Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #181
Preston
livin4it

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Did you divorce your wife when she fouled up your omlet three times in a row too? Jeebus.
I don't waste much time on this forum of late because of remarks like that. .

I made a simple direct point. I spent 20k for a motorcycle that is suppose to have a fuel guage that works. BMW has not been able to make that happen in this model. Plenty enough reason for me not to purchase another one of their products.

KLR650
R1200GS
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #182
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,464
Like I said. Priorities. I couldn't give a rat'sass if it didn't come with a fuel gauge. KTM doesn't. At least mine is more accurate than that. lol

And man, if that post bothered ya....you are taking this shit waaaay too seriously. This is supposed to be fun. Chill a little.

Yeah. It bugs me, too. But enough to get rid of the best bike I have ever owned? Hardly.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 03:24 PM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #183
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,464
Oh. And just in case you missed it, this is a maintenance issue
:

.Fuel strips? LMAO.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #184
MathewC
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 421
Preston,

I don't disagree with you. If the bike has a fuel gauge, and it does, it should work. If it's defective (and it sounds like it is) then they should replace it with something that works. If they can't then it's time to spend your money with a company that cares about things like that.

That said, I hope my bike does not go down that road. I really enjoy it.

If anyone else has answers to my questions, I'd like to keep this problem as cheap as possible, and have an opportunity to fix it myself. I don't care so much to go off topic about whether bmw sucks or not.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #185
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
It was Mortons. I'll call Bob's and see what they say. Any magic phrase I should use when talking to them? Anyone Specific I should talk to?
Yeah absolutely.. you need to talk to the Warranty Manager.. not the service manager or one of the snuffies working the parts or service desk. Every dealer has a person who specifically interacts with BMW North America warranty department. You need to ask for the fuel strip to be covered under "good will" coverage. Like I said they covered my entire rear shock replacement even though I was 4 months out of warranty. How many miles on the bike?

OBTW I am on my 5th strip.. although I really think 3 and 4 failed due to dealership incompetence.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #186
MathewC
All adders are puffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Yeah absolutely.. you need to talk to the Warranty Manager.. not the service manager or one of the snuffies working the parts or service desk. Every dealer has a person who specifically interacts with BMW North America warranty department. You need to ask for the fuel strip to be covered under "good will" coverage. Like I said they covered my entire rear shock replacement even though I was 4 months out of warranty. How many miles on the bike?

OBTW I am on my 5th strip.. although I really think 3 and 4 failed due to dealership incompetence.
Sir, I owe you a cold one.

I called and spoke to the warranty manager and he looked up my bike and apparently this has already been replaced on my bike, and itself is still under warranty. So I guess this will be #2 for me.

He did say some things I will pass on to you guys.

Me: "I've heard some horror stories online"
WM: "believe them"

WM: "there's no end in sight"
WM: "we got a report of getting a lot of faulty parts, so you might get one"
Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #187
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

sweet I can go home for the day.. I finally accomplished something
Old 06-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #188
Dave RII
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Questions:

1. Anyone have a guide about how to fix it themselves (since as mentioned here, calibration is not necessary)?

I just changed mine this AM. It is fairly easy and takes about an hour and a half start to finish. It is best to do this with the tank nearly empty. Removing the tank is not necessary.

1. Remove all the bits and pieces covering the tank including the 'tank lid', removing the front beak gives you a bit more room to work but is optional.
2. Remove the fuel pump cover (left side) by lifting up.
3. Disconnect fuel line by pushing in on the metal tab and lifting the line up.
4. Disconnect the two external electrical connectors to the pump.
5. Unscrew the pump retainer ring.
6. Carefully pry the pump assembly up and lift clear of the tank, remove the fuel sender's electrical connector from the underside and set pump aside.
7. Lift the filler tube up from the top of the tank, the fuel strip is clipped to a wire rod welded to the tube. It's a PITA to remove the tube but all you need do is lift it up enough to unhook the strip.
8. Remove strip.

Installation is merely the reverse, though you need to reach into the tank, through the pump mounting hole, to guide the strip to the bottom of the tank as your setting the filler tube/strip assembly back in place. It also helps to smear a little bit of lube on the outside of the fuel pump assembly so that is slides into the gasket easier.

Quote:
2. Can anyone confirm a $300 estimate? I don't want to ride an hour and a half to the nearest dealer just to have them bill me for $600.
I've never paid the dealer to replace one, I am too cheap, my first two were done under warranty. I purchased the most recent strip from A&S Cycles in CA for $112. (if that helps you at all.)
Dave RII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #189
DaveyMac
AARP Trail Rider

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave RII View Post
I just changed mine this AM. It is fairly easy and takes about an hour and a half start to finish. It is best to do this with the tank nearly empty. Removing the tank is not necessary.

1. Remove all the bits and pieces covering the tank including the 'tank lid', removing the front beak gives you a bit more room to work but is optional.
2. Remove the fuel pump cover (left side) by lifting up.
3. Disconnect fuel line by pushing in on the metal tab and lifting the line up.
4. Disconnect the two external electrical connectors to the pump.
5. Unscrew the pump retainer ring.
6. Carefully pry the pump assembly up and lift clear of the tank, remove the fuel sender's electrical connector from the underside and set pump aside.
7. Lift the filler tube up from the top of the tank, the fuel strip is clipped to a wire rod welded to the tube. It's a PITA to remove the tube but all you need do is lift it up enough to unhook the strip.
8. Remove strip.

Installation is merely the reverse, though you need to reach into the tank, through the pump mounting hole, to guide the strip to the bottom of the tank as your setting the filler tube/strip assembly back in place. It also helps to smear a little bit of lube on the outside of the fuel pump assembly so that is slides into the gasket easier.

I've never paid the dealer to replace one, I am too cheap, my first two were done under warranty. I purchased the most recent strip from A&S Cycles in CA for $112. (if that helps you at all.)
Can you explain what you mean by tank lid.
I have a GSA

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #190
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
WM: "we got a report of getting a lot of faulty parts, so you might get one"
Pretty much what my dealer said when they replaced my first one last month. Still the same old fuel strip that may fail in 5 years or 5 seconds. There is just no way to tell.

They also told me that it's a "known issue" and BMW is replacing these even if the bike is out of warranty.

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #191
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Fuel Strip

What is the latest part number for the strip?

GSA 2007.
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #192
Dave RII
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm650 View Post
Can you explain what you mean by tank lid.
I have a GSA

That is BMW's name for the locking fuel filler cap that is held on by the 6 screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
What is the latest part number for the strip?
Dave RII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #193
MathewC
All adders are puffs

Bike got dropped off this morning. Going to pick it up shorty. Anyone have any details about why it fails? Oxidation? I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #194
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Bike got dropped off this morning. Going to pick it up shorty. Anyone have any details about why it fails? Oxidation? I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again.
pray, meditate, human sacrifice, whatever religious ceremony you find appropriate.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #195
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
It fails because it sucks, it will happen again and again and again.

It is not from oxidization but rather mechanical movement of the film strip inside the strip frame. If you don't ride or move your bike, the strip will likely last for decades.

Past shop foreman of one of the big 20 USA BMW dealerships with a bunch of pieces of paper that imply I know something, AKA about the most official acknowledgment you are likely to get, however I do not work for BMW corporate or saying the truth like this would get me fired :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote