Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Me and my monkee OP
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 975
Kawasaki AR80

Any experts here?
I had one back in my misspent youth, and recently picked up another. Doesn't seem to run as I remembered. But before I start with the questions just figured I'd see if anyone here has knowledge. No much info around on these bikes.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
One of the fastest 50cc i have driven!
Nice power curve if you like to shift a lot!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,326
How long has it been sitting, and what are your intentions restoration Mods

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I had one for a while. It would do just shy of 70mph bone stock. I was even stupid enough to bring out in traffic on the highway one day.....ever ride your bicycle at highway speeds next to 18 wheelers before?
S-C-A-R-Y

they are simple engines..no different than anything else. whats "wrong" with it?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Bud Tugly
Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer: 229
A frequent problem with 2 strokes that have been sitting unused is leaky crankcase seals. Since the crankcase on 2 strokes forms part of the intake system, if those seals leak it'll mess up your fuel/air mixture big time.
Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Me and my monkee OP
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 975
Thanks all.
I remembered a top speed of just shy of 70 back in the day, but this one can barely crack 55 on a flat road. Though my old one did have a Micron race pipe

I got all the intake system back to stock but felt the bike bogging in the last 10% or so of throttle. Removed the airbox silencer to let more air in and it ran like pure shit, sputtering and all. Put a piece of uni-foam in the circular intake on top of airbox, without the airbox silencer (this is how it was when I bought it) and things got better. Better throttle response, and better top end, but barely.

I just want to get it running right, and then worry about tuning etc. after that.

I have not checked jet sizes yet...I guess I need to do that first, make sure the carb is all stock. Carb needle looks very straight, hardly any taper at all.

Crankcase seals? Easy fix?
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee View Post
Thanks all.
I remembered a top speed of just shy of 70 back in the day, but this one can barely crack 55 on a flat road. Though my old one did have a Micron race pipe

I got all the intake system back to stock but felt the bike bogging in the last 10% or so of throttle. Removed the airbox silencer to let more air in and it ran like pure shit, sputtering and all. Put a piece of uni-foam in the circular intake on top of airbox, without the airbox silencer (this is how it was when I bought it) and things got better. Better throttle response, and better top end, but barely.

I just want to get it running right, and then worry about tuning etc. after that.

I have not checked jet sizes yet...I guess I need to do that first, make sure the carb is all stock. Carb needle looks very straight, hardly any taper at all.

Crankcase seals? Easy fix?

How much did you weigh "back in the day?".... If you put on 100 lbs, that poor little bike is giving you all she's got at 55....

To check crankseals, you'll need to do a leak-down test. Blocking intake and exhaust ports, making sure everything is tight (head, carb manifold, etc)... Pump in 6 lbs (hand pump..NOT A COMPRESSOR) of pressure, and if it holds for 6 minutes, you are good as far as "pressure" goes. Then use a mity-vac and put 6lbs of vacuum to it.. If it holds for 6 minutes, the crank seals are good. If it doesn't hold on either test, squirt some soapy water on "suspect" areas to see if there is a leak in a location other than the crank.

Im not sure if you can replace the AR80 crank seals without splitting cases? If you can, then yes... pretty easy fix. But if they are "ribbed" seals (where the cases hold them inplace), then you are stuck splitting cases.

Probably not a bad idea to buy the Sudco Mikuni Carb Tuning manual.. It will teach you about each carb circuit and its job in fuel/air delivery.