User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Classic IZH P5 in Argentina

Hi friends!....this is my first Post here, I live in Monte Grande Argentina and I´m the proud owner of a brand new IZH Planeta 5 1994 2T

I like CCCP items not for collecting them but for daily use instead, this started many years ago when I was a child, my father bought me a russian bicycle and some MIR books.

When the time comes to buy a car I get a used Lada 2105 1992 and this is my only car until now, driving so basic and reliable machine make me fall in love with it and then I decided to get a russian motorcycle too but this is a very dificult task , I never seen one in the street here!

Using the net I realized that some brands where imported here in the 90´s mainly 125 and 200cc , some IZH 350cc and even Urals 650cc so I started to look for used ones without success (they were sold mainly for use in the farms, far away from Buenos Aires)

After some time of no luck, I discover an old advertisment of a seller of agricultural equipment 500 km far away and they have some IZH Planetas (solo and with sidecars) ,still inside their original wooden boxes!

A few moths later the big red bike arrive home in a truck and I started to get it in working order...after nearly 20 years some job have to be done.

Now I´m in the process of running-in at low RPM and I ride it about 600 km.

This kind of motorcycle is extremely rare in occident and the technical information is very rare too.

Internet is big help despite the fact that most of the sites dedicated to them are russian, so I´m looking for users reviews and advice.

I know some german collectors are fond of this brand because is a developed copy of a famous WWII bike (DKW 350cc)....some collectors in America owns them too.

So....I ´m very happy to share this with you and I hope to make many new friends.

Greetings to you all....Alberto B.
Attached Images

KevlarIZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
FinestYearK
Rain, rain, go away

Oddometer: 40
That, sir, is a handsome bike. Looks reliable as heck.
1984 Suzuki GS550es - Leaving the nest...
Cage: Land Rover Discovery I - the last "real" Land Rover
FinestYearK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,599
Welcome Alberto .
Cool bike and you are just in time to enjoy the two stroke section here .

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Alberto , did they source the rims and front brake caliper from Yamaha for that model ?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

Thank you felows!

FinestYearK:

the bike is reliable .... I had small false contacts typical of russian electronics, with the experience of my car I was able to fix it with little effort.

On the other side I had to learnt some peculiarities....like how to use the piston descompressor

She has a temper but we are becoming friends

FR700:

back in the late 80`s the russian manufacturer IZHMASH, get some transfer of japanesse tecnology for neumatic/hidraulic fork, front disk brake, alloys wheels and carburator (MIKUNI = Pekar)

Are there any russian classic bike owners here in the forum?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevlarIZH View Post
Thank you felows!

FR700:

back in the late 80`s the russian manufacturer IZHMASH, get some transfer of japanesse tecnology for neumatic/hidraulic fork, front disk brake, alloys wheels and carburator (MIKUNI = Pekar)
Ahhh ... so does that make it a MIZHMASH of parts ? .
Thank you for answering .

Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Ahhh ... so does that make it a MIZHMASH of parts ? .
Thank you for answering .

Very funny!! ( I have to consult my dictionary to catch it )
Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Beautiful. Brand new 1994 bike!
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

How I get here....

Is funny how I discover this excelent site: a few weeks ago looking for videos in the net and know about Ewan´s travel around the world,in one episode the cammeraman Von Planta broke his BMW GS in Mongolia and he was in bad need of a replacement so they got to a local market and bought an............ IZH bike !!

Is very exciting to hear my very familiar 2T DENG DENG engine sound in this episode

This particular bike is the original design, dirt model ( 7.107L-010), made for very harsh terrain and shares 90% components with mine, highway model (7.107-015).

Russian people need this kind of vehicles because the extreme nature of weather and terrain.

Mine has better performance and safety in the highway (neumatic fork, front disk brake) but keeps the dirt spirit.

Watching this series made me want to know more about this crazy people that makes very long rides,knowing different people, places and cultures.............. reading this site make me realise that there are many many people doing this!!
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Nice armageddon bike!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunow - 007 View Post
Nice armageddon bike!
Hi Friend !

I think THIS would be much better .....more fuel efficient
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

My adventure...

Both in my car and the bike I love the practical design, devoid of ornaments so common in modern products.
Not have a great performance but I travel from point A to B (most of the times ... ) with undeniable style!

I know of some Planets and Jupiters in Nort America imported by individuals, the thing here in Latin America was different, in the 90´s there was a huge disparity between our currency and russian rubles, making it very convenient to import large amounts of cars, trucks, tractors and motorcycles ..... selling prices very cheap.

The problem is that in the eyes of the buyers seemed of old products with outdated technology, even today people think that machines are not reliable.

The truth is that there was much lack of information on how to use and maintain, the language barrier is great .... many people thought they did not need maintenance, they did not need oil, and being so tough they were mistreated.

Also many people do not bother to patent it and in recent years the state is very strong on these issues ... all these elements have made practically no see ... I never saw one in the street ... apart from the own!

My next steps are to fix a few minor mechanical problems that prevent me from riding for more than 100-150km and solved them, take travel greater distances to reach the break-in (2500 km).

This bike design incorporates certain safeguards to prevent the user from damaging the engine during this period, having reached the break-in, these elements can be removed to enjoy the full power of the motorcycle.

Looking for my bike, find it so far away, buy it, bring home in a truck, make it work properly, make it street legal and now ride it is a great adventure!
Attached Images

KevlarIZH screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 08:13 PM
Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,390

Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,449
Como que no es legal en la calle?

No tiene luz de giro.

No me digas que los pata negra te persiguen en la moto Rusa por Monte Grande!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post

LawnDart , so patriotic photo!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
KevlarIZH OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
Como que no es legal en la calle?

No tiene luz de giro.

No me digas que los pata negra te persiguen en la moto Rusa por Monte Grande!

Argentino :

JAJAJAJAJA ...........Mucho gusto Pollo!....que loco encontarte aca!....hay muchos hispano-escribientes en el foro?

Para que sea street legal solo necesite agregar el espejo derecho ( y me lo pidio el seguro)

Lo que si fue un gran quilombo fue convencer a la municipalidad que la moto era Okm del año 94...no me la querian patentar a pesar de tener todos los papeles....despues si me la patentaban pero tenia que pagar la patente acumulada de toooodooos esos años que la moto no rodó.....finalmente me la patentaron como 1994 y no tuve que pagar el acumulado.

Eso no me molesta ya que cuando la quiera vender igual me van a dar dos mangos, es una moto muy rara.

Vos sabes que hay muchos fierros buenos que no pueden circular por ester "flojitos de papeles"

Lo que si me calienta es que no encuentro aca en Argentina un seguro que me la asegure contra robo.

English traslation:

Hi Pollo ........... JAJAJAJAJA !.... Glad to meet you here !.... are there many Spanish-scribes in the forum?

To be street legal I only need to add the right mirror (and it was an insurance regulation)

What it was a great problem was to convince the municipality that the bike was new but from the year 94 ... initially they denied to do despite having all the papers .... after that they do but only if I had to pay the accumulated charges for all these years that the bike did not roll ..... eventually patented as 1994 and did not pay the accrued.

That does not bother me because when I want to sell just going to give me two cents, is a very rare bike.

What make me really mad is not find here in Argentina a company to insure the bike against theft.