Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
johnny2k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Thanks! I have a long post about today coming soon but I have to go out and have waaaay too much fun instead of picking out my favorite photos of the day.

I LOOOOOVE Colorado.
johnny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
johnny2k
Adventurer

Part V

I maxed out my capacity on imgur.com so this post will be without pictures until I resolve that issue. I left myself some notes about where to put the pictures. For now just enjoy these words.

This is the part were we become the 4 best friends any one could have.

Dinner was hot and ready to eat as soon as we walked in the door. Pulled pork, corn, potatoes, wheat bread, hop sodas, and salted chocolate covered caramel for dessert. After eating until I nearly had to pump my stomach we got to checking all our messages, transferring photos and making updates on ye olde internet. Most of my Denver area friends were unavailable and it was getting dark so we made ourselves comfortable.

It was immediately clear that Blake and Anita were exellent people. Their sense of humor matches up with ours pretty well. It's always nice when a guy can let loose with the vulgarities over a plate of dead animal and potato. Blake is a computer guy as well so talked nerdy for a bit and then discussed the fun toys we get to play with.

Blake has night vision goggles and I was given a "Red Rocket". The Red Rocket is a safety flare with the ability to shoot up to 1000 feet in the air. The luminosicty of this beast is a whopping 30,000 candela. The attached parachute is capable of keeping it in the air for up to 40 seconds. 30 miles is the advertised visibility for this thing! Thanks for the flare, Keith! Where does one get such a cool toy? Gun shows! Instead of giggling like a bunch of children over the possbilitis of this device someone has the suggestion that maybe we should set this baby off soon. Normally I'll be the one to suggest some crazy activity and have to argue my way into getting cooperation from my cohorts. I decided to try to be the one to discourage getting into any trouble. That didn't last conversation didn't last long. My best point was that we had the rocket for less than 24 hours and setting off soon instead of later when we might need to use it for it's intended purpose.

"The action is go."

"This happens tonight!"

Since Denver is only 25 miles north I figure I can get someone to stand outside and point a camera at the sky so we can get a nice shot from far away. This failed to work because of the clouds that night. Another camera positioned a mile away failed to start up in time and my camera had the wrong SD card in it so the video was all janked out. Good thing the night vision goggles can record video! I would have felt pretty bad for failing to record video for Keith to see as per our agreement.

We were extremely pleased with the performance out of this thing. The flare landed not too far away from us so I ran into the field to retrieve the chute and to make sure no fire was going to start. Safety first! We cackle maniacally all the way back to the house then get to checking out the photos and videos to get a nice replay. This is when I realize I have no video. This, my friends, is why you aim for redundancy in your systems.

This is the part where I take a shower and we head into "SoDo"

Nothing feels better than washing the stink off.

The truck needed a lock for the rear window so we get to a topper store and get that purchased and installed while eating some popcorn and pokin' around, getting photos.

"Oh hey, a Kawasaki dealership. Let's check it out."

Cody fell in love with a Joe Rocket mesh coat that was 50% off. $80 dollars for a bright red Honda jacket is pretty awesome but not really needed at this point. We ended up back there hours later for him to try it on just to make sure he shouldn't get it. This is the same time I discover that there are helmets specfically made for dual-sport riding. Huh? Cool! Expensive. We managed to leave without spending any money and start to head out to REI.

"Oh hey, a Honda dealership. Let's check it out."

Neat store for sure. There was an old bike hanging from the ceiling and they sell synthetic oil. Anything else notale about that place, Cody? I guess I could just ask him right now. He's in the car with me right now. Eh.. oh well. Maybe later.

"Oh hey, a BMW dealership. Let's keep going. REI, baby."

R. E. friggin' I. WOW! What a cool place that is. We've only ever seen their goods in catalogs, on the website and on their facebook and twitter. Enjoy the pictures. Cody bought a coffee from the Starbucks. ಥ_ಥ Why's there have to be a Starbucks in every last thing on Earth? I bought nothing. There were some awesome deals though.

Sick of consumerist horse crap we decided to head into the hills for some lovely nature action.

This is at Mother Cabrini...something something.

The brakes started making noises. Ahhh, balls! It was time to get off these steep slopes and into a brake shop. So many options for brake repair out here. There was "Just Brakes". They just do brakes. Then there's "Brakes Plus" where they do brakes and probably some other crap. We looked for " Brakes Indeed" but it doesn't exist yet. Denver could use a really classy brake place that also sells monocles. Brakes, indeed. Quite.
┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ

We got a quote from Brakes Plus and then headed back to Castle Rock but before we got to far we see this thing.

Once we got back into Castle Rock we noticed there was a Brakes plus. Perfect! We'll do this live! The mechanics did their thing while we did ours. I was starving so I got started on the process of converting roast beef, Jarlsburg cheese, and wheat bread into poop. We checked out an organic grocery store for a bit but decided to get supplies for dinner at the reasonably priced King Soopers. Stupid name, low prices.

