Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #76
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Very exciting to see progress on this bike again:)
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #77
Renner OP
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,928
re-gearing

last weekend I was very fotunate to find a spare /2 transmission at a reasonable price.
It was stamped S for solo at the vent bolt/speedo drive so... unless the PO changed the gear ratios to /2 sidecar specs (which are the same as R27 solo gears)... it appears I have what may be an upgrade to my R27 transmission gearing.

This afternoon I opened the gearbox and found everything looking pretty-much as it should.

apologies for the crappy pic but the teeth look ok and tomorrow evening I hope to have the gears out for closer inspection.

there's another element to this purchase here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922037
Old 09-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #78
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 748
Looks like the previous mechanic really liked blue silicone seal! Just a tad excessive.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #79
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Looks like the previous mechanic really liked blue silicone seal! Just a tad excessive.
As far as I'm concerned, any amount is excessive. I've never had a problem installing that gasket dry but I've seen plenty of engine problems with sealer plugging oil jets/passages. Luckily that doesn't apply here.
If you really want to use sealant I'd suggest Three Bond, aka Yama Bond/Honda Bond. Applied sparingly.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #80
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,196
Last week in Ohio

danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #81
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
This makes me wish I could have brought my R25/3 with me from Germany way back when, oh well.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #82
Renner OP
combustophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Looks like the previous mechanic really liked blue silicone seal!
apparently the previous mechanic also liked his hammer.

good that this is a spare /2 transmission. If I needed the case I'd be considering lapping the door's beat gasket surface.

Gears out and no teeth missing. 4th shows some wear I don't like, but I'm inclined to go ahead with the gear swap.

Check out that keyway. Good that the shaft isn't needed.

Intermediate shaft front bearing appears to have spun in the case I'll look more closely at that tomorrow as well.

Tomorrow aftenoon I may be picking up a decent press on long-term loan from a friend.
I should have these gears clean by then and hopefully can share some pics of the worn gear teeth.

Thanks for that pic Danedg. I believe Ohio is a hot-bed of vintage BMW motorrad action, along with the Northeast in general.
My go-to guy for this project lives in Wayne, OH.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #83
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
horsepower

I saw while reading the posts, 13hp was mentioned, that is for a R-25/3 the R-27 is 17hp, not a bad ride. Several of us Ohio guys rode our vintage bikes to the Lima Oh BMW national rally, Kevin led with his 54 R-25/3 and camping gear. 45mph was our speed, I rode my 68 R60 with hollendia sidecar (with 900cc motor) It was a fun day ride. We are going to do the Skyline drive on our old singles, as I have a 25/3 also. We may even break the speed limit.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #84
Renner OP
combustophile

well, shoot...

...and I was counting on 18 hp (13 kW) @ 7400 rpm listed in some specs. (got to really wind it up for that!).

Slammy in Wayne suggested I shave the cylinder 1mm, which has been done, so maybe we'll see an honest 18hp...

but seriously, wish I had this one together already and could join you-all out there for a good putt.
Also I'm very interested in your conversion as I've been collecting parts for something similar.

Renner screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 01:01 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #85
Renner OP
combustophile

a favorite of mine

Witness the R27 going uphill!

spoiler: awesome pass ~5:10

kudos to dappsull
Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #86
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,196
Slammer in the Saddle

danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #87
Renner OP
combustophile

^^^

thanks, man

I've been assembling gearshafts, might even get them in the case tomorrow.
Slams' has been helpful with encouragement & insight whenever I've asked, this gearbox being one example.

Renner screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 08:02 PM
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #88
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
Conversion

Renner, I don't want to steal your thunder with the single. (can a single have thunder) but you asked. My conversion is a 68 R60 frame with Hollendia sidecar. Motor is R-75 with 900cc jugs 750 heads and 4 speed box, /2 solo final drive. The rig does fine with this setup, will do 80+ mph. usually ride at about 60mph Have 54k on it and only problem so far I wore out the drive spline - I have a few spare rear ends so have not thought of converting to a late model rear end. Let me know if you need more info.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #89
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
spoiler: awesome pass ~5:10
Old 09-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #90
Renner OP
combustophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
...don't want to steal your thunder .... My conversion is a 68 R60 frame with Hollendia sidecar. ... Let me know if you need more info.
no thunder stolen, ISDT. I appreciate your input, it helps maintain momentum. I'll be asking questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmontanero
... ...

ok so: yesterday I visited my friend John of the recent slinger service and took his 12 ton stand-up press home to my garage for a long-term visit.

during the visit (IIRC) he mentioned seeing Ed Youngblood riding an R27 competitively back when they were available new.

Once home I put the press to good use, assembling the intermediate and input shafts. This afternoon I put the output shaft together.
These are the /2 solo gears.
Good that I'm going through this box before use as the snap ring which retains gears 2 & 3 was missing from the previous assembly.

ain't they pretty

at this point I'm waiting on parts ordered last Thursday from Bench Mark Works, but I can practice adjusting the shift forks using the otherwise damaged selector pivot bolts.

This shows the mirror at bottom, reflecting the centered shift fork/coupling disc.
The two hexes in line with the output bore are the ends of the eccentric pivot bushings introduced with the /5, which are retrofit-able and make shift fork adjustments much easier. They were in the R27 box when I opened it.

Renner screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 05:58 PM