Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Oddometer: 45
What can it be? R1200GS mixture problem

Please help to indentify the problem.

3 weeks ago out of the blue engine started to work poorly.

1. Decrease in power
2. When full throttle rpms don't increase instantly, instead there is very slow response especially on higher speed/rpms
3. Gas consumption raised - instead of 38 mpg now only 33

looks like the mixture is not perfect and the engine is running rich

With a mechanic checked sparkplugs, injector, airfilter, fuel pump. Kinda desperate to find the solution myself

PS the bike is R1200GS 2011 triple black
Veter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
lewisjr1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
My guess is actually a spark issue. I suspect a primary coil on one side is failing intermittently.
lewisjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Veter OP
Motoviajero

that is the first thing we thought too, but checked everything, spark is not the issue here or at least so the mechanic says :)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
the magic button

Have your dealer or use a GS911 to reset the adaptations of the bike.

The motronics unit 'learns' your bike's specific parameters. I've encountered some rather un-german wonkey behavior before that's been fixed with the magic button.

Give it a go.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
How many miles? Have you checked the valves lately?

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Nothing of the above mentioned has solved the issue. Checked valve clearances 5k ago, ~30000 now, will give it a try tomorrow, however don't think that it is it. Increase in gas consumption is terrible - used to do 38mpg, now only 32 and keeps dropping

The thing is I am in Santiago, Chile now and the dealer here seems unable to indentify the problem

Veter screwed with this post 05-23-2014 at 01:58 PM
Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Steiney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Any recent wrecks/drops?How about a failing O2 sensor on one side? That'll mess with the mixture. With a GS911 you can check the lambda & voltage readings. I would think a code would pop up too. Best of luck, keep us posted...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Update. Got it checked at another official dealers, now in Argentina. No fault codes, checked everything, decided to change the splugs. Initially after the change the engine seemed to react better, in a couple of miles same story. Consumption 26 mpg consistently.

I do not know what to think. Can it be the problem with the corroded wiring?

Ps very tired of that bike with all the troubles I had in my journey. Disadvise everyone to buy it for the long trips
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #9
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Sounds like a load of bad fuel, to me. Have you checked the fuel filter/s? Clogged fuel system?

Never take your bike someplace your head hasn't already been.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,996
Had most of the same symptoms happen to mine, faulty TPS. Check values with GS-911. Mine was showing 70% fueling at throttle rest.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veter View Post
Please help to indentify the problem.

3 weeks ago out of the blue engine started to work poorly.

1. Decrease in power
2. When full throttle rpms don't increase instantly, instead there is very slow response especially on higher speed/rpms
3. Gas consumption raised - instead of 38 mpg now only 33

looks like the mixture is not perfect and the engine is running rich

With a mechanic checked sparkplugs, injector, airfilter, fuel pump. Kinda desperate to find the solution myself

PS the bike is R1200GS 2011 triple black
I saw that you've been to a dealer a second time and gotten no further.

Most of the time, your engine control computer (BMSK) is using the O2 sensors in the exhaust below the cylinder heads to set the mixture. When it uses those, your fuel mileage should be pretty consistent and normal. Do you have any fueling add-ons to your bike (Powercommander, boosterplug, techlusion) or has anyone disconnected your O2 sensors?

If your bike is stock, and there are no error codes, and your dealer has checked fuel pressure, it sounds like your bike isn't combusting the mixture well (coils?). When you ride down the highway at 55 mph (90 kph) what does the fuel consumption display indicate?
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Roger, is there a way to check O2 sensors? The dealer said that they got the sensors checked but I believe that their opinion is based on computer diagnostics which didn't reveal any fault codes. They rely too much on computers that are prone to mistakes as everyone else

I had boosterplug installed before but disconnected it first thing when the symptoms started to show up

At 55 mph it displays 30,5 mpg stable. The average is 26 now.

Coma, I do not think it is the fuel filter - the spark plugs were black, imo it means that the engine burns too much fuel, not too little. But I will get it check as well, thanks.

Cogswell, I will check the TPS as well, thanks for the tip. My intuition tells me that the solution should be very easy like TPS

The strangest thing is that after we have changed the spark plugs the bike ran good for 5 miles or so...
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,056
You can check the O2 sensors with a voltmeter. While the O2 sensor is plugged in, and the bike is warmed up and idling, put a voltmeter between the black wire and the gray wire. If the reading is steadily above 600 mV the mixture is rich. If the reading is steadily below 300 mV the mixture is lean. If you get a mix of varying readings, some of which are above 600 mV and some of which are below 300 mV the O2 sensor is probably working.

On the R1200, if even one sensor is working, the BMSK does a good job of figuring out the mixture for both sides.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
Sniperx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282

Computer Reset

I've reset a couple computers this way....if they have volatile memory...IE resets if the battery is unplugged for a long time.

Disconnect the battery completely and touch the two leads together. This will drain any capacitors and reset the memory.

However...if it uses more modern (expensive) memory like my custom VW EFI system does...loss of power won't reset it.

See what the pros say on this particular detail.

Is you air filter clogged?

With these modern systems and lack of mods...theres little to go wrong....its not like points are worn or the distributor is shorting or something...or your particular custom mod is working against you. So it comes down to a mechanical failure or an electronic one (duh). Fuel pressure too high, faulty O2 sensors, broken O2 sensor wires, unplugged sensors, failing TPS, TPS plug kicked off (I do this all the time on my 1150), bad spark, short or intermittent short when hot or flexed (listen for snapping or watch for blue sparks in the dark), small bird in the air box, etc.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Update 2.

1. The fuel consumption dropped to 17 mpg
2. I swapped the primary ignition coils and the bike started to run better for some time, consumption raised to 28 mpg
3. When I play with the ignition coils the result is changing - sometimes the bike runs better.
4. There is a good spark for all the splugs
5. The bike doesn't start with any of the secondary ignition coils taken out
6. Sometimes the engine starts when one of the primary ignition coils is out, sometimes it doesn't - the result is different
7. When the engine is running bad the wet white smoke is coming out of the exaust pipe

It seems to me that it is the ignition problem. But as the results are volatile it is hard to indentify the issue. The authorised bmw mechanics here are not capable of solving the problem

I haven't checked the o2 sensors as they don't have a voltimeter in any bmw service center in Paraguay :(