ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
No need to buy him out, its a town so there are other land owners...open up a biker resort down the road...make it all HD with straight pipes...LOL
They long ago bought up about all of the nearby bottom land and especially the scarce water rights from the old local land holders who had any desire to sell (and also probably bought the county commissioners as well) so it would be difficult for someone else to do anything like that in the general vicinity. Naturita would be the closest place where such a venture could probably work out as they at least have some infrastructure (like gas stations, motels and the Highway 141 Saloon) and a desire for new businesses other than the new uranium mill just to the west.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer: 1,017
Cool2

Gee, I didn't see any motorbikes in Gateway when I was there this autumn although there was a designated parking area for them. See? No bikes! I'm sure we don't add much to their business.

Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.
Graywolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf11 View Post
Gee, I didn't see any motorbikes in Gateway when I was there this autumn although there was a designated parking area for them. See? No bikes! I'm sure we don't add much to their business.
And don't even mention the vintage motorcycle shows they hosted...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,569
On my first riding trip into Colorado ('98), we rode 141 after CO Nat'l Monument ...not knowing it was a great bike road. One of our group had a small tank and needed gas in Gateway. Years before a resort was planned, and the only gas station/market was boarded up. He rolled into Naturita on fumes. Gateway looked like the last place you'd expect a posh resort to pop up.

If the resort is going to stay afloat they'll have to tune their expectations to the kind of crowd that's a natural fit. Doesn't sound like that's in their plans.
With Moab getting crazy overbooked for Jeep Safari, and being a pleasant drive over JB Cyn.... seems it would make sense to attract some overflow business.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
On my first riding trip into Colorado ('98), we rode 141 after CO Nat'l Monument ...not knowing it was a great bike road. One of our group had a small tank and needed gas in Gateway. Years before a resort was planned, and the only gas station/market was boarded up. He rolled into Naturita on fumes. Gateway looked like the last place you'd expect a posh resort to pop up.

If the resort is going to stay afloat they'll have to tune their expectations to the kind of crowd that's a natural fit. Doesn't sound like that's in their plans.
With Moab getting crazy overbooked for Jeep Safari, and being a pleasant drive over JB Cyn.... seems it would make sense to attract some overflow business.
I agree...truth be told I would stay at many other places with the wife on a nice luxury trip before Gateway, CO...LOL And yes, I have stayed...surprises trip took the wife to Telluride and stayed in the 'Hotel Telluride' (Oprah suite) as they called it at $1,000 a night. Been there done it. Not sure I stay in Gateway at that same rate, its freaking desert (yeah nice views but not being a golfer and wife not much of a 4x4'er not the place we would go). Not sure many OTHER wealthy people would be into the whole Desert thing...maybe I am wrong. I think it will flop. Plenty of nice Golf Courses elsewhere, plenty of nice resorts elsewhere...not sure why people would flock there *shrug*
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
And don't even mention the vintage motorcycle shows they hosted...
Couldn't help myself....

Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
this thread got me all hot and bothered....had dreams of buying the resort and turning into something fun....

nope:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_19514910

Gateway Canyons Resort gets $20 million glitz-up

Posted: 12/11/2011 01:00:00 AM MST
By Nancy Lofholm
The Denver Post
Horses roam the land at Gateway Canyons Resort. The resort is getting more luxurious, with prices to match. (Special to The Denver Post )

GATEWAY — A decade ago, when Discovery Channel founder John Hendricks discovered the backroads community of Gateway, visitors here could come and go without spending a nickel. The town was lacking any commerce.
Hendricks changed all that with a stylish, Sedona-style development built where Colorado 141 crooks through Gateway, an unpretentious collection of trailers and simple homes an hour southwest of Grand Junction. His strikingly different Gateway Canyons Resort — a mix of hotels, restaurants, a spa, a store and gas station, an event center and a car museum — has brought amenities and dollars to Gateway since it opened seven years ago.

Now, a $20 million wintertime refashioning of the resort is designed to boost Gateway Canyons into the kind of place where Fortune 500-level visitors can be expected to drop thousands of dollars on luxury rooms, spa treatments, gourmet meals and helicopter trips to other regional attractions.
"This will become more of a national and international destination," said new Gateway Canyons manager Ken Stone, who works for Noble House Hotels and Resorts.

Hendricks partnered late this summer with Noble House, a Kirkland, Wash.-based company that specializes in management and ownership of exclusive, luxury hotels. Most are on the coasts, but Noble House also manages the Mountain Lodge at Telluride.
Since Noble House has taken over management of Gateway Canyons, plans for change have been moving quickly.
One of the first very visible renovations in March will be the moving of the convenience store and gas station at the forefront of the resort to a site off the resort property.

The current convenience store will be turned into a wellness center. Gas tanks will be dug up and the area that used to be a parking lot will become a landscaped pedestrian area.

A porte-cochere will be built over the roadway into the resort so visitors can be dropped off in style at what will be a glitzed-up hotel after renovations.

The store, which has been a gathering place for motorcyclists who flock to the scenic ride through Unaweep and Gateway canyons and an oasis-like stop for travelers needing gas or coffee, will be moved around the bend and temporarily located in a triple-wide trailer next to Gateway's community building.

In keeping with the wishes of the Gateway community, when the new convenience store is built, it won't be in the stucco style of the rest of Gateway Canyons. Locals expressed a preference for a store resembling an old mining structure. Also in a nod to locals, the store will be managed by a family from Grand Junction rather than by the resort.
"I think this will really bridge some separation we've had in the past," Stone said.

But regional visitors who liked to book rooms at Gateway for weekend getaways may find they will be priced out of rooms during peak seasons. "Value-priced" rooms will be replaced by "premium lodging" that will be reflected in touches such as expensive furnishings and fireplaces and basic rates of $329 to $729 a night.

Construction is slated to begin next year on 18 "casitas" that will offer secluded and more expensive lodging for guests who want privacy. Stone said he doesn't know the building costs for those units.

One thing that will still be missing for high-dollar clients — a golf course — will be addressed in a high-flying manner.
Gateway Canyons is seeking licenses for a helicopter pad to be built near the resort. Plans are to fly guests to golf courses in places like Aspen and Telluride and also to take them for visits to other area attractions such as the national parks around Moab and Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction.

Guests have already been flying into Gateway and landing at Hendricks' grass airstrip on a private airline service that operates between here and Grand Junction.

Such changes and the 100 or so mostly part-time jobs that Gateway Canyons creates in peak season are not causing much excitement in a ranching and one-time mining town where school activities and the annual dynamite shooting event are the traditional focal points of local life.

When Hendricks initially started his development, there were culture clashes between the newcomers and the longtime residents.

Now, with plans to bring the mega wealthy to pay prices that make Gateway residents blanch, there is much less concern.
"It's not like anyone here is rarin' and tearin' to go over there," said Don McLaughlin, who has lived in Gateway for 14 years and whose wife was born and raised here. "It's not a big deal. We never felt like a part of it anyway."
Nancy Lofholm: 970-256-1957 or nlofholm@denverpost.com

Read more: Gateway Canyons Resort gets $20 million glitz-up - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...#ixzz1kbDcqWBm
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Good news is there will still be gas and drinks in Gateway
Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
sounds like the gas is not going away for good, just moving.
there was no word there would be new gas location, just it's going away.

can't have those smelly bikers in plain view screwing up our wealthy guests vacation.

anyone riding out that way should check in and try to get some more info.
we'll be following up asap as this throw a new wrinkle in the story.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 07:50 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
wait a minute. i re-read that article and it said the store was moving but no mention there will indeed be a new gas station, just a new store. guess we'll see?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
wait a minute. i re-read that article and it said the store was moving but no mention there will indeed be a new gas station, just a new store. guess we'll see?
Digging up the tanks is no small effort....I can't imagine they'd do all that just to relocate the gas station.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #26
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Digging up the tanks is no small effort....I can't imagine they'd do all that just to relocate the gas station.
Not sure on CO, but in MI the hassle you would have to go through in ground soil testing is nuts. I know my father in-law spent something like $50K+ on a station he owned. Of course any station has bad soil, drop by drop that spills and thus they all have bad soil and you have to pay $$$$ to remove old soil, test and bring in clean soil. It took him 2+ years for all the testing and what have you. Maybe CO is easy going *shrug*
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Heaven forbid that some Grey Poupon-eating, limo-riding rich bits would have to gaze upon some schlub filling up his/her vehicle at a gas pump. Maybe the resort could keep the existing gas pumps but just decorate them to look like big Faberge eggs...or big bottles of Dom Perignon.

I realize...or at least hope...that Gateway would never go the way of Aspen, CO, but from the lowly social position of my vantage point in life, I've never seen much good come from such high falutin playgrounds for the rich and famous. And no...I'm not an occupy wallstreeter.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #28
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,307
Yeah, i don't see this working for the long run...We had someone attempt to have a Five star luxury resort with some outdoor activities and a live round shooting facitilty, Elk Mountain Resort, which failed after 3 years or so, now just sitting empty. It was in the middle of nowhere between Montrose and Telluride. They would drive or heli their people to Telluride to golf or ski...know what? the people decided they would just rather stay at the towns that had the activities that were being shuttled to! KenStone, the person mentioned as the new manager at Gateway is a good guy. He had been VP i think at Telluride then was running Crested Butte for awhile, but i think he is going to have a difficult road to making this a profitable venture.
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,672
This place is dead to me now. The resort is merely a complex tax writeoff for John Hendricks. There is no way that place makes money. I predict these grandiose plans to be a complete flop, along with the golf course & luxury homes they have planned for the area.

They can build it, but noboby will come. Nobody really came when they had more 'affordable' rates...it was always a ghost town when we stayed there (which I kinda liked for the privacy).

Really enjoyed the handful of times spent there, riding out to Moab via Kokopelli or heading up 63 Road to the Uncompahgre trails.

So long, Gateway Canyons - I hardly knew ye....may your days of catering to the elites be fruitless and futile.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
gfountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
It will be intersting to see how this unfolds. Everyone seems to have the same opinion I had when I first read the article in the Post in December. There just isn't enough of a draw in the area to warrant the style of resort they have planned. I echo the sentiment about why heli to another location when you could simply stay somehwere else that had all the other actitivities and more.

'05 R1200RT, '06 WR450F, '11 990 Adventure

AMA, BMWMOA, BMWMCC, COHVCO
gfountain is offline   Reply With Quote