Dinner is served! Thanks, Cody!

This is the part where we're not sure what to do.
Dinner was made. Whiskey was drank. After a bit we took a nice night drive and then returned for some planning. Some friends in the area that I want to see are being difficult to make plans with so I wanted to have a shot at that before leaving. Cody really wanted to get back on the road soon and he's right. We really need to move on. I just want to see these friends who I haven't seen in several years. Oh well, if it doesn't work out that's okay. Maybe I'll be coming back soon. We settle on the idea of getting the motos off the trailer so we can ride in the morning after breakfast at LePeep.

"Oh, hey! There's a gun show! Let's check it out. Maybe we can get some more Red Rockets?!

Nope. They're controlled. Also, no cameras allowed at the gun show so I can't show you the nifty guns, hot babes, stupid bumper stickers or the grandma sweaters. "Bad fur day" with a picture of a messed up looking cat. I get it. It's a cat. Now shut up.

Blake bought a gun. I bought two empty Winchester 40 caliber shells for $0.16. Including the $8 cover makes that some overprices brass. Cody bought nothing. He's thinking hard about getting the new GoPro camera. I think $300 is unreasonable for a camera that only has a few advantages over the other cameras they make. Any one know of a current coupon code for that thing? I got my Naked for $180 because of a 25% off code. Totally worth it.

This is the part where you're all up to speed with our trip!
I'm in the back of the car headed back to Castle Rock. We're not sure what to do for the evening and we know we're headed out of town tomorrow morning. Options include going to a birthday party, going for a ride even though it's started to get a bit cold or try to get together with my friends tonight.

What are we staying tomorrow? Lol, we have no clue yet. It's time to make some calls to distant cousins and hope they like me enough to let us crash there. Albuquerque, baby. It's been a long time since my Amtrak trip with cousins and grandmother to Gallop, NM so it's going to be good to see all that lovely dirt. It's cold there so we're going to hurry over to Arizona ASAFP.

One last thing I almost forgot.

Which one of you FF'ers is this?!

johnny2k screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 01:21 PM Reason: Including the photos
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #18
Rojobandito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
wooohooooo!!!
finally got to ride the bikes!
I have a little work to do on the ol 400, but she ran pretty well for 6,000 plus feet above sea level

http://imgur.com/FSkf8
Rojobandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #19
Rojobandito OP
Adventurer

this is ol J Bone frollicking around the good ol' Rocky Mountains.
I had forgotten how therapeutic a little time in the hills can be
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #20
Rojobandito OP
Adventurer

REI Denver was the coolest outdoor store I have ever been to.
It had a very nontraditional layout.
I got the impression that it used to be a freight house
The giant three story tall rock intended for climbing was rather interesting
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #21
johnny2k
Adventurer

We're still alive.

There is going to be a large post about the past few days coming along soon. The last few days have been action packed and not much time for writing has been available. Maybe this video will be sufficient for your curiosity? More video aftre breakfast. I need to pack my things.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
Rojobandito OP
Adventurer

Flat-o-rama

Spent the last 60 degree day in Denver searching for a tube. Apparently its the cool thing for motorcycle stores to be closed on Mondays in Denver. How lame is that? When we finally found a tube, it was 20 miles away. We got 4 of them. Johnny ran to pick them up while I stayed with the bike. After about an hour and a Subway sammich, Johnny returned with 4 tubes and tales of a motorcyclers dream store. We had to go back. Performance Motorcycle of Colorado was a way cool store. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a GoProHero2 and a spark plug wrench for the ol Xr.

Rojobandito screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 10:39 PM
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
When you close in on NorCal drop a PM, if the weather stays as mild as it has been there is some great riding open in the Sierras and foothills. This is usually snowmobile time but there hasn't been much snow yet this year so access is still pretty good
oldtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #24
iowarider123
Wanderluster

Oddometer: 15
Iowa Rider here

Hey guys... nice report. Glad you are doing well. Im from near Iowa City, went to school at U of I so very familiar with the area. I will keep an eye on your reports, hopefully when you guys get back we can go for a ride. Im currently looking for a 2007 to 2010 KLR 650 or a GS800 to add to my stable so that I can start doing having some dualsport fun. Be safe and happy trails.
iowarider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
johnny2k
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider123 View Post
Hey guys... nice report. Glad you are doing well. Im from near Iowa City, went to school at U of I so very familiar with the area. I will keep an eye on your reports, hopefully when you guys get back we can go for a ride. Im currently looking for a 2007 to 2010 KLR 650 or a GS800 to add to my stable so that I can start doing having some dualsport fun. Be safe and happy trails.
Hehe.. "get back".
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 322
Hