most of the stalling problem I was having. I might have to adjust the float level to cure it 100%, but it's at least close now.
__________________
'8yrs in the Marines, 'almost a decade of knocking heads in the service industry, I took a ride out to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving at 41yrs old, and my mom confiscated my bike.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014