Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
scubadown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I would be up for a ride this weekend. Let me know.

scubadown at hotmail.com
scubadown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Going 4 wheelin today at Suburban Estates at Holopaw. My 4 wheeler ain't been dirty in a while.
RSOJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
I would be up for a ride this weekend. Let me know.

scubadown at hotmail.com
Saturday morning is the tentative plan.

Who's on board to see if Shiloh Marsh Rd. is open, and to possibly ride Gator Creek Rd. later, out on the island?

Somebody who knows the island, go ahead and chime in...recommend a decent inexpensive meeting place for breakfast out that way.

For those of you that don't like riding sugarsand, but want to get off the pavement here in Spacecoast FL, Gator Creek Rd. is your ride. It's pretty much cratered hardpack with some small rocks here and there. It's a birdwatcher bonanza most days out there too. You never know what you're gonna see.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
scubadown
Adventurer

The Causeway Diner,3712 N. Courtenay Parkway, Merritt Island, Fl 32953
(321) 454-9898 is pretty good. Although the weather forecast for Saturday sucks;

Saturday:
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 77. Windy, with a south wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,989
I just stumbled across a web page showing road status in the Refuge.

Looks like Shiloh Marsh is closed for major maintenance TFN.

East & West Gator Creek Rds are open. BTW, Where is Gator Creek Rd? I have never seen it and couldn't get Google to find it either, except for a biking page and a fishing page - no maps.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
I just stumbled across a web page showing road status in the Refuge.

Looks like Shiloh Marsh is closed for major maintenance TFN.

East & West Gator Creek Rds are open. BTW, Where is Gator Creek Rd? I have never seen it and couldn't get Google to find it either, except for a biking page and a fishing page - no maps.
The Gator Creek Rds. are just NE of the bridge going over from US1 by Garden St. in Titusville. After you get over the causeway bridge, you'll see the fishing pulloff on the SE side of the road. Continue past that until you see an entrance/parking lot on the right. Turn right and follow that little dirt road. It takes you out and around the lagoons/marshes to Gator Creek Rds.

I couldn't find Shiloh Marsh Rd. on Google Maps either.

Well...I'm up for riding in rainy/wet conditions, but I've got gear...and swimming trunks. I don't ride in lightning though. A bike doesn't usually create any kind of faraday cage like a car does.

We'll have to see how bad it's supposed to be in the early AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,989
Thanks!

Shiloh Marsh Rd may or may not come up on a Google search, but is labeled on the Google maps. The NW entrance is on US1 at the northern base of the RR overpass a couple of miles south of the junction with SR3. Has the big brown Day Use area sign as you look over your right shoulder. When its open all the way, the southern end comes out on SR 3. When its closed as now, you can ride or drive in about a mile from the north entrance until you hit the cable across the road. In past years, when its been closed to vehicles over the winter it has remained open for hikers and bicyclists. This year the sign says Closed TFN. Period.

On the Google satellite view you can see its white roadbed winding along the lagoon shoreline for about 11 miles. Looking westward across the river/lagoon from about the middle of it you are looking across towards Scottsmoor Park. And from Scottsmoor Park (Huntingdon Rd off US1) likewise looking across to Shiloh Marsh Road.

A few interesting looking side roads along Shiloh Marsh, but they are always cabled off.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Well...'Didn't ride this morning due to the alleged storms we were supposed to get. They haven't gotten here yet, so I'm going riding. It's about 1200hrs, and I'll be coming over the bridge from Titusville in about 45 minutes, if anybody wants to ride Gator Creek until the storms get here. I'll check the fishing pullout for anybody on the SE side of the road as I get over the bridge. I'll be wearing black pants, a HiViz green jacket, and a silver/gray helmet.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
scubadown
Adventurer

Went riding north Merritt Island about 9AM. Sorry I missed you.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

It turned out to be a beautiful day out there, didn't it? I need to watch the weather-in-motion radar maps a little closer, and be a little more doubting when storms are predicted. If worst comes to worst, I can always zip back over the bridge to Titusville and find shelter anyway.

I also need to replace my street helmet and the Velveeta handlebars on my DR. I had a little "off", hitting the uphill side of a ditch at about 50MPH. I'd have likely been fine going a lot slower, or downshifting and gassing the snot out of it. I think I'm going to tape some of those reminder notes by my speedo...

- Don't out-ride your sightlines.

- This pig is NOT an enduro racer.

- You're not made out of rubber anymore.

- If you find that you've outridden your sightlines again, 1. You're a dumbass, and 2. GAS it!

Now that I think about it, maybe a big dry-erase board is more suited, or one of those scrolling LED displays that one can program messages into.

As it is, I'm thinking that the DR's rubber-mounted Velveeta handlebars are a good thing, especially if you don't gorilla-torque the mounts. As I sailed over the bars, I felt my right thigh and left upper shin hit the bars (armored gear saved my butt from serious injury today). My thigh knocked the starter button and my cruise-control wonky, as it bent the right side of the bars forward a few inches. I think my MOOSE handlebar pad acted as a cushioned roller across my belly as I barely felt anything else until about 10 seconds later when I hit the ground in a forward tuck and rolled back up onto my feet. Whee.

After straightening out my handguards and mirrors as well as possible with the bars taco'd, I had to disassemble the starter button to pop the little lever back into the housing. Re-assembled, the DR fired back up like I'd just hopped off to enjoy the view...inverted.

The ride home was a little slanted.

All in all, it was a fun outing. I rode Gator Creek all over, then kept going out towards Playalinda on 402 until I got to Kennedy Pkwy N. Here I hung a left and started exploring the open roads/trails along the main road. I found a hilly area to play in on the NW side of the haul-over canal. There were a few sideroads/trails along Kennedy Pkwy N that appeared to be abandoned. Some places had been paved long ago, but are now succumbing to weeds and other brush.

I saw a hawk, egrets, some pink bird mixed in with a huge flock of those, ibises, herons, ducks, anhingas, red-winged blackbirds, vultures, pelicans, and a few wading birds and blackbirds I have yet to identify. I didn't see any gators today, but I stopped for a minute to chat with a woman who was taking pictures of a gator that her friend had spotted from their SUV. She seemed shocked when I told her that gators were ALL OVER the marsh area, then she started looking around with a concerned look on her face.

"Enjoy the scenery!"

Maybe next time I'll also mention the many bull sharks in the lagoons to people wading out to fish.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
Putzy
Adventurer

all this talk of riding is killing me. so busy lately. this coming weekend i am tied up, but i hope to be out riding next weekend.
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
all this talk of riding is killing me. so busy lately. this coming weekend i am tied up,
Hey, whatever you and your significant other like to do in the privacy of your own home, that's YOUR business.

Quote:
but i hope to be out riding next weekend.
We'll be waitin' for ya. I can show you where to take your bike over some sweet jumps.

Kommando screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 11:02 AM
Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #28
flwindsurf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I'm up for a ride this weekend as long as it's hard pack.
flwindsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
Putzy
Adventurer

Can we post up GPS coordinates of good riding spots?

I have been reading this thread, and others, looking for places to ride in the area. many times the roads mentioned are not searchable on google maps. It would be great if people post gps coordinates or a google maps link showing where they are talking about please. I have been having a hard time finding places to ride, as everywhere I go that looks good on satellite ends up being gated off or No Tresspass signs all over.

Also, wow, was kinda scared i might get shot last time i went up riding. Went up Satellite rd, and in west on Seville. i stopped for a drink near the end of seville, when i started hearing gunshots. Lots of them. Close. and it sounded like i was down range. So i drove back out Seville to Satellite, and run across a bunch of guys along Satellite at one of the clearings shooting off to the west. Too close for me man.

Putzy screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 08:43 PM
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,180
Any of you FFs interested in riding ONF on Sunday?

Check the fleas thread.

We can meet here...

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=29...sz=16&t=m&z=16

Expect there to be sand along the route. But, there's definitely some good trails to explore.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote