Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #46
Windy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret2 View Post
30 miles Windy, that might be askin a bit much, make sure you have your AA card
you know what I like about you Stuart?.....
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #47
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
any ideas if the routes will be like those on the 2008 trip - dry gravel etc? I ask because if there is a fair bit of forest tracks ill look for more off road biased tyres. Maybe a mefo super explorer rear and a d606 or mt21 front.

ill be riding over from switzerland so highway Kms may be an issue with the mt21.
fluff34567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #48
Rose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
The route will be like the 2008 but add some more of Slovenia to it.
Croatia was dry and rocky/gravel, Slovenia had plenty of that + a lot of forest/dirt roads with rocks lying about and roots sticking out and bushes to find your way through, but it was dry when we where there in September 2008, so no guarantees on how the weather and dirt conditions will be in May.... I was there on a set of MT21 on my 650 and planning to do the same this time. Loz and CrazyIvan where on MT21 front and Dunlop 908RR rear on their 950SE and HP2 that year and I believe they where happy with that combo on the heavier bikes.
I would advise against anything less than TKC, but I can't look in anyone's ridingskills and ambitions to do all the tracks we are supplying.... Neither would I go overboard towards enduro/competition tyres, we're not riding for fastest time and there will be plenty of flattop that is a lot more enjoyable on tyres with a bit of flesh on it... (also in Portugal last year some had to change their enduro/competition tyres, and that was only an 8 day trip)

This might not look too hard, but it is a lot steeper than it shows in the picture... I got stuck with my 650 on MT21 after being bounced off by a big root and couldn't get started again... (the direction was up)

Rose screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 06:28 AM
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #49
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Excellent info Rose many thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #50
geoff barnett
geoff barnett

Oddometer: 3
Transport to WYOA Balkans 2012

Hello, me again. My last post wandered off into far more interesting areas.

However, back to boring logistics of getting there - does anyone have a space in their van and I can share costs of getting there and back.

Best wishes,

Geoff (number 22, Leicestershire, BMW Barbarossa edition)
geoff barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #51
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

tyres ordered 908rr and mt21 delivery on monday. time to practise spooning the tyres off and on

couple questions i have not seen elsewhere - apologies if it has.

those that are coming with vans/tailers etc i assume these are left at the first camping meeting spot - any limits on the numbers of vans or extra charges?

i would like to get some paper maps , any idea when the route will be sent out?

thanks for all the hard work so far
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #52
Rose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Fluff, Sorry we've been busy with other stuff a lot lately...
The stress is defenately on now to get everything ready in time for everybody

Yes, The start and finish will be on a campsite in Austria, not too far from Villach. They have no problems with us leaving our vans/trailers there for the 2 weeks and only charge a small extra amount about 10 or 20 euro's per van/car/trailer (to be confirmed).

In general:

For maps,
We will stick to Slovenia and Croatia, for paper maps I don't think you need too much detail, just to find the general direction you want to go to when you need to find another route due to closed route or else. Also perhaps mark the campsites on there, so that you can find your next stop if your GPS failes...
We will have a rest day in the southern part of Croatia though, that would make it possible for people to make a daytrip to the bridge of Mostar in Bosnia, for the ones that would be interested (the bridge itself I found not to be too interesting, a small lane leading towards it crowded with stalls where you can buy manchester united shirts and stuff) but the city itself is just the more interesting, as if the war was just over a week ago....

The tracks,
We are redrawing all the tracks in Adria Route 3.11 now. There is so much detail in there it is hard to figure out which are doable on motorbikes an which not and some might not exist at all, what we encountered in 2008 as well. So don’t dwell too long on finding a track that might not exist anymore.. Also don’t go down a track you are not sure you can get back up to and vice versa…

As for the ones that are already hovering over a pile of gear to pack on the bike, make sure you have your essentials like spare tubes, tools, your basic camping gear and personal gear, but try to keep the weight down, no use to bring a spare mattress in case the first one leaks, they do have shops in those parts of the world and they do have garages to help out with repairs that require heavier tools. I always strongly advise against hard cases (heavy, easily damaged, painfull for your legs getting under them, etc) but everyone’s to decide for themselves..

Like last year we won't be able to send out te tracks/camps like 2 weeks in advance, so make sure your bike is prepped, so you have the last week to concentrate on how the tracks fit into your GPS best (plenty people that have a last minute stress situation there ).

Further more, don’t forget to bring your health insurance card and your personal and vehicle repatriation insurance card!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #53
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Thats excellent Rose, thanks for the wise words and confirmations. Mark and I are still in 2 minds to bring a van - its a BIG one so may be able to give 1 or 2 people a lift as far as Basel or Zurich - to be confirmed of course.

cheers for the GPS/maps info , in that case ill use the gps and get some maps there if needed.

Take care and look forward to seeing you and the rest of the group soon.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #54
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisdut View Post
AdriaROUTE 3.30 NT is good as well in that area Info here I'm sure its on other sites

Hope that helps

Louis
+1 for Adria Topo - we used 3.2 last year, it's quite detailed and had lots of unpaved roads and tracks as well as paved roads in Slovenia and Croatia and had good coverage in Bosnia too.
Berin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #55
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 832
Get Adria Topo its great...if any problems get in touch we have a lot of friends in Croatia and Bosnia....

I am in Montenegro......
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #56
Rose OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well.... While I spent the whole weekend emptying my old house, that is going to change owners this friday...
CrazyIvan spent the whole weekend drawing the missing parts of the tracks and looking for campsites...

Turns out we went overboard on the amount of tracks
So the rest day is now off, we have 12 days of tracks between 150 and 295 km, including the connection to the campsites.
That still does not not mean you 'have' to ride every day, you may choose to skip a day anyway you want by going staight forward to a next camp for 2 days, or lay back on a camp to your liking and catch up the next day, or just pack up, traight to next camp and have the afternoon off... whatever.

The good news is... It looks like we have campsites for all the nights That is... according to the websites
So the last years participants know the drill... turn up, go to the reception, pay your own campspot and that's it..
We are not making reservations or anything, so that everybody is free to change plans or go wilcamping if they want/need to..
By the way, one of the campsites is in Hungary!!

So the tracks... We've spent hours running the tracks in google earth, but it's hard to make out what sort of roads/trails they are, especially in the forrests, you can't make out if there's any trails through the dence greentops...Croatia was also hard to figure out if it's paved or unpaved... Just a reminder that a lot of the tracks are not tested and can turn out great or a dissapointment at some times as well... But overall I think it's gonna be great.

All for now...

Rose screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 04:41 AM
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #57
Famous
Goin down hill fast

Oddometer: 219
Sounds good Rose

Thanks for all the work

It's good to have the "unknown" stuff it adds to the adventure

Counting the days
Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #58
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Where is the Balkans.....?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #59
oRICHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks for all the work you guys & gals have put in so far.

I'm
No. 24) Rich (UK) Suzuki DRZ400 BTW, I thought I'd better register and say How'do.

I was on a shake down camping run last weekend with Harty so I now know what works & what doesn't with my kit.

Really looking forward to this, see you all soon.

Rich.
oRICHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #60
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 249
Thanks Rose & CravyIvan for the work you've put in, much appreciated. Really looking forward to this now, only 20 sleeps to go!