Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
The innermost bead, at best, out of the three in the pic might take some patience. A better pic, or better eyes for me, would show which direction the torch traveled. The glare and blue is a bit tricky to focus on to get a good read on their process.

Carl
I think we're talking about different beads. I'm talking about the ones WAY up in there. Not the three separate colinear beads closer to the camera. Here's another photo minus the paint:

Here's another one. Take a look at the discoloration here. See that little additional triangle above the existing gusset? I think they doubled that whole gusset by adding another plate to the back. The stitches all along the edges seem to confirm that.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 02:38 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,421
According to an HPN build I've read they do double up on those plates. Think we could talk to the guy that's making these to make the other braces? Who is he anyways? If I'm going have my frame bead blasted and re-powder coated I want to add as many gussets as I can.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Think we could talk to the guy that's making these to make the other braces? Who is he anyways? If I'm going have my frame bead blasted and re-powder coated I want to add as many gussets as I can.
Judging by the photos Solo posted, I'd say they're coming from Paul Rooney in Oz. Call the man. I PMed you his contacts info.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 03:25 PM
Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Judging by the photos Solo posted, I'd say they're coming from Paul Rooney in Oz. Call the man. I PMed you his contacts info.
These plates are being cut by a guy in CA, not OZ..... and are based on a Paul Rooney kit that another CA member has. Is this kit complete? I don't know...

I stepped out of this because I don't have the time and $$ to front a purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
walkingbear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,389
the order

Should I contact him about adding another piece or is everybody ok with this?

I'm have my frame blasted and then repaired and adding the reinforcements.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Solo-
Those bikes in the photos were very recognizably "Rooneyish". If you can wait a bit, I might let you touch my frame with a pair of calipers. Houseoffubar could probably take care of the rest. Just saying...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Solo-
Those bikes in the photos were very recognizably "Rooneyish". If you can wait a bit, I might let you touch my frame with a pair of calipers. Houseoffubar could probably take care of the rest. Just saying...
Please define "a bit"

No doubt houseo' could do the job....

Quote:
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
If these are an accurite copy of Rooneys gussets then I imagine that you guys would be getting all the gussets pictured earlier, except you would be getting two of these ones- at least you should be getting two of these ones

I feel a little funny posting photos of Pauls work in a thread about buying copies of his gussets. But, he is a great and helpful guy and has been so helpful and free with his knowledge and experience with me so I am guessing it might be OK. They are just a few bits of metal after all.
anyway,
here is some shots of his work, which I hope are detailed enough to speak for themselves,

Originally I was looking into buying a set of gussets from Paul. Despite being happy to unleash my awesome () tig welding on my subframe and luggage racks I have banned myself from welding on the mainframe. I think I have found a couple of welders down here who would have the skills required to do the welding. However none of them have actually done this before (to an airhead frame), Paul has done a lot of these and he also has the ability to check if the frame is straight. I don't want someone to learn how to do it on my frame.
For myself, I am just going to bite the bullet and send my frame to Paul to do his work on. The price for the work, including a powdercoat is actually very reasonable IMO. (probably only suitable to Aus and NZ)

And just a note about Paul's work and gusseting from what I have pieced together over a few conversations- with the disclaimer that these are my thoughts and impressions not Pauls words.
Paul is not (partially or fully) copying HPN's work. Paul does and has done his own work and has some different ideas about airhead builds than HPN do (check out the headtube extension and Pauls use of smaller offset triple clamps for an example). This is not to talk either HPN or Paul up or down. Pauls gussets are all in place due to particular failures in particular places on particular bikes he has built in the past. The gussets are there to fix actual issues that have occurred with built-up and ridden (very) hard airheads. This isn't looking at the frame and saying 'what I can reinforce next'... it is more 'why did that happen and what needs to be done to stop it happening again'.
In a good way I see this as kind of a trial and error process- which frankly having done a little reading into the engineering required for gusseting properly I am happy with compared to blindly over-gusseting and reinforcing (not saying HPN do this, just saying it)- with the advantage that I can sit here and benefit from many years of trials.

If Paul gets some more funky frame failures in the future then his gusset kit may grow to accommodate this (if a gusset/reinforcement would fix the failure) but at present, and with a lot of builds and hard riding to test it, this kit seems to work very well for him and his customers.
For instance he doesn't replace the upper shock mount with a beefier bit of metal and welds like HPN do (or sometimes do?), because well, he's never had a problem there- and this is with ridden hard RTW and rallye bikes with 50-100mm rear end extensions and big front ends.
I've only talked to Paul on the phone so far, but I really like his attitude and approach to this stuff. It makes sense to me. If anything that is what I am trying to translate here- the way he has thought about but more importantly practically figured this all out for himself- with obviously different outcomes than HPN (and really, most often a different purpose in mind).
Personally I wouldn't be worried about one of Pauls actual gusset kits being sufficient for how I will ever use my G/S, I'd just be worried about finding the right welder to do the work.

finally, just a little bit of eye candy,

ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Problem solved, thanks ontic!

Clearly this kit needs two of those braes, one for each side of the steering head tube.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
I'm in for a set.. don't when it will be TIG on, since my frame is freshly done.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #26
Carl

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
I think we're talking about different beads. I'm talking about the ones WAY up in there. Not the three separate colinear beads closer to the camera. Here's another photo minus the paint:

You weren't specific about which weld(s) and the ones you describe as being WAY up in there weren't very visible in the first posted pic. Still, there are plenty of welders that can 'handle' this weld task. That includes physically doing the welding and having the understanding of 'how' to weld it.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,421
I can't believe there isn't somebody in the US that does this. Has anyone reached out to Houseoffubar about welding their's in? If not, I likely will.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I can't believe there isn't somebody in the US that does this. Has anyone reached out to Houseoffubar about welding their's in? If not, I likely will.
He is going to weld mine in (at least we discussed it)... getting the pieces is what 'bear is doing for us

Quote:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
walkingbear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,389
Next step

I've emailed Tad the cutter. I sent him pics of the braces on the bike and will need to get new pricing.

So, the price set is not the price. Will let everyone know when I do.

TIA ...
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
What ever happened here? Apparently a lot of hard work was put in by a very generous inmate with the promise to share freely.

Maybe inappropriate to post here, but it does seem a shame not to follow this up.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote