Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
Sandspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Hey Kommando glad you liked the route, it has some nice long tall sand berms in the middle part of the main trail that you can really hook up and roost. You went without knobs? That would be challenging, I run D606's all the time just because of that route and Space Coast Credit Union trails. So noisey on the street but almost mandadory for our area.
Sorry I missed your msg. My 650 is down due to a rear bearing exploding but I can dust off the 350 and ride soon. looking for a way to link Maria street to Palm Bay road usinng dirt and maybe the railroad tracks. It would be through a sketchy part of town with some pavement to link trails. Reseraching on goggle maps, I'm off Friday-Sunday, I'll post here if anyone wants to ride in the Palm Bay/Melbourne area, Plan B would be the Compound, there are numerous trails in and around the area that are moto friendly. Plus Hey its the Compound! its our only "hill" we have in town.
Sandspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #47
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,077
'Went down to Malabar Rd. and Marie after work today, to try the new sand knobby I spooned on the front yesterday.

Success!

She still aint no 200lb trailbike, but she'll at least TRY to go where I point her now. I don't know how long it'll last on the road, but I thought I'd see how much of a difference it would make for $20. The big DR behaves noticeably better in the soft sand and mud than with the worn DeathWing, but I still have to learn to trust weighting the front end when turning. A rear sand/mud knob would be nice in this place too, for turns and stability, but the K761 with 5K miles on it still has no problem keeping the DR moving. It's good for hanging the back end out with a little throttle. 'Traction for wheelies? 'Not so much.

When I have a little more time, I'll have to explore the network down there so I can get familiar enough to carry more speed. A lot of the turns are bermed, and soft if you fall.

Kommando screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 10:48 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #48
Sandspit
Adventurer

Alright Kommando! good to see the knobbies going on, is that a non-DOT knobby? Hopefully it last for a while. Thanks for the pictures, the Malabar area is fun and from the pics it looks dry. I never see much two - wheel activity there so I am not afraid of this place blowing up with exposure. Dual sports around here seem scarce which is not a bad thing. If you spoon on a rear knobby you will be able to hook up nice in the 5 foot berm rythmn section. So fun, roost through the left berm, adjust and attack the next right berm, sometimes your on a rail, sometime way out of composure..I never seem to get a clean perfect run through all of monster berms. At least the sand is real soft.
My parts for the klr show up tommorrow, hopefully we can meet up this weekend hit this trail or the Compound, Do you ride Space Coast Credit Union? real deep sand there but some fun trails, whoops, mini-hills, rednecks, trucks, 2-Smokers, quads, girls, abandon boats, bums living in the woods, rope swing into the pond, beer cans, etc...deffinately a country spot in the middle of town.
I'll post back when the bike is running for some suggestions on time..anyone out there is free to join in.
-Sandspit
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #49
scubadown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Guys, I would be up for a ride this weekend. I would love to see how you guys do sand. I have had my KLR on some sand but went to 5A onetime and gave up. What is the Space Coast Credit Union trail you speak of?

Tom
scubadown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #50
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
If no one has ever coached you on sand, the key things are: Stand on the pegs (if you have to sit briefly do it well aft of where you would normally put your butt); get up to the speed that your tires like and the front tire floats on top of the sand - you can feel the front try to sink in even in the pauses during shifts; hold the bars very loosely and steer with your weight on the pegs as if you were riding no hands; don't ever fight the bars or grab them tight; let the bike wander and wobble as you steer by weight on the pegs.

My F650 was easiest to handle with Tourances aired down to about 24 psi at arond 35 mph. With the TKC80 knobs and aired down the same it settled in at 40-45 mph. And that's about as fast as I want to fall. It would probably be even more stable at 50-60, but my bones are getting old.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #51
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
'Went down to Malabar Rd. and Marie after work today, to try the new sand knobby I spooned on the front yesterday.

Success!

Be careful with that tire on the street. It tends to wash out according to one of the d00ds that rides with us in ONF. It's good in the sand but not on pavement.

