Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
I canceled my subscription to MCN long time ago.
Since Lee Parks left they are no more than a amateurish fancine for guys liking Harleys and Ducatis...
Often they don't know what they are talking about like a 1400 Concours racking up cheaper maintenance bills than a 1200RT...
I read MAD magazine now...
Had one faulty fuel strip on a 09 R1200R right off the showoom floor,fixed under warranty and no problem ever since...
The problem should go away very soon anyways since "welfare for farmers/ethanol susidies" just ran out...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmatt View Post
Got a 2010 with bad FS. Interested in BMW's response. Reckon they'll blamd the Ethanol, which is WEAK since Ethanol in Gas didn't arrive just yesterday, it's been here a while....AND IN EUROPE TOO!

And if it truly is Ethanol related, then go back to the easy float type approach.
Or design a fuel strip that is more robust to the effects of ethanol. That can't be so difficult. (or maybe it is since the went back to mechanical floats). g-
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
ARG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Motorcycle Consumer News has been very active in solving motorcyclist's issues such as Gold Wing steering head bearings in the past.
If you have any comments on this Fuel Strip issue please send them to Motorcycle Consumer News at the address below;

editor@mcnews.com
Subject Line, Downtime Files

This may help if we all send them a note with our experiences and thank them for their interest.

ARG
ARG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,824
BMW says it's not so widespread.

Hm. Like R1100 surging and soft cast wheels.

So, when did they go back to mechanical floats?
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Ethanol isn't going away

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...cted-grow-2012
CannonsvilleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #21
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Doubt ethanol has anything to do with the faulty fuel strip as none is added to gasolines in Chile and my '09 r12gsa still failed. Couldn´t get Techron as some recommend, but used a can of Motul Clean Fuel System instead and after half tank (or a couple of days) the fuel gauge seems to be working again. Curiously, my '07 r12rt has never shown a fuel gauge problem. Wonder if they used floats back then?

A
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
BMW says it's not so widespread.

Hm. Like R1100 surging and soft cast wheels.

Around 08/2010. Input your VIN # into RealOEM and it will tell ya what ya have.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,824
Think mechanical floats are retro-fittable?
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmatt View Post
Got a 2010 with bad FS. Interested in BMW's response. Reckon they'll blamd the Ethanol, which is WEAK since Ethanol in Gas didn't arrive just yesterday, it's been here a while....AND IN EUROPE TOO!

And if it truly is Ethanol related, then go back to the easy float type approach.
Actually, BMW did go back to a float type sensor on the new bikes (even though there was nothing whatsoever wrong with the strip sensors). Guess they just got tired of all the imaginary problems with the strips.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARG View Post
Motorcycle Consumer News has been very active in solving motorcyclist's issues such as Gold Wing steering head bearings in the past.
If you have any comments on this Fuel Strip issue please send them to Motorcycle Consumer News at the address below;

editor@mcnews.com
Subject Line, Downtime Files

This may help if we all send them a note with our experiences and thank them for their interest.

ARG
What did they do to solve the head bearing issues on the Goldwings? As far as I know, they still come with the same undersized POS ball bearings that they've always had.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
My 2007 GS ADV "Without Computer" came from the Factory with the mechanical float.
As verified on RealOEM and the Dealers Network Parts List.
Oh...and 53+K miles and NO Issues as of yet with fuel levels.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Actually, BMW did go back to a float type sensor on the new bikes (even though there was nothing whatsoever wrong with the strip sensors). Guess they just got tired of all the imaginary problems with the strips.
I thought this was only for bikes w/o the optional computer... computer bikes still have the strip.. I have no idea where I came up with this idea.. I am sure I read it here on adv though.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I thought this was only for bikes w/o the optional computer... computer bikes still have the strip.. I have no idea where I came up with this idea.. I am sure I read it here on adv though.
I got that info from the newest parts catalog and also a BMW bike "tech" (if that means anything). The parts catalog apparently doesn't list a strip for the new bikes - at least as far as I can see.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Looks like the GS models have the float in them (after August 2010), but the GS Adventures still have the strip.

My Adventure just turned 1 month old, 4600 miles, and fuel level indication still works. Time will tell.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydad View Post
The response said that Techron seems to slow if not eliminate the corrosion the strips are subjected to from American gas blends.

My dealer's head mech said there is no difference between bottled Techron and the BMW labeled stuff they sell.
There is a difference between BMW techron and store bought Chevron techron concentrate, but it's just in the ratio of chemicals and both help prevent fuel pump and injector failure

Neither do the slightest bloody thing for reducing fuel strip failure. Your head tech is parroting what corporate advised him to say about 2 years ago, but corporate dropped that line when tests on their own demo fleet revealed that techron did nothing to slow fuel strip failure.

BMW addressed this issue on 2011 models by going back to a float style sender, unfortunately it is not compatible with older bikes.

As for the problem not being as wide spread as the internet implies, hell yes it is! The failure rate is over 50% in the first year!!!! Can't get much wider spread then that, though some do get lucky and have a strip that l;acts through warranty and beyond.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote