Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #46
lostinthemarket
lurker

Oddometer: 36
I don't mean to hijack but a thought occurred to my while reading through the thread.

I was told that an R27 is "one half of an r50". To me that means that the cylinder and head are the same or similar.

Could one swap out the cylinder and head from an r60 onto the single block and end up with essentially an r30?
lostinthemarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #47
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,293
Great thread, thanks for sharing....I've heard rumors about this particular beautiful R27 in the So. Cal. Airheads circle...nice to see it coming along so nicely.
I passed up an R27 years ago for $800.00. It had a few mix matched parts (Bultaco Speedo, odd muffler etc) but was basically whole. Damn...20 /20 hind site....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #48
Renner OP
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthemarket View Post
I don't mean to hijack but a thought occurred to my while reading through the thread.

I was told that an R27 is "one half of an r50". To me that means that the cylinder and head are the same or similar.

Could one swap out the cylinder and head from an r60 onto the single block and end up with essentially an r30?
I haven't looked into that but am inclined to say, not without some significant changes to the pushrod tubes and oil passages.

OTOH there was a race-prepared R27 up for sale in central California about six or eight years ago (yes it was tempting) which if I remember correctly had been campaigned by Kari Prager and had been modified into something one could call an R30.

I may have some pics and perhaps correspondence as well, will try to post more about that bike soon.
Anyone here know about this bike? wirewrkr?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #49
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
I haven't looked into that but am inclined to say, not without some significant changes to the pushrod tubes and oil passages.

OTOH there was a race-prepared R27 up for sale in central California about six or eight years ago (yes it was tempting) which if I remember correctly had been campaigned by Kari Prager and had been modified into something one could call an R30.

I may have some pics and perhaps correspondence as well, will try to post more about that bike soon.
Anyone here know about this bike? wirewrkr?
More than likely it used the top end from an Izetta, which was a 300cc version of the same engine.
Don't really know though.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #50
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
More than likely it used the top end from an Izetta, which was a 300cc version of the same engine.
Don't really know though.
Interesting.....I forgot about the poor old Izetta's.....always wondered what engine they used.

Almost bought me a Messerschmidt K200(?) back in the 80's just because I had no idea what it was. It was the strangest, ugliest thing I had ever laid eyes on...Had a 200cc Sachs 2 stroke engine if I remember right....but for $500.00? no way.....duh...look what they're worth now....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #51
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
This is, I believe, an R26... they are just an awesome little bike...

....R30? hmmmmmmm.... I think that might be this one:

Old 02-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #52
Renner OP
infamous wrench

This is the bike that I mentioned earlier as being up for sale maybe eight years ago.
I traded email with the seller at the time. IIRC he said Kari Prager used to race this bike.

I wrote to Kari and he responded, happy to have news of it and gave a few details.
(Sadly, my computer crashed not long after and I've lost that correspondence).
As I recall there was some interesting work done to get it up to 300cc.
The owner at the time had been working to make the bike street legal.

You can believe I was sorely tempted. Then I heard of my current project which was available locally.

I believe it's still in central California (Paso Robles?).
No idea who owns the bike at this time.

I've recently learned that gears from the twin /2s can be installed in this gearbox for a change of pace, but imagine that's quite expensive.

edit:
posted here: http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102609&page=4
Duane Ausherman wrote, "The /2 was famous for needed frequent valve adjustments. The /5 had solved that problem with long studs that held the cylinder, head and valve gear to the case. Kari was racing a R27 250 cc bike. He gutted the case and had it welded up to take the long studs. Then he machined a R69S cylinder to slide down the studs. He then had a stable top end and a 50 cc increase".

Renner screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 07:01 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #53
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post

This is, I believe, an R26... they are just an awesome little bike...
Close Bob, but no cigar.
The R26 had an Earles fork, like the R27
This beauty is one of the last of the R25/3 bikes, one of my personal faves.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #54
Renner OP
infamous wrench

thanks wirewrkr. I was going to have to do some digging to get the right model designator.

exceptional styling of that era BMWs... particularly the gas tanks, IMO.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #55
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
Two decent books of captioned photos of various BMW motorcycles nback to the 'teens that I have are

Kindle e-Book:

The Art of BMW: 85 Years of Motorcycling Excellence
Peter Gantriis

real book:

BMW Motorcycles
Kevin Ash

the e-Book is a write-up of someone's motorcycle collection. My first motobike e-Book, I just got a Kindle to wile away the hours recovering from a carpal tunnel slice-and-dice. The physical book I got on a biz trip to Denver about 10 years ago.

I note that Amazon has many motorcycle-related e-books listed, and the prices are reasonable, too. The photos are sharp on the reader, I don't know what their printable-dpi-resolution is.

This is a great project, Renner. I'm happy as a clam maintaining my /5, and probably will continue to be for the next 20-30 years.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #56
Renner OP
infamous wrench

Thanks Bill, I enjoy working on it when possible.

Some roundels came with the bike. I imagine the center two are the original pair.
The pair to the right are better suited for a /5 due to the sans serif lettering.

The left pair show no maker's mark. I assume they're made in China.
They're too convex, the distance between holes is wrong, wrong shade of blue and the cloisonné splinters if you stare at it hard.
They may be suitable for day to day use. I've seen some wonderful examples of Chinese cloisonné...

Time to try out the knee pads. I have all I need.

note Kneepad under the handy HF IR reader. After Mike V. showed me his, I had to get one.

I'll not post pics of me struggling with tank and pad in my no-mar pajamas.
Actually it went pretty well all three times. Problem is the pad doesn't quite clear the pinstripe

The rubber lip that slips under the flange measures .09" and I happen to have a toothpick also .09 so I checked clearance all around and there seems to be enough. Also the distance from the bottom of the tank/flange groove to the pinstripe looks uniform across the bottom...

could be a build-up of paint on the outside edge of the flange, or something going on with the kneepad at that lower front radius.
The supplier sent two right kneepads so I'll try the other and take a closer look another day, hopefully tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #57
Renner OP
infamous wrench

pinstripes

Turns out the low side of the pinstripe is too high, also not parallel to the lower edge of the kneepad flange.

Shown here in comparison to a /2 tank which I think has original paint & pinstripes.

My first thought is, good that I'm not trying to build a concorse winner.

Second thought is, can I use the /2 tank?
Nope.

So now I wonder what it might take to set the stripes right.
Any educated guesses?

My gut tells me the answer is 1) get it running and 2) learn to live with it.
at least for a while...

This one looks pretty good.

Renner screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 07:22 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #58
motomacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Bummer

Bummer about the stripe job. Someone on the vintage forum said he had the striper redo his tank. I think he said his stripes were on top of the clear coat so the striper was able to remove them without disturbing the paint. It was under a post on a R69S rebuild.
'01 Duc 748, '05 Duc Multistrada 1000SDS,'06 BMW R1200GS, '12 HD FLSTN
motomacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #59
Renner OP
infamous wrench

Good point Night Rider. I was wondering about that this morning.
If in fact the tank is powdercoated then it may be fairly easy to remove the stripes without disturbing the underlying polymer.

care to share pics of your R27 here?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #60
motomacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Look familiar?

Another R27 project.
http://motomacs.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...1148738_7rZ6kc
'01 Duc 748, '05 Duc Multistrada 1000SDS,'06 BMW R1200GS, '12 HD FLSTN

motomacs screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 08:28 AM Reason: photo
motomacs is offline   Reply With Quote