When you wear that one out, check out a Pirelli Scorpion Pro or a Michelin S-12. There's also a Shinko that has a similar tread pattern and is about $45 or so. Complete the combo with a Kenda Trakmaster II rear and you'll like the results in the sand and on the street. I have run a few sets these on my DRZ and haven't found anything that works better IMO. I usually get about 3k miles on them before they're shot.

My .02.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #52
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Thanks for the tips, Mark! I've been riding at mostly an exploratory pace on the Malabar trails so far, because I'm unfamiliar with them and there are blind turns. At even 25PSI and low speeds in the sand though, the front knob makes the big DR more steerable in both straights and in turns. It grabs pretty good in the soft stuff for braking too. In testing, I was able to clamp the front binders pretty good without locking up.

The tire changes on this bike have been pretty easy so far. I actually broke the bead on the stock front DeathWing pretty easily with my bare hands, and I didn't eat my Wheaties with extra steroids that morning or anything. I had to use levers to pull the tire over the lip of the rim to get it off though. Then I put the front knob (w/powdered tube) on 3/4 of the way without any tools too. The valve-stem wasn't even very difficult to get through by hand. I was expecting a real hassle. I may try the zip-tie trick next time.

I don't expect the knob to last very long, but it was $19.99, so I figured, "What the heck. I'll see if it makes a big difference in the sand.". So far, it's liveable on dry pavement. I haven't ridden any interstate with it yet, but it ran on US1 @ 55MPH OK. I went easy on the brakes and turns while on pavement, and I made it all the way back up from Malabar and Marie to Lake Washington and Wickham with all the nubbies still on the knobs. I guess these things don't exactly melt on pavement like butter on a hot griddle. I was extremely happy that none of the knobs chunked. It doesn't feel as stable as the DS tires on the pavement though, especially in turns. When this tire wears out, I hope I can find a 10K-mile DOT tire that works almost as well in the sand...the MT-21 possibly.

Who has sub-$100, sand-capable, front tires that last 10K miles or more?

I might have to find a 2nd front rim. A front wheel swap could be like 10 minutes, to go from bombing slab to playing on trails, or vice versa.

In the meantime, I've got some goodies to install...magnetic drainplug, red/white dual-LED bolt-lights for rear markers and plate illumination, fender brace, fender pack, replacement expanders for my handguard bolts, and a neat kit to add red marker/brake LEDs to my amber rear signals. My back end is going to be LIT.

Kommando screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 08:49 PM
Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #53
Sandspit
Adventurer

Great tips Mark, one more is knobbies, the more aggressive the better.
D606s front and back are my choice but they Hum loud, real loud on the pavement but amazing in the sand, I do not air them down and run street pressure in the dirt but I am lazy.
20 bucks for the tire was a great deal should last for a few a while.
Kommando and Scubadown, I'll be down for a ride this weekend, if you have never been to Space Coast Credit Union that is a great place to start, In Melbourne, semi-legal well known spot.
Waiting on UPS, parts should be delivered today.
Google the Credit Union, switch to map view and checkout the land/trails behind, Again, this is not a secret trail its been around for decades, It is OK to mention it on the net. Not too many people go there anymore, it seems once they closed the Compound the off-road MX and dual sports population dissapeared.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #54
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Well, tomorrow is Saturday again. My tentative plan is as follows:

I'm riding south and west this weekend, if I can get a bunch of stuff done on the DR after work today. I'll be stopping by the Harbor City Diner, at 1630 S. Wickham in Melbourne (just north of New Haven-192), around 0700-0800 for breakfast, if anyone wants to meet up. From there I plan to ride down to Malabar Rd. to explore trails around there for a bit. If I'm still feeling peppy after that, I may ride out 192W to Bull Creek WMA, and ride the area as well as some of the dirt roads near there. The WMA is mostly hardpack, for those with an aversion to the soft sand that is common by Malabar Rd., and there is a lake as well as a cemetery there (with graves dating back to Civil War times). There is a bit of sand and doubletrack in the WMA too, but it is either easy enough to avoid, or not very difficult for even street-biased tires.

BTW, the sand I encountered by Malabar Rd. is not endless. Some patches can be a bit long, but a determined rider can get a street-tired bike through most of it, if you're willing to give it a try. Keep in mind, if you ride with others and try the harder sections without using a bypass, one of us "might" be willing to help pick up you and your bike to dust you off when you eat it.

Might. We also "might" be laughing too hard to be of much assistance.

Kommando screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 11:11 AM
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #55
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Ugh, 0700 is early man, especially considering the almost hour ride i'de have to get there from cape canaveral. I'de like to join you. Any chance you'de push breakfast back an hour?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #56
scubadown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Kommando, Putzy, Sandspit, Mark1305, and Flwindsurf, would love to ride with you guys tomorrow but yesterday evening I had a fall riding a trail on north Merritt Island and banged up my side. It was stupid, I was going too fast and the front wheel slid out. Several lessons have been learned and fortunately only at the cost of a sore rib cage. It is too sore to ride tomorrow but I might be up for something easy on Sunday. Have a great ride and let me know if someone is up for a easy Sunday ride.

Tom
scubadown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #57
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
Ugh, 0700 is early man, especially considering the almost hour ride i'de have to get there from cape canaveral. I'de like to join you. Any chance you'de push breakfast back an hour?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.
Should we save you some Cocoa Puffs?

I have trouble dragging my raggedy butt out of bed when I don't have to be at work too, but I figured some of the other guys are rarin' to go by the time the sun starts teasing. Temps are also usually cooler and pictures come out nice as the sun is climbing too.

We can run a little later. I don't mind relaxing with a nice cup of coffee after breakfast. If you don't catch us at the diner though, come on down to meet us south of Malabar Rd. and listen for the motos...or the manly screaming as I drop my bike. If you don't feel that you have time for breakfast at home, at the diner, or on the go, on-site catering and beverages can be sourced.

Seriously though, I'm pretty informal. If some of you don't catch us in sandy Malabar, there is always firmer Bull Creek WMA...unless somebody has other suggestions for trails or meeting up. 'Planned route from the diner to Malabar is out New Haven to US1, south to Malabar. 'Planned route to Bull Creek is Malabar west to Babcock north, to New Haven west. 'Plan is to stop at Sam's Club on New Haven for fuel before heading approx. 19-20 miles west to Crabgrass Rd., then south to Bull Creek WMA. Route in the WMA will be counter-clockwise around the loop, as viewed on a map, finishing with a shot up their Cemetery Rd. to the old cemetery there.

If any of you are sweating the fuel situation riding out by the WMA, I carry quite a bit and a siphon pump. There is also a fuel station just a little further west of Crabgrass Rd. on 192, by Holopaw Rd. You may want to bring hydration, unless you're into that "fainting from heatstroke" thing. If so, please let the rest of us know when the urge is striking. Some of us would like to get our cameras ready.

Kommando screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 05:13 PM
Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #58
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
Kommando, Putzy, Sandspit, Mark1305, and Flwindsurf, would love to ride with you guys tomorrow but yesterday evening I had a fall riding a trail on north Merritt Island and banged up my side. It was stupid, I was going too fast and the front wheel slid out. Several lessons have been learned and fortunately only at the cost of a sore rib cage. It is too sore to ride tomorrow but I might be up for something easy on Sunday. Have a great ride and let me know if someone is up for a easy Sunday ride.

Tom
From what I understand, cherry juice helps with muscle soreness. I don't know how it works for bruised ribs though. Feel betta'.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #59
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Putzy, I saw in the DR650 thread that you are still getting poor MPG. We can maybe take a look at your bike sometime tomorrow or Sunday. I just have dinner plans Saturday with some family members.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #60
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
i'm gonna try to get to the diner in time to eat. not sure how long I'll last tomorrow, as i still have not sorted out my seating arrangement on this bike. damn the DR stock seat sucks. just redid the cover and added a couple layers from an old yoga mat. hopefully that will help some.

see you guys tomorrow.
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote