Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
Looks like the GS models have the float in them (after August 2010), but the GS Adventures still have the strip.

My Adventure just turned 1 month old, 4600 miles, and fuel level indication still works. Time will tell.
ALL bmw's have transitioned to a float at this point, including the adventure. It was a rolling production change with some bikes changing later then others but all 2012 models now have floats.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #32
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
ALL bmw's have transitioned to a float at this point, including the adventure. It was a rolling production change with some bikes changing later then others but all 2012 models now have floats.
I want to believe you, but every parts book I've looked in still shows the strip for the Adventures. What is your source? I would be delighted if there is a float in my tank vice the dreaded strip. My bike was built May 2011.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #33
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I want to believe you, but every parts book I've looked in still shows the strip for the Adventures. What is your source? I would be delighted if there is a float in my tank vice the dreaded strip. My bike was built May 2011.
My source is me lol. Until recently, I was shop foreman of a large BMW dealership, but here is a snap from the electronic catalog.

fuel sender

Unlike the description in the pic says, 8/10 wasn't the date of changeover. Theres about 6 months where the catalog is wrong.

But it's easy to verify. Take a flashlight you feel is safe to shine down the filler neck and have a looksie. If it is a strip, you will see the hanger rod coming down from the filler neck and a black plastic wavy thing headed towards the bottom of the tank on the left side. If it is a float AND the tank is low you will see a part of the brownish float far forward on the left.

No black plastic wavy thing, it's a float.

I think by march of 11 they were all floats in the GSA, but trust your eyes not my memory :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250

JoelWisman screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 09:03 PM Reason: i'm retarded
Old 02-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #34
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Thank you very much, JoelWisman. I took a quick look, and no little wavy thingy. Tank was pretty much full, so I have to drive a little tomorrow. I might be lucky!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #35
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you very much, JoelWisman. I took a quick look, and no little wavy thingy. Tank was pretty much full, so I have to drive a little tomorrow. I might be lucky!
Unfortunately we've had plenty of problems with the floats as well (not as many, perhaps 5% in first year). under warranty we just replace them but once out of warranty the floats are easy to fix.

If you really want to be sure, just pull the gas cap and filler neck. Only 1 tool required T25

Pull 3 T25's from each side panel. Pull 2 t25's from top cover to beak. Pull 3 T25's (these might be T30's, can't remember) from gas cap. pull remaining 2 or 3 screws from filler neck. If it's a strip, the strip will start to come out with filler neck.
All gaskets are rubber and reusable.

perhaps overkill, but easy once you have done it once.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #36
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Unfortunately we've had plenty of problems with the floats as well (not as many, perhaps 5% in first year). under warranty we just replace them but once out of warranty the floats are easy to fix.

If you really want to be sure, just pull the gas cap and filler neck. Only 1 tool required T25

Pull 3 T25's from each side panel. Pull 2 t25's from top cover to beak. Pull 3 T25's (these might be T30's, can't remember) from gas cap. pull remaining 2 or 3 screws from filler neck. If it's a strip, the strip will start to come out with filler neck.
All gaskets are rubber and reusable.

perhaps overkill, but easy once you have done it once.
I'm OK with the overkill - I NEEEED to know what's in my tank! Shoot, if it weren't midnight, I'd be out in the garage now. It'll have to wait, though.

Again, thank you very much for your tips.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm OK with the overkill - I NEEEED to know what's in my tank! Shoot, if it weren't midnight, I'd be out in the garage now. It'll have to wait, though.

Again, thank you very much for your tips.
Anytime :) Note, if it's a strip, the wires actually plug into the underside of the fuel pump assembly which is the cover thats way forward on the left of the tank, so you won't be able to remove the strip, but theres plenty of slack to gander at it.

If it's a strip, the bottom of it rests in a bump in the tank, make sure to wiggle it back into the same spot, or it will become pessimistic on your fuel level.

When removing the filler snout, if it's a strip, you will have to turn and angle it this way and that to get the strip hanger to come through the opening, and be gentle or the strip will come off the hanger and you will have to stuff your hand in the tank to retrieve it, like I have many times lol.

If it's not a strip, the filler knock will come out easily with nothing attached to it, if memory serves, gads, pretty sure on this, Piaggio group knowledge is starting to displace BMW group knowledge lol.

Good luck, let me know which fuel level sensor you find you have. If it's a strip, I suggest resetting and relying on your trip meter.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #38
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

well??? whats the verdict?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #39
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Sorry, as excited as I have been to go check it out, I haven't done it.

I'd like to think I can tinker with the bike this weekend, but I'm in the middle of a bathroom re-model. And I'm waaaay behind schedule.

I'll shoot you a pm once I get to it - this way you can gage, sort of, about roughly when the fine folks in Berlin changed production.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #40
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 273
It appears my 2010 GSA just ate fuel strip number one at 18K.
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 470
Mine went bad at 35k out of warranty and they still replaced it for free... so I guess they are doing something about it. Except for the flashing light, I really could care less.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #42
ARG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Joel,
Do you know if a bike with a strip can be retrofitted with a float. I know several parts probably would have to be replaced but do you think it would be possible?

Thanks,
ARG
ARG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #43
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARG View Post
Joel,
Do you know if a bike with a strip can be retrofitted with a float. I know several parts probably would have to be replaced but do you think it would be possible?

Thanks,
ARG
No, not unless you replaced the fuel pump frame wich is not sold separately, DME, and harness. Even then, Germany would have to build a patch so the new brain would sync with the other computers and I can't see them doing that.

Sorry.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #44
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Looks like the GS models have the float in them (after August 2010), but the GS Adventures still have the strip.

My Adventure just turned 1 month old, 4600 miles, and fuel level indication still works. Time will tell.
Pretty sure my 2011 GSA has a float.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #45
mojospain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Me tooo

09 GSA with 70,000kms on the clock and on my 3rd fuel strip out of waranty.
over it now just know it drops between levels down to 110 kms left and the last 25kms are pretty accurate :-)
mojospain is offline   Reply With Quote