Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #196
MathewC
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
pray, meditate, human sacrifice, whatever religious ceremony you find appropriate.
What do flaming Atheists do?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #197
MathewC
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
It fails because it sucks, it will happen again and again and again.

It is not from oxidization but rather mechanical movement of the film strip inside the strip frame. If you don't ride or move your bike, the strip will likely last for decades.

Past shop foreman of one of the big 20 USA BMW dealerships with a bunch of pieces of paper that imply I know something, AKA about the most official acknowledgment you are likely to get, however I do not work for BMW corporate or saying the truth like this would get me fired :)
Thank you. I grilled the guy at the shop today and he wouldn't comment. At least I know how it works now.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #198
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Fuel Strip

Just wondering---- is there a way to stiffen up the fuel strip so it does NOT flex. Maybe that would "protect" it????
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #199
Narat_524
full contact origami

Oddometer: 7
My 2009 1200GSA fuel stripped stuck twice briefly in 2011 (around 12,000 miles), but shaking the bike freed it and the gauge worked again. This spring, March 2012 (15,000 miles), started riding the bike to work again and after the third time, the gauge stuck and has remained stuck ever since with the yellow fuel warning light. I now base my fill-ups on the trip odometer and it hacks me off to no end.

I've never used anything except 91 octane non-ethanol fuel (I've always checked). So, while it may contribute to the issue, any claims regarding that on my bike are bupkis. ... I'm now out of warranty of course.

$20K and no fuel gauge... I wouldn't accept that on my car or truck, I won't accept it on my bike either.

~ T
Narat_524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #200
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
Just emailed my dealer about mine as its faulty. His informed me BMW has put a production holt on the strips, so they are not shipping replacement parts. Hopefully that means they are working on a permanent fix.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #201
ihint
07 GSA

Oddometer: 1
After looking over all 10+ pages of this thread, I still don't know what to do.

I have a 07 GSA with 39,000 and mile FUEL light starting flashing around 3 weeks ago.

Next Friday I have an appointment at local BMW Dealer to replace the Fuel Strip and the estimated cost is $300.

A few questions....

1) Is it harmful to drive my bike with the FUEL light flashing?

2) Post #149, (The Infinite Tank) says that "you can have an infinite full tank and, more importantly, no error code flashing at you constantly!" by changing the circuit around the fuel strip.

Is this a recommended solution? Has anyone tried with success? Would a BMW dealer be able to perform this?

3) If I end up having the fuel strip replaced, is there anything I should know or say to the service department?
ihint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #202
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
The strip on my '09 went south around 28K miles (bike was out of warranty due to age) but the dealer good willed the repair and it didn't cost me anything. If I had to pay $300, I would not have had it replaced.

I have a good idea of the range of my bike and can live without a gas gauge (did for many years with my old dirt bikes).

Ask you dealer to see if they would replace it under a good will warranty since this is a known issue and BTW, once they replace the strip, the 3 year warranty clock gets restated.

Are you the first owner? If not, have them check to see if it was replaced at some point. It may still be under warranty.

BTW, when mine went, it always showed too much gas in the tank, the light never flashed on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihint View Post

I have a 07 GSA with 39,000 and mile FUEL light starting flashing around 3 weeks ago.

Next Friday I have an appointment at local BMW Dealer to replace the Fuel Strip and the estimated cost is $300.

A few questions....

2) Post #149, (The Infinite Tank) says that "you can have an infinite full tank and, more importantly, no error code flashing at you constantly!" by changing the circuit around the fuel strip.

Is this a recommended solution? Has anyone tried with success? Would a BMW dealer be able to perform this?

3) If I end up having the fuel strip replaced, is there anything I should know or say to the service department?
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #203
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihint View Post

A few questions....

1) No harm with the warning light flashing. It will clear itself if the problem is fixed.

2) I recommend it but I'm pretty sure BMW would have a different opinion. Especially if you still have warranty. They most certainly would not perform the procedure for you. And yes, it works. This is simply a shade tree fix to a problem that plagues many BMW owners. If your strip dies, you're out of warranty, and have the yellow triangle constantly flashing then the workaround will solve your problem forever; very inexpensively.

3) You can tell them "See you soon," since you'll be back.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #204
blkvelvt
Commuter Warrior

Oddometer: 136
My odometer makes a perfect fuel gage. Look at the fuel strip as a back up system.

Hmmmmmmm............
blkvelvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #205
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkvelvt View Post
My odometer makes a perfect fuel gage. Look at the fuel strip as a back up system.
True, but when you have bikes that cost 20K and up, you expect a simple thing like a fuel gage to work.
2010 GSA
Old 07-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #206
blkvelvt
Commuter Warrior

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
True, but when you have bikes that cost 20K and up, you expect a simple thing like a fuel gage to work.
I spent more than $20,000 on my marriage. Not everything works as advertised either. LOL

Hmmmmmmm............
blkvelvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #207
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkvelvt View Post
I spent more than $20,000 on my marriage. Not everything works as advertised either. LOL
Thankfully bikes have warranties
2010 GSA
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #208
Thodoras
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Yes, it happens in Europe too!!!
Just had the same problem with my 2008 r1200gs... I'll visit my dealership on monday and post the results...
Thodoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #209
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
BMW should be paying for every last out of warranty fuel strip failure until they provide a solution. That or start buying the bikes back.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #210
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,471
NM. (Thought better of it. Y'all are on a roll. ;) )

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 08:21 AM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote