ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #166
kk3an
Adventurer
 
kk3an's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Somerset, PA
Oddometer: 88
I can 100% confirm now the new fuel strip - uncalibrated - I installed this week is 100% accurate through a full "Full" to "Empty" range - actually more so than the original because the new strip seems to reflect the fuel decrease sooner than the original did, beginning with a full tank and working down. In other words, the indicated range seems more linear now.

Dan
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #167
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 122
2009 gs

Just replaced the fuel strip less then a month ago and is becoming irratic again. Worked well until today. Fuel would only register full the entire ride. Had to fill up twice on the trip. at a half tank and 100 miles, the low fuel light illuminated (was registering full just a minute prior). Topped it off with 2.2 gallons. Registered full then empty soon after. back to the dealer again. I guess at least its stilll under warrenty for a few more months...
__________________
2014 R1200GSW
alaninsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #168
cjack
Studly Adventurer
 
cjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsea View Post
Just replaced the fuel strip less then a month ago and is becoming irratic again. Worked well until today. Fuel would only register full the entire ride. Had to fill up twice on the trip. at a half tank and 100 miles, the low fuel light illuminated (was registering full just a minute prior). Topped it off with 2.2 gallons. Registered full then empty soon after. back to the dealer again. I guess at least its stilll under warrenty for a few more months...
BMW parts warranty is two years including labor regardless of who did the work. Unlimited mileage.
__________________
My other bike is a BMW
Jack
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #169
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 122
warranty

That's good to know....Thanks
__________________
2014 R1200GSW
alaninsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #170
aschnell
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: NH
Oddometer: 94
I just ran out of gas. Fuel step was acting up end of last season. Trip meter reset over winter, but I usually use that as a backup. Off to the dealer next week. 09 Gsa. Will post what they come up with.
aschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #171
ceasarfelix
2009 R1200GS
 
ceasarfelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
If anyone knows where I can source the male side of the 4-pin connector please let me know! I could produce a plug-and-play solution that would require no electrical knowledge and provide it for the community.
It would be great if you can go up with this! I know nothing about resistors or electronics but I would sure like to bypass the fuel strip. The last 2 I had replaced went bad in less than 500 miles. I live over 100 miles from the nearest dealership. I ride a lot and going back to have the fuel strip replaced every few weeks just is not worth it.
__________________
Al

************************
2009 R1200GS
2002 K1200LT
ceasarfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #172
drmajor
Studly Adventurer
 
drmajor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 516
Fuel strip

I was looking at the new BMW incentive adds- You know, come spend your $$ with us, buy a new bike, and we'll give you $500 of BMW clothes. (=one pair of pants).

What if we all get the address (not e-mail) of the BMW public relations people and send them a complaint letter stating that we loyal BMW owners think they should spend the $500 with us loyal customers. 2nd, it would earn them better PR doing this as we would not have to tell people who ask us how we like our GS/RT etc about the bum service we've gotten on the fuel gauge.

I enjoy the GSA-07. However, I had the Key antennae break and left me stranded in 95 degree heat.
I had the front brake rotor warp.
I had the battery fail 2 weeks out of battery warranty (=1 yr) Left me stranded 125 miles from home.
I had the fuel strip fail 3 times.
I had the ABS fail 3 months out of warranty.

Yep, very reliable bike... BMW--- do you want this PR???

drmajor screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 10:45 AM
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #173
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer
 
JoelWisman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: STL, MO, USA
Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
I was looking at the new BMW incentive adds- You know, come spend your $$ with us, buy a new bike, and we'll give you $500 of BMW clothes. (=one pair of pants).

What if we all get the address (not e-mail) of the BMW public relations people and send them a complaint letter stating that we loyal BMW owners think they should spend the $500 with us loyal customers. 2nd, it would earn them better PR doing this as we would not have to tell people who ask us how we like our GS/RT etc about the bum service we've gotten on the fuel gauge.

I enjoy the GSA-07. However, I had the Key antennae break and left me stranded in 95 degree heat.
I had the front brake rotor warp.
I had the battery fail 2 weeks out of battery warranty (=1 yr) Left me stranded 125 miles from home.
I had the fuel strip fail 3 times.
I had the ABS fail 3 months out of warranty.

Yep, very reliable bike... BMW--- do you want this PR???
They already have this, it is called "good will". Good will is a one time partial or complete coverage of a repair of a bike that is recently out of warranty or for something that is not normally covered by warranty while the bike is still in warranty.

BMW USA is generous with good will but the dealership has to know their ass hole from a hole in the wall, request it, dot the "i's" and cross the T's.

As for reliability...... The dealership is an independent franchise and squeaks loudly to BMW USA all the time about reliability. BMW USA is an importer and squeaks loudly to the manufacture in Germany all the time about reliability.

Germany builds the bikes they build and no amount of complaining in english will rectify this since the only guys that could address reliability all speak German :)
__________________
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #174
rhafe123
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 85
I ran out of gas yesterday.

Gauge said 90 miles to go. Saved by a local with a big gas can. Guess I have the problem too now.
rhafe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #175
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
Mine was being flaky and died completely yesterday.

I'm about 6 months out of warranty. Called the dealer and they said I had no option but to pay. They also said it would cost about $300 to fix. Then, it's warrantied for 2 years, unlimited mileage.

Questions:

1. Anyone have a guide about how to fix it themselves (since as mentioned here, calibration is not necessary)?
2. Can anyone confirm a $300 estimate? I don't want to ride an hour and a half to the nearest dealer just to have them bill me for $600.
3. Anyone have a good plan of attack on how to request a "good will" repair? My bike has less then 10k miles on it. If I knew who to bother and how to ask politely for it, I might get somewhere.

Thanks!
__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #176
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
Mine was being flaky and died completely yesterday.

I'm about 6 months out of warranty. Called the dealer and they said I had no option but to pay. They also said it would cost about $300 to fix. Then, it's warrantied for 2 years, unlimited mileage.

Questions:

1. Anyone have a guide about how to fix it themselves (since as mentioned here, calibration is not necessary)?
2. Can anyone confirm a $300 estimate? I don't want to ride an hour and a half to the nearest dealer just to have them bill me for $600.
3. Anyone have a good plan of attack on how to request a "good will" repair? My bike has less then 10k miles on it. If I knew who to bother and how to ask politely for it, I might get somewhere.

Thanks!
Call a different dealer.. My dealer got my blow out ESA rear shock replaced when it was 6 months out of warranty... this item is a known issue with the bike and I would bet BMW NA will cover it if your dealer actually tried to get it done. BMW is very good with the "good will" warranty coverage. In NoVa I assume your nearest dealer is Mortons? I am surprised they didnt try and get BMW to cover it..
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #177
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Call a different dealer.. My dealer got my blow out ESA rear shock replaced when it was 6 months out of warranty... this item is a known issue with the bike and I would bet BMW NA will cover it if your dealer actually tried to get it done. BMW is very good with the "good will" warranty coverage. In NoVa I assume your nearest dealer is Mortons? I am surprised they didnt try and get BMW to cover it..

It was Mortons. I'll call Bob's and see what they say. Any magic phrase I should use when talking to them? Anyone Specific I should talk to?
__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #178
Preston
livin4it
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: WA.
Oddometer: 217
Time to sell it!

I have just reached 20k on my 09 1200GS. As of now I will be headed to the dealer for strip number four! By then I will have traveled over one thousand miles, spending six days of my life just because of this issue!
When number four is installed ,this motorcycle will be for sale.
I can then get back to enjoying the incredible reliabilty of my good ol KLR!
My dealer has been very understanding and cooperative, but they cannot by themselves do anything to fix the crap parts BMW is using to measure fuel.
When this 1200 is sold you can be sure I will never waste my money again on a BMW product!
Nuff said..........
__________________
Preston (aka--"J.R.")


KLR650
R1200GS
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #179
TXjames
High Sider
 
TXjames's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
I have just reached 20k on my 09 1200GS. As of now I will be headed to the dealer for strip number four! By then I will have traveled over one thousand miles, spending six days of my life just because of this issue!
When number four is installed ,this motorcycle will be for sale.
I can then get back to enjoying the incredible reliabilty of my good ol KLR!
My dealer has been very understanding and cooperative, but they cannot by themselves do anything to fix the crap parts BMW is using to measure fuel.
When this 1200 is sold you can be sure I will never waste my money again on a BMW product!
Nuff said..........
Did you divorce your wife when she fouled up your omlet three times in a row too? Jeebus.
TXjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #180
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,213
lol. I just wouldn't ask her to make anymore omelettes. Now. If she stopped performing other and more important "tasks"...then we might have a problem. I guess it's all about priorities and omelettes ain't a priority. Just sayin'..

I didn't buy a fuel gauge. I bought a bike. Let's keep some perspective.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014