Old 03-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,177
Chasing Grizzlies Near Truth Or Consequences New Mexico

March 15-16, 2014.
Base Camp - Truth or Consequences - Desert View Motel - Owner Hauss

Team Grizzly

All moto trials riders, all good friends. A weekend ride around Truth or Consequences - Monticello Box, Palomas Gap, Apache Gap, mining ruins, badlands, washed out creek beds, water, vistas, food, beer, cheap lodging.

Our guide - Grizzly also known as Chris. Chris is a native of this region, worked as a fire fighter, government ranger stuff and know makes rockets employed for good safe keeping in foreign lands far away. Sort of like what you get when you ride 30 miles away from T or C. Grizzly is not your average dual sport & trials rider. Chris could bend handle bars on an XR650 making a sweeping sand turn. Grizzly rides a XR650L with over 35,000 miles and the bike is a testament to it's legend. Grizzly is a massive and very strong guy, standing around 6'5" he makes his XR look like a 250 and he rides the bike like a Sherco. How many people do you know who reposition their front wheel 180 degrees in one spot; in the air

Another XR650L rider is Ron, a vintage and expert trials winner for many years. Ron rides with a mixture of throttle WFO and trials finesse. He loves wheeling in rivers and took advantage of every sand turn to counter steer and slide. Ron is likely the shortest guy on the trip but once mounted on his BRP (L), he rolls.

Bruce - KTM 525 - Chapo from Sipapu is our oldest and the most solid motorcycle rider I know. Bruce is a Team Magoo member and was our real McGiver in Baja last year. Bruce is generally the sweep but I have learned that allows him the time to take pictures of flowers and mines while the gang rolls on. He then has his opportunity to rail on his own accord to catch up to the group. I have said it before and I will say it again, Bruce is that guy you want on your deserted island if your marooned for a long time or the Baja Bug Bites.

Captain Nemo - Chuck - KTM 525 - Always eye candy. Chuck is our New Mexico most winningest champ observed trials winner, over 20. Chuck has recently entered into desert racing and won his first ever race a few weeks ago. Chuck has zero ego, easier to get along with than your first date and never shirks his talent when presented. He was a pleasure to watch in Baja as our star Team Magoo rider. I could go on all day about Chuck's riding but he just rolls with the gang. Solid - solid.

Ray - Dallas Texas - DR650 - Team New Mexico member for 15 years, ridden more of New Mexico than most of us and my best friend since college, uh 30 years ago. Ray and I have traveled to around 100 nationals and logged many motorcycle miles together, even if most of it was in circles in the trees and over rocks. Having Ray join us on this ride was a blessing for me and Team Grizzly. Ray managed the DR like a boss, he impressed us all with steady riding on Sunday.

Ateam - DRZ400 - Wonna be adventure rider and I'm just glad to be here, proud to be part of the team and willing to contribute any way I can. I am amazed that I continue to be invited on dual sport rides, I try to keep up.

I played with math and collectively, the 6 riders represent over 150 years of moto trials riding experience. We are all around or have over 20 years riding a bike with no seat. Chuck was a kid who carried a jug of gas and rode his trials bike from his house to trials events in the foot hills of Albuquerque when he was in his early teens. So we were all a good mix and with exception to our Grizzly guide and Chuck, we were all virgins to the Box and the Gap.

This day report is less talk and mostly pictures. I can't remember all the names of the places we visited because I was focusing on riding and rubber necking. Grizzly can chime in here and there if so kind and clarify my mistakes.

Friday night we gather at the Desert View and we all telling lies and excited as always about Saturday. It was cold, overcast, mega wind and blissful, minus that dreaded slab ride home. I think we rode 130 miles or so on Saturday, the terrain was a mix of water, sand, water, gravel, water and incredible canyons.

A compilation of photos from Day 1.

More to be continued.

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 06:26 PM Reason: Edit for punctuation
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,816
these pictures suck, looks like a crappy ride.......

burque magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,124
it was nice warm and sunny until. we got out of the box, soaking wet

than the clouds wind and rain and the temp dropped

the weather just kinda wasn't epic (for the rest of Saturday)

grizzzly screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 11:17 AM
grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,639
Looks like you boys had fun!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,545
Looks like a good ride!!

Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Tony, that is an awesome photo collection in your video! Loved it and loved the music!! Pint and a half would be proud!!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

As we enter the confines of the canyon, water crossings start. This is spectacular and I have been waiting a long time to finally ride into the 'Box".
Following Grizzly is sooo much fun.

Ray - DR650

Grizzly XR650L

Ateam - DRZ

Ron - XR650L

Bruce - KTM 525

When riding in the 'Box', look for the plaque up on the canyon wall. This is a memorial to David Garrett. If interested, check out the following two pages from my Baja report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21021892&postcount=110

This is my attempt at a eulogy on the beach.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21027101&postcount=115

Day I to be continued. We travel out of the canyon and go explore an abandon mining town. Then ride into alpine forests and check out an old logging camp. So far the ride has been less than surreal.

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 11:21 PM
Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

The water riding was nearly as fun as ridding on the beach in Baja. One of those special moments you know will always be in the memory bank.

As we ride and splash away in the river road, I notice chuck has stopped on his KTM. Uh oh, issues?

Fouled plug. No worries, Team Grizzly had ample tools and spares.

The water riding continues but soon ends. Imagine a 100 mile ride in this kind of river?

Grizzly can part the water.

Ray Bob

Petroglyphs apparently are in a lot of areas if you know where to look.

Excuse, no climbing Bruce has never seen one of these signs nor had we.

Up the mountain, in a remote area, riding motorcycles with great friends.
Is this a great country or what?

A cold and windy slab run back to the hotel. Team Grizzly at large celebrating life.

Tomorrow, Palomas Gap and a hard day for the 'Wonna Be Riders'. Also another photo video and could there be issues?

TO BE CONTINUED

AteamNM screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 06:41 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

moon rise @ the desert view

love how the moon kinda blends in with the lamps

Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Awesome photos guys! Now I really want to revisit this area again soon, especially the Chloride area. Gotta find a weekend soon to get this ride in!!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
What Curtis said ^^^. It will be hot down there before we know it. Looking forward to the Apache gap part!
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #12
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,148
Nice RR, keep it coming!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Awesome photos guys! Now I really want to revisit this area again soon, especially the Chloride area. Gotta find a weekend soon to get this ride in!!
What he said
Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #14
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
What Curtis said ^^^. It will be hot down there before we know it. Looking forward to the Apache gap part!

and when do you want to go?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
atomizer
Be here now

Oddometer: 255
That looks awesome. Great photos. It is now on my list. Thanks for sharing....
atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote