Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
ret46 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Is the R1200GS self canceling turn signal feature dangerous?

I wish this feature could be turned off as I am constantly entering intersections with the turn signals no longer signaling my intend to turn and other times they do not turn themselves off at all. I am going to get in an accident as someone will run into me when the the flashing self cancels and they do know I am turning or when the signals do not turn off and I am happily riding along with a flashing turn signal. I think BMW has the logic program wrong for this feature as it is not consistent and BMW might get sued when someone gets badly hurt because it does not work the same every time. I just want to control when the signals turn off just like I did with my other BMWs.

Does anyone know how to convert or remove the self canceling feature?

By the way I love this bike.

RET
ret46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
I don't know how to defeat it self-cancel feature but...

I think safety is more of a issue when you forget to cancel/turn off your signals. I've seen many a bike cruising down the road with a signal forgotten & left on. Think about another driver thinking that your going to turn when your not? I'd rather have my signal cancel a bit early then run the chance of leaving it on myself.

That said, I'm impressed with how well the self-cancelling feature works on the 12GS.

My .02 cents.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
the feature is consistent but I feel it is made more for highway use than city use. Remember the bike is designed as a long distance hauler, not a city bike. So in the city, I use the cancel button that is readily available but on the highway I use the self cancel set up which cancels much more quickly because of the increased speed/distance you travel over. You have the option to cancel the signals yourself on the bottom right hand side of the bars. You know that right? It's better than trying to circumvent the system that is in place.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP

Oddometer: 151
Thumbs down

Yes! they are dangerous, in particular when accelerating after taking a corner, you have the throttle twisted open, your wrist is in such a position that it is awkward to get your thumb onto the cancel button without partially releasing pressure on the twisted throttle. I have on several occasions experienced this, come around a corner, and as there is another side road approaching and you don't want to create the impression you are going to turn you are forced to manually cancel the indicator, or you want to change lanes, this action results in some very tricky and potentially dangerous action with the throttle. Or the risk of a motorist pulling out in front of you. Either way, it is dangerous! The solution would be to have a single indicator switch or at least the cancel switch on the left side, or possibly a clever means that cancels the indicator immidiately after turning.

I also don't like the position of the hooter switch, I keep flashing my left indicator at motorists that jump lanes in front of me.

Kevin
Cape Town
R1200GS
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
I've never had the issues you have with your turn signals. In the city, as SQD8R said, I use the cancel feature. On the highway, i let them turn off on their own.

I used to have the same thing happen to me with the horn button. I'd hit the turn signal instead. But after repeated practice, practice, and more practice, it's now second nature. I had occasion recently in a shopping mall parking lot to hit the horn and pull on the brakes at the same time. My problem is when I ride my Jap bike, i'm always trying to hit the right turn signal button or the signal cancel button on the right grip, which don't exist.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,125
No probs w/mine. They seem to cancel at .1 mile for low speed, and .2 for high speed.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
Loki1200
Turd Ferguson

Oddometer: 284
I love this feature and think it's well thought out. I've noticed it'll stay on forever if I hit the signal button while sitting at an intersection, but only for about 10 seconds at 60-70 mph.
Loki1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
I think some of you guys need to practice using your turn signals more, and stop being so lazy expecting the bike to do it all for you!

Jim
Loving my Signal Minder with brake light feature!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
Loki1200
Turd Ferguson

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I think some of you guys need to practice using your turn signals more, and stop being so lazy expecting the bike to do it all for you!

Jim
Loving my Signal Minder with brake light feature!
It was all down hill for me after using the heated grips for the first time. I'm still waiting for the bike to add oil on it's own...
Loki1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Can someone explain how the self cancelling feature works?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #11
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,125
Distance/speed dependant. See earlier post
Old 06-28-2005, 09:48 AM   #12
ret46 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I must begin to signal for intersections way before most people as I find almost at every turn the signal stops flashing before I get through the turn or light. I usually am concentrating on traffic coming toward me and therefore not on the flashing and scare myself when I look down and realize the turn signal had stopped before I turned. I am very used to turning off the signal myself from previous BMWs and want that control back.

Does anyone know the exact algorithm as my certainly does not always turn off after 12 flashes and it often happily flashes away mile after mile once a turn has been completed?

I get the feeling from the comments that it must be just me.

RET
ret46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
I'm with him (the *dumb* guy)

You FFs must be pulling our legs. Is there really a self cancelling turn signal setup on the 12GS? I thought I read the manual pretty well and I never noticed anything about self cancelling turn signals.

Alls I know is that I've been doing it the old fashioned way. Push to turn on. Honk the horn to turn it off.

- does it really exist?
- is it turn offable/onable

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
better read it again Sam. There's self-cancelling signals. Also guys I don't think it is any more dangerous than the old style of turn signals. Whichever situation you are going into you'll have to reach and turn them off, whether Japanese style or BMW style indicators.

Next you'll want the bikes to come with self adjusting suspension, self adjusting FI and ABS/servo brakes and oops...
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
CASTIRON
Solid, heavy, lo-tech.

Oddometer: 661
No Sh!t?
I've always been DIY with the cancelling and wondered more than a few times 'WTF? I know I hit the button a few seconds ago'!

Yet another "new" feature to play with.