Shoot it.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #137
TrollGSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
The heater needs to remain plugged in and the resistance needs to equal precisely full take before the bike is switched on. any other resistance and it will post a code
The heater was plugged in. Maybe I need to pull the wires out of the plug so the 2400 ish ohms isn't in parallel with the bad strip itself.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #138
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGSA View Post
The heater was plugged in. Maybe I need to pull the wires out of the plug so the 2400 ish ohms isn't in parallel with the bad strip itself.
I think someone needs to measure an in-service working strip that the bike has been calibrated with. This is the only way we can be sure the resistance truly matches. This is exactly what I was going to do before my strip crapped itself night before last. Ugh! Luckily I still have warranty so I may have to have mine replaced again then try afterwards. If that doesn't work then the theory may not be valid. We'll have to deal with that if/when the time comes but I'm still holding out hope for this little hack.

Joel...
1. Could you even see the resistance values during calibration with the MOSS? I'm curious what the range is between full and empty. I would think it couldn't be too small because the slightest changes in temperature or resistance in the connections would foul the bike calibration at startup.
2. Do you know the ignition on procedure? Is the bike passing current through the unheated strip, verifying it matches the MOSS calibration setting, then reading the fuel level by heating the strip?
3. I'd also really like to know if the bike clears these codes automatically. If I had a working strip and plugged it back in right now, would the code(s) clear immediately, take some number of cyclings, or just stay latched on? I currently have the flashing yellow triangle, a FUEL! warning, and no fuel level indication; with or without the pot set to ~2400 ohms.

Old_Don or GS Addict - It would be good info if one of you could take your spare strip and plug it in to see if the bike remains code-free and will read fuel level. If it does read the level then is it really reading full while sitting there out of the tank?

Thanks for all your info and effort guys. We could make a LOT of BMW riders happy if we make this work.

TXjames screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 06:23 AM
TXjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #139
rickrwh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
http://bmwbmw.org/bts/2012/bmwbmw_bts_2012-04.pdf

Half way in. New RT becuase of faulty fuel strips.

Hmmmmm......
Old 04-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #140
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 208
The last time the fuel strip went out, Bob's pulled my fuel strip, dried it, re-installed and calibrated it. It works better but it's certainly not reliable. It can show empty when there's over 3 gallons in the tank.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #141
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
recalibrate

Joel, i wrote way back in the early pages, my right fuel line came unclipped (somehow), and i thought it was the strip again. i thought all was well after i took the strip out, cleaned and reinstalled, reclipped my right fuel line. It sort of worked. I'm almost out of warranty, and my dealer is tired of replacing the strips in my ADV. How do you reset, or recalibrate????
Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #142
EddyQ
Dreamer . . .

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Soldered in a pot set to 2420 ohms, replacing the strip. Computer is still flashing the warning indicator and not reading fuel level. Is this a latching alarm that needs to be cleared with GS-911 or have I not fixed the problem?

Are we certain there are two independant circuits? Anyone ohm out a good strip to see if there was a connection from the heater circuit (pin 1 to 4) to resistor circuit (pin 2 to 3)?
EddyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #143
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyQ View Post
Are we certain there are two independant circuits? Anyone ohm out a good strip to see if there was a connection from the heater circuit (pin 1 to 4) to resistor circuit (pin 2 to 3)?
I measured a known good one and the two circuits were isolated from one another.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #144
TXjames
High Sider

I hate to say it but I think we're wasting our time here fellas. A buddy read that this has already been attempted by some guys on bmwst. He didn't bookmark the thread and I haven't been able to find it but they were unsuccessful and came to the conclusion that it will not work with a simple resistance.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #145
EddyQ
Dreamer . . .

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
I hate to say it but I think we're wasting our time here fellas. A buddy read that this has already been attempted by some guys on bmwst. He didn't bookmark the thread and I haven't been able to find it but they were unsuccessful and came to the conclusion that it will not work with a simple resistance.

I've spent a bit of time over at BMWST and don't recall this exact test being a failure or even tried.
There is a case where someone replaced the strip and didn't bother to calibrate. The new strip resulted with very low fuel indication.
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...rue#Post732860

So, if I would guess what your issue is, the resistor value isn't close enough to what your old strip had.
Maybe the heat transfer is different or simply the tolerance is too great.
EddyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #146
OldBob
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I wonder how the resistance (at start-up) changes between say -20F and +120F, ambient temperatures to which the bikes can be exposed. I'm starting to suspect that an ambient temperature "correction" is part of the equation. If so, then start-up (with a full tank) resistance is variable. Any resistance that we introduce would have to be in synch with the ambient temperature.

Bob
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #147
OldBob
n00b

Oddometer: 4
It seems that someone over at bmwsporttouring.com has made some progress.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...gonew=1#UNREAD

Bob
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #148
TXjames
High Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
It seems that someone over at bmwsporttouring.com has made some progress.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...gonew=1#UNREAD

Bob
YES!!! I was able to recreate his results last night (Jameseo over there)!!! Gonna continue working on this today after business hours.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #149
TXjames
High Sider

The Infinite Tank

The mystery has been solved! Here are the details as I posted them on the bmwst 'Crossing fuel gauge wires' thread...

RoSPA_man really made an outstanding discovery when he realized that the multimeter enables the circuit!

After I was able to repeat his results on my bike I was discussing them with smiller. He locked on to the very small voltage generated by the meter (mV) and recommended wiring the positive side of the fuel strip circuit to 12V with a very large resistance between to emulate the meter. It turns out that a 1M Ω resistor comes very close to supplying the same voltage as the meter. With this high resistance there is very little current flow; a mere 0.001mA (yes, one or two micro Amps). With that little current it may not even be necessary to ignition switch it.

Couple this small voltage with the 2k Ω that it takes for the tank to read full and you have an infinite full tank and, more importantly, no error code flashing at you constantly! Here is what the final circuit looks like (in my kindergartener’s mind):

This is it people! We no longer have to repeatedly pay BMW for their poor design!!! I give you... The Infinite Tank
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #150
TrollGSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
The mystery has been solved! Here are the details as I posted them on the bmwst 'Crossing fuel gauge wires' thread...

RoSPA_man really made an outstanding discovery when he realized that the multimeter enables the circuit!

After I was able to repeat his results on my bike I was discussing them with smiller. He locked on to the very small voltage generated by the meter (mV) and recommended wiring the positive side of the fuel strip circuit to 12V with a very large resistance between to emulate the meter. It turns out that a 1M Ω resistor comes very close to supplying the same voltage as the meter. With this high resistance there is very little current flow; a mere 0.001mA (yes, one or two micro Amps). With that little current it may not even be necessary to ignition switch it.

Couple this small voltage with the 2k Ω that it takes for the tank to read full and you have an infinite full tank and, more importantly, no error code flashing at you constantly! Here is what the final circuit looks like (in my kindergartener’s mind):

This is it people! We no longer have to repeatedly pay BMW for their poor design!!! I give you... The Infinite Tank
Well done. I shall do this myself. Nice work.
So what wattage resistors?

TrollGSA screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 10:31 PM Reason: add crap !
TrollGSA is offline   Reply With Quote