Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
I didn't read her blog at all, but roads in Fl are too crowded and too narrow?!

She should try commuting into downtown Chicago, L.A., SanFran, or NYC. The roads in L.A. are even narrower, twistier, and more crowded than Chicago, the public transit isn't quite the best, and NOBODY walks in L.A.

FL? I could park 2 SMARTcars alongside each other in most of the lanes and parking spots near where I live. Traffic is so light compared to Chicago that I could probably put the pedal to the floor in my governed Civic and navigate the 13 miles to work without letting up between the turns or crashing...if there was a guarantee of no po-po along the route and I wasn't concerned about giving some senior a myocardial infarction. I doubt I'd even have much trouble doing that in Orlando on a 250 SM.

The drivers down here are disproportionately idiots, but they're pretty easy to avoid because there just aren't as many people on the roads if you stay out of Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and Jax.

'Stuff to do? Ride through the forests, along the coasts, around the lakes, or along the rivers. On crazy hot and humid days, just make sure you've moved into a place with a nice pool or easy access to the ocean. Wear SPF30 Bullfrog or better. I'd have melted this past summer if I didn't have 2 nice pools and a 10-minute shot to the beach. On more-tolerable days, go saltwater fishing, sailing, jet-skiing, kayaking, or shooting. In the winter, ride...ride...ride. Several of the highways across the state are pretty nice for cruising...40, 44, 46. If you have a dualsport that's actually dirt-capable, sandy adventures are all over. Ocala and some of the other offroadable areas can be pretty big.

Just don't expect a lot of paved twisties or hills. Expect endless sand and idiot drivers. You'll be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

It aint necessarily paradise, but you don't move up to MN without expecting to throw a few snowballs to amuse yourself or to battle crazy mosquitos for a few weeks of summer either. It is what you make of it.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #48
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,071
Take one to know one.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #49
Flashdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
Now I understand why I see way less Minnesota plates down here than I used too.
What exactly did you expect after shitting all over someone's home with some keyboard bravado and then telling everyone to read about it on some self absorbed ego centric blog? Get over yourself.
Flashdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #50
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Did Any Of You Cracker Wannabes Even Read The Blog?

The blog was a rant about Floriduh's lousy drivers and crappy roads, not an attack on Florida in general. Yet a bunch of you got on your high horses and tried to revive the civil war in a ridiculous defense of your adopted state. There's no point in reviving the civil war, because historicly Florida played but a bit part in said national tragedy. In fact, the southern end of the state where I am was a wilderness sanctuary for escaped slaves and indians fleeing advancing settlement to the north. And all of you that called me a "yankee"... Where did you migrate from? I know my demographics and they tell me that "native" floridians are a minority. And where did a lot of Florida's current population migrate from? Those "yankee" states! Pot, meet kettle... It's pretty hilarious to witness a transplant from the north wrap themselves in the confederate flag and whine about "yankees'!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #51
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,174

that's me on the right... I izznt the brightest bulb in the drawer

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #52
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post

that's me on the right... I izznt the brightest bulb in the drawer

you guys must eat a lot of sugar sand

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #53
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
you guys must eat a lot of sugar sand

Yup, it kind of grinds away your toofs!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #54
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,485
The Civil War?

Wow, she's all over the place. I thought this was a thread about the great stuff to do in Florida.
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #55
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #56
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,375
Quote:
Blah,blah,blah...Durrrrr...Ummmmm

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #57
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
The blog was a rant about Floriduh's lousy drivers and crappy roads, not an attack on Florida in general. Yet a bunch of you got on your high horses and tried to revive the civil war in a ridiculous defense of your adopted state. There's no point in reviving the civil war, because historicly Florida played but a bit part in said national tragedy. In fact, the southern end of the state where I am was a wilderness sanctuary for escaped slaves and indians fleeing advancing settlement to the north. And all of you that called me a "yankee"... Where did you migrate from? I know my demographics and they tell me that "native" floridians are a minority. And where did a lot of Florida's current population migrate from? Those "yankee" states! Pot, meet kettle... It's pretty hilarious to witness a transplant from the north wrap themselves in the confederate flag and whine about "yankees'!
That is why they cant drive worth a crap. They come down from the North and invade Florida during the fall/winter/spring months.
I read your blog: trailer park is as trailer park does. Share the road, yea right, when bicyclists pay highway taxes for those nice roads they ride on, riding 3-4 abreast and blocking traffic. If biccylists want to share the road, then let them pay user fees for their bicycles on the road. If Florida stopped allowing the snowbirds (you are one also), then you would get most of the stupid drivers off the road. They come to Florida and still think they should drive like they do in Chicago, New York City, Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville. I say stop the SNOWBIRDS from coming.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #58
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
You made me spill my drink byotch... Howz it going Mug!!

Great thread BTW...

Thanks Inept for the great intro...

Saw the other closed thread...

rider1150gsadv screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 01:35 PM
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #59
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,093
damn ive been missin out.
I say NW Florida should secede from the rest of floriduh - two verrry different places. though, if you get away from the people south florida can/does have its good spots too.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #60
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,980
Alarida, or Florima....

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote