User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
MightyChosen1 OP
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,301
Xs-650/Velorex build

Since the weather was pretty lousy out today I finally got some time out in the garage to start on this project:

I have had the car for a couple years attached to a Suzuki GS-850 but The old GS finally passed away so I found this decent old XS. Its cosmetically challenged but runs good. I dont really care about shiny chrome anyway, Its going to live outside most of the time anyway.

For now I am going to use the stock Velorex clamps. Yep , I know they suck but the subframe I started to build would not clear the factory exhaust. I will be changing the exhaust some time in the future. Would like to have a 2-1 that exits the left side but everything I see comes out the right.

Anyway I am having a little problem getting the front mount to line up. Right now I have about 10" of lead and the car is level but the only way I could get it to align was to move the car forward a couple inches.

Right now I can think of a couple options. First , fab up a bracket that bolts to the brace directly above the clamp. Or second cut the velorex mount down 3/4" and reweld it.

Any better ideas?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
Make a proper side frame that mimics the down tube and cradle of the stock bike frame and weld the eyes to that tube and pic up on all the motor bolts on the way past them on tabs. then you wont have the frame crusher clamps and you can make it line up where ever you weld the tabs on for the Velorex mounts to go to. Same goes for the lower rear and tying it in to the upper rear so you don't stress the frame in any one point. lots of little bolts are better than one big one! Get your numbers right before you clamp it up and see where the mounts WANT to be, then work from there.
-Brock Smith
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
MightyChosen1 OP
I wanna be sedated

Thats pretty much what my subframe would have consisted of, The big problem was the exhaust pipe ( its removed in the pic ) ran right where the exhaust goes. I could of dropped it down but that would pretty much kill all ground clearance.

I will build a subframe once I figure out the exhaust but for right now I just want to get it bolted together and take it for a few test rides around the neighborhood to work any mechanical bugs out of the bike.

There is lots more to be done to the bike before I would call it done. I will upgrade the suspension and I would like to swap out the velorex wheel/axle for a heavier-duty XS wheel .

Maybe next season I will build a proper leading link front end.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 178
FURIOUS D,

Keep posting on this build. I have a Velorex and a couple XS650's that I might be mounting it to. I originally intended on mounting it to a XS400 but am having a problem with getting proper paper work for that tug.

I do have a Cal. Companion mounted to an XS650 but the frame on that is much different so I don't think any ideas from that would help you with your build.

There is a very active XS650 group at :

http://micapeak.com/mailman/listinfo/yam650

There are a few sidecar people over there too.
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
RFLIVES
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
You have seen "my" solution. I would figure out your exhaust first then move on to the subframe. To do it correctly you have to get that pipe out of the way. Let me know when you are ready to do your swingarm I'll loan you the correct size dreming bit for the xs650 rear axle swap.
RFLIVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Have you tried Omar's? he has a wide selection of spares and alternative parts for XS650's. I will try to find a link for you.

Here you are http://omarsdtr.com/

Billtr96sn screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 04:43 AM Reason: added link
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
MightyChosen1 OP
I wanna be sedated

A little progress made yesterday but I found somthing I just dont care for:

I really dont like how far forward the rear lower mount is so I think I will fab up a bracket to bolt it to the area where the footpeg mounts ( The 2 Chrome acorn nuts). The geometry on the car is pretty close. I could probably just tighten everything up , Bolt the exhaust on and take it for a ride but I want to address this first.

I will probably go with exhaust from GordonScott but right now I am on a budget so I will have to make due with what I have. Once I sell a couple bikes I will start buying some goodies for it.

First thing I need to address once I get this mess rolling is the suspension. when I lowered the car from the jack the bike dropped at least 2 1/2 inches. Heavier springs in the front with spacers and some different rear shocks will be needed. I was thinking of upgrading the rear shocks on my Scrambler anyway so I might see if the old ones will work on the XS.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
rbjenterprises
Just wandering in SW VA

Oddometer: 36
What ever happened to your build?
Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
MightyChosen1 OP
I wanna be sedated

Its been done for quite a while. I have put probably 3000 miles on it.

Despite what the crowd will tell you the XS is really a capable sidecar tug as long as you dont want to go too fast. It will run 65 on flat ground but add a bit of wind and you are down to 55 tops.

I did paint it this year and add a Shinko 705 on the front. After this season I plan to separate the two and find a different bike for a tug. Not getting rid of the XS though, I rode it solo for a month this spring and had a ball trail riding with it .

Latest pic:

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
rbjenterprises
Just wandering in SW VA

Can you post some pictures of how you connected your hack? I am hoping to add one to my xs650 this winter.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
exhaust

The local fab/chopper shop will make your pipes into a left side two-into-one, so that it will clear all the mounts and keep the noise out of the passenger's ear.
Use the stock L/H pipe and connect the other pipe to it.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
MightyChosen1 OP
I wanna be sedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjenterprises View Post
Can you post some pictures of how you connected your hack? I am hoping to add one to my xs650 this winter.

Sent you some pics Via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mule View Post
The local fab/chopper shop will make your pipes into a left side two-into-one, so that it will clear all the mounts and keep the noise out of the passenger's ear.
Use the stock L/H pipe and connect the other pipe to it.
I was thinking of having Scott Engineering build me something or make something myself but since this is an el-cheapo project ,( around $1500 in the whole outfit), I have not yet done anything yet.

It does see its fair share of mud/ dirt roads but I have been easier on it this season. Last years off road adventures nearly shook the Velorex to death.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
rbjenterprises
Just wandering in SW VA

Thanks for the pics. Now all I need to add is $.