Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #211
gsapilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
The fuel strip problem has been around for how long now? 6-7 yrs? Two possibilities: 1) BMW doesn't have the engineering expertise to solve the problem 2) BMW doesn't give a rat's ass about the problem. I tend to lean towards #2.
gsapilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #212
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsapilot View Post
The fuel strip problem has been around for how long now? 6-7 yrs? Two possibilities: 1) BMW doesn't have the engineering expertise to solve the problem 2) BMW doesn't give a rat's ass about the problem. I tend to lean towards #2.
There is a hold on production for the fuel strips, so hopefully that means they are working on a solution to the problem
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #213
gsapilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
If I'm not mistaken, BMW has been going back to the tried and true float system on many models.
gsapilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #214
MathewC
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 417
I was deep in the RLD and filled 3/4 of a tank a couple days ago, today, I'm still showing almost all the way full.

I hope it re-calibrates.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #215
rickbt
rickt

Oddometer: 32
Question Any luck getting the gage to show full

Hi All

Has anyone had any luck getting the gage to show full all the time using the method shown in post #151? I gave it a try and I still get empty with the yellow light on. I pluged the resistors into the plug and left the whole thing hanging in the air. Do I need to keep the cable pluged into the strip and splice the resistors into the wiring?

I did not disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Is this needed?

I checked voltage at pin 4 to ground and I get about .75 vdc. Someone posted that they had a reading of 7.5 vdc. That was on an 05 RT an my bike is an 09 GS.

My bike went for about a year showing full all the time. A few weeks ago I hit some bumps and the gage went to empty, then a few bumps later back to full. It did that a few time and now it is stuck on empty. I have about 23,000 miles on the bike.

Any information would be a help.

Thanks
Rick
rickbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #216
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbt View Post
Hi All

Has anyone had any luck getting the gage to show full all the time using the method shown in post #151? I gave it a try and I still get empty with the yellow light on. I pluged the resistors into the plug and left the whole thing hanging in the air. Do I need to keep the cable pluged into the strip and splice the resistors into the wiring?

I did not disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Is this needed?

I checked voltage at pin 4 to ground and I get about .75 vdc. Someone posted that they had a reading of 7.5 vdc. That was on an 05 RT an my bike is an 09 GS.

My bike went for about a year showing full all the time. A few weeks ago I hit some bumps and the gage went to empty, then a few bumps later back to full. It did that a few time and now it is stuck on empty. I have about 23,000 miles on the bike.

Any information would be a help.

Thanks
Rick

Yes, Rick. The strip heater must remain connected or you will get a code. The bike does not need to be running but you do have to have the ignition fully on. Then it will take some time (I don't recall the duration but I believe it's less than a minute but definitely less than two minutes) for the code to clear and the fuel level to read. You may have to modify the resistance value (try a potentiometer) from pin 2 to 3 since this is the one replacing your fuel strip and the system has been calibrated for the installed strip. Keep plugging away. You'll get it to work and never be bothered with a faulty strip again!

I am interested in your results. Feel free to PM me or post your questions here. I'm subscribed.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #217
rickbt
rickt

Oddometer: 32
Tank still shows empty

Thank you TXjames

This is what I did today. I cut the wires at the plug that go to terminals 2 and 3 and installed a 2K resistor. I spliced into the wire that goes to terminal 4 and connected a 1 M resistor between it and the wire that went to terminal 3. I then pluged the plug into the fuel strip socket. The battery was disconnected during this. Hooked up the battery and turned on the key and I still get the empty tank. I left the key on for about 5 minutes. I then started the motor and let it run for about 3 to 4 minutes with no change in the fuel reading.

I didn't have a pot available so tried 5K, 4K, 3K, 2K, 1K, 0K, and open circut with the same result. I took readings on the fuel strip and got 36.5 ohms between treminals 1 and 4, 14.15K ohms between 2 and 3, and open between 2-1, 2-4, 3-1 and 3-4.

Did I do something wrong? Do I have someother problem? If I get a pot, what range would I get? Any thing else I should check?

Thank you
Rick
rickbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #218
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
3rd Strip in 4 months?????

So I have an '09 GS
91 Octane Chevron
Running my GS as a daily commuter

Recently moved to AZ - which is when my 1st strip went bad April. That strip lasted an entire tank and a half before it went bad. Got the 2nd strip installed the same month. Now in July my fuel strip went bad again! Guess at least it went a full 2-3 months before failing again.

Is there ever going to be a fix to this??? Getting tired of having to run back to the dealer to get it repaired. Warranty expires next month.

Is there anything I can make sure the Dealer does before digging into my tank again? How about a Lemon Law!

Alan
Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #219
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,809
Make the problem expensive enough to BMW, and you will get a working fuel guage. http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #220
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
I was deep in the RLD and filled 3/4 of a tank a couple days ago, today, I'm still showing almost all the way full.

I hope it re-calibrates.
Your fuel level rarely drops when it sits in the driveway .
Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #221
DaveyMac
AARP Trail Rider

Oddometer: 172
Just pickup my bike from Max's.
I'm on number 4.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #222
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbt View Post
Thank you TXjames

This is what I did today. I cut the wires at the plug that go to terminals 2 and 3 and installed a 2K resistor. I spliced into the wire that goes to terminal 4 and connected a 1 M resistor between it and the wire that went to terminal 3. I then pluged the plug into the fuel strip socket. The battery was disconnected during this. Hooked up the battery and turned on the key and I still get the empty tank. I left the key on for about 5 minutes. I then started the motor and let it run for about 3 to 4 minutes with no change in the fuel reading.

I didn't have a pot available so tried 5K, 4K, 3K, 2K, 1K, 0K, and open circut with the same result. I took readings on the fuel strip and got 36.5 ohms between treminals 1 and 4, 14.15K ohms between 2 and 3, and open between 2-1, 2-4, 3-1 and 3-4.

Did I do something wrong? Do I have someother problem? If I get a pot, what range would I get? Any thing else I should check?

Thank you
Rick
Your strip readings make sense. The pins 1,4 are the heater and are normally around 35 ohms. The pins 2,3 are the sensor and new strips measure nominally 2500 ohms.
I think 2K or 3K is too far away for a valid reading. Try 2.5K and leave it in place for a time. You can make it up with the values you have...ie two 5K resistors in parallel, etc.
I don't know if the computer throw a fault if the heater is open and don't know why the 1 Meg resistor would be required. But I do know that if the 35 ohms and 2500 ohms are present to the connector, the computer should be satisfied. Try the 2500 ohms only.

BTW, I replaced the strip on one of our K1200S bikes with a new strip reading the above values, did not do a calibration, and it works fine.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #223
rhafe123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Mine acted up a while back...

and I ran out of gas. A pisser. I took someone's advice and use the trip meter as a reference point now. Don't really think about fuel strips any more. The fuel gauge appears normal, I just ignore it.
rhafe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #224
Conrad
Karlshuld

Oddometer: 209
I was so excited when I picked up my brand new '08 R1200 GS....unlike my '95 GS I finally had a fuel guage!
Well, on the first tank of fuel I ran out of gas with the gauge showing 3/8 tank (dumb me, I trusted the gauge and did not set my odometer).....I called the dealership who replied, "well yes, there is a problem with the fuel strip", bring it in and we'll fix it under warranty (this was real 'big' of them). The FS was replaced and the replacement worked not much better. The second one was replaced and it worked fairly accurately.

The gauge on my new '12 GS works perfectly and accurately BTW.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #225
MathewC
All adders are puffs

Oddometer: 417
Annnd, it's broken again.

Fek.