ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,117
Gateway, Colorado store closed - no gas

heads up.
we just got word today they have closed the general store and the pumps, so don't plan on gas there.
gas up in grand junction or naturita.
museum and ADV center still open.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
That sucks... Thanks for the heads up!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,660
I think they are supposed to be open in the spring again. A management company took over the operation of the resort, and is changing some things around. They have shut down a lot of stuff for the winter.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
heads up.
we just got word today they have closed the general store and the pumps, so don't plan on gas there.
gas up in grand junction or naturita.
museum and ADV center still open.

Shouldn't you be worried about Pemex?

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
gfountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
The link below is to a Denver Post article in December that talks about the future of the Gateway Resort including the convenience store. They have some pretty ambitious plans to make it an exclusive, high end resort. I sounds as though they don't want all the bike traffic at the resort. I stayed there a few years ago when it was reasonably priced. Those days are over - if their plans are successful.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_19514910

'05 R1200RT, '06 WR450F, '11 990 Adventure

AMA, BMWMOA, BMWMCC, COHVCO
gfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Timboat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Eakins

that Eakins guys knows all.....

catch ya soon....

Roll on back to someplace you ain't never been" Dicky Betts

Timboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,987
We have stayed there a number of times in the past. The prices were actually very reasonable (less expensive than the Best Western in Moab) and it made for great weekend getaways. We have always enjoyed staying there. But even with the affordable prices, there were always a large number of vacancies and we always wondered how much money they must be losing. Even here in Durango we know a lot of people who have never even heard of the place. I wonder how they are going to be filling these same rooms with even higher prices?

We are still constantly getting emails offering great deals if we come back to stay again. I would not be surprised if they start offering good discounts again once the new tourist season starts if their occupancy rates don't get better.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
We have stayed there a number of times in the past. The prices were actually very reasonable (less expensive than the Best Western in Moab) and it made for great weekend getaways. We have always enjoyed staying there. But even with the affordable prices, there were always a large number of vacancies and we always wondered how much money they must be losing. Even here in Durango we know a lot of people who have never even heard of the place. I wonder how they are going to be filling these same rooms with even higher prices?

We are still constantly getting emails offering great deals if we come back to stay again. I would not be surprised if they start offering good discounts again once the new tourist season starts if their occupancy rates don't get better.
I've noticed that apparent lack of guests also on my last visits to the area over the last two years. I've never stayed in the resort but camped nearby. The amount of vehicles parked in the parking lots and the amount of people moving about during prime season time of spring and summer looked very meager. Someone mentioned them not wanting bike traffic. I'd say a third to a half of the activity I saw around there involved touring and cruiser bike folks, which is somewhat logical considering all the great paved road rides in the area. It appeared quite a few of the people staying at the resort were high end touring/cruiser bike riders. I'd find it hard to believe that they don't want this kind of business, since it didn't look like hords of tourists were beating their doors down. The new managing company may be trying to save some money in a more seasonal move, but isn't the owner of the resort a car/motorcycle gearhead type guy? While I'm sure that a good many of our unwashed, dirt riding peons aren't their main target marketing group, I'm sure they'd love to get as much of our money as anyone's.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,234
Bummer.
The first time I rode through town there was gas available at the diner/gas station. That was '98 or something. I was back through a few years later and planned to fuel up there. No luck, but the owner sold me a gallon of gas from his spare tank.
As for the resort, yeah, I've been wondering how they make it work for the past few years. Seems the only folks aware of it are moto heads.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
IMHO
it would be a perfect spot for a Bike Resort ala Deals Gap...

Black Canyon
Blue Mesa
Million Dollar Highway
Lake City

lots of other paved passes in range....
Old 01-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
IMHO
it would be a perfect spot for a Bike Resort ala Deals Gap...
Unfortunately, John Hendricks does not share that sentiment. You could offer to buy him out.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,252
Quote:
Unfortunately, John Hendricks does not share that sentiment. You could offer to buy him out.
Not sure how much of the wikipedia article about him and his family is factual, but it looks like a daughter may be the most heavily involved in the resort. I know from talking to a reliable local source there in the community on different occasions that the resort has tried to promote the golfing and some environmental adventure agendas without a lot of success. Funny...I never looked at golf courses and environmental concepts as being very compatible. Frankly I like the fact that the area may be just be a little too "rough" for many of the candyasses that the resort may be trying to play to. It's a great area of transition for the mountains and desert, and I love it. The only inconvenience for me personally in the demise of the resort might be the lack of available ice for my camping needs. I can bring enough accessible fuel, food, and other logistics to the area for my needs, but ice goes fast around there even with one of them thar high tech ice chests.

Still, this family seems to have some decent ties to the gearhead community, and it seems odd that there would be any annimosity. However, with some rich people you never know. Maybe the daughter is a hater or something?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,956
Quote:
No need to buy him out, its a town so there are other land owners...open up a biker resort down the road...make it all HD with straight pipes...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
I think they are supposed to be open in the spring again. A management company took over the operation of the resort, and is changing some things around. They have shut down a lot of stuff for the winter.
court spoke w/ the manager lady (they carry butler maps) about a reorder and that's when she said it's closing down. there was no mention of it being a winter only thing, but i'll follow up and see what i find out.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
No need to buy him out, its a town so there are other land owners...open up a biker resort down the road...make it all HD with straight pipes...LOL
i do think that would make an ideal biker/4x4 camping/cabin location as there is so much great riding street and dirt in that area. you could ride different stuff every for days on end plus it's not utah beer. is there a campground in that area?