User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Skyshadow OP
Tree hugger

Oddometer: 234
DIY G/S seat

I have been trying to find a seat for my G/S for a while now and a minor discussion started up in the FM. While it is fun to aggravate all the obsessive compulsive types that are rule nazis I do recognise that a true discussion should be contained down here.

Because I have not had any luck finding a seat I have been considering building one out of fiberglass. Others like one fellow in the FM section as well as the Frasier guy have used standard universal seats. and bolted the rack to them.

So I was wondering if anyone has done this. Has anyone made a seat or bought a Harley/Honda/Yamaha,Kymoto seat, bolted the rack and tongue on it then dropped it on their G/S?

this may be a good alternative to the reported uncomfortable solo seats that cost a near fortune.

-a sip of Islay Scotch will bring me home if I am on the other side of the world.-
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,198
The rack bolted to the seat is a stupid configuration. You can't load it much as the load will be bouncing up and down wearing out the seat latch. Also, you have to unload the rack to take the seat off which is an extra inconvenience. The later GSPD rack and solo seat setup is much more functional for these reasons. If you're going to the trouble of building something custom, I'd try to mimic the later setup rather than the G/S PD setup.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
The rack bolted to the seat is a stupid configuration. You can't load it much as the load will be bouncing up and down wearing out the seat latch. Also, you have to unload the rack to take the seat off which is an extra inconvenience. The later GSPD rack and solo seat setup is much more functional for these reasons. If you're going to the trouble of building something custom, I'd try to mimic the later setup rather than the G/S PD setup.
Then you're missing the 2 solo seat brackets that support the rack. The plastic lock will always break if don't have them installed.

Since they're NLA from BMW, I had 20 sets made up..the holes are offset and the correct nuts are welded on the bottom..and powder coated.

But yes, you still have to unload the seat to remove it..But for a solo seat on the G/S or ST, itk gives you a stable seating platform.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post
Then you're missing the 2 solo seat brackets that support the rack. The plastic lock will always break if don't have them installed.
Those tiny little supports are a joke. Yes, they support the static load of whatever you put on the rack when at a standstill, but if you're doing anything other than parking the bike that load will bounce up and down. When it bounces up, the seat latch takes all the load.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,323
I think I had my bike one month before the seat latch broke. And I"ve broken multiple sets of angle irons and I rarely put anything on the seat rack....that's just from riding rough roads and the weight of the seat!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
GrahamM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
For the solo configuration I removed the latch and use just the brackets. My dual Corbin on the GS has broken a latch when standing, on forest access roads... They are not too strong:(

Based on AW thoughts I think when I am Loaded with a 5.5l auxiliary tank and some spares I will strap the rack/seat combo to the frame with some nylon straps to ensure it does not bounce upwards when standing...

'10 Husaberg FE450
'81 R80G/S
'91 R100GS, bumble bee
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Skyshadow OP
Tree hugger

is the G/s frame the same width as the GS frame? I have a GS rear rack that I may be able to jury rig to operate like a GS on the g/s

-a sip of Islay Scotch will bring me home if I am on the other side of the world.-
Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
is the G/s frame the same width as the GS frame?
Nope. GS is wider.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
GrahamM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Nope. GS is wider.
And more weight...

'10 Husaberg FE450
'81 R80G/S
'91 R100GS, bumble bee
Old 03-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamM View Post
And more weight...
The wall thickness of the tubing on the GS subframes is MUCH thicker. That's weight worth carrying in my opinion.

...they still break though when you carry old rattly jesse luggage knocking and rattling your way down dirt roads:

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 08:44 PM
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
is the G/s frame the same width as the GS frame?
The four points where it attaches to the frame are the same, but everything else is different, because the G/S seat and fender are different from the GS.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
Skyshadow OP
Tree hugger

....but I have a GS frame and it is not exactly the same by a few mm, it is too long so it makes the bike queer looking, I have found that any added weight on these bikes kills the fun of them.

I went that route with the tank, seat and frame and found it a major downside.....an expensive mistake. You don't see the r100gs subframe on HPNs website.....reason for that

May find a way of simply mounting a single seat and nothing in the back.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
GrahamM
Gnarly Adventurer

if I had the euros I would go with a Gletter subframe, fender, seat and muffler... sooooo sweet and practical.

I will see how explorations pan out this coming season and decide how far I go next, as well considering I am now working on converting a ktm 530 to a 570 a real rally beast may develop.... then the hard choices: which to ride on any sunday?

'10 Husaberg FE450
'81 R80G/S
'91 R100GS, bumble bee
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoje View Post
The four points where it attaches to the frame are the same, but everything else is different, because the G/S seat and fender are different from the GS.
Nope different...the length of the top left and angle of the mounting point
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post
Nope different...the length of the top left and angle of the mounting point
??

Mounted up just fine on my frame. The lower right mount had to be sucked in about 1/8" by the bolt, but other than that it fit like a glove.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 12:07 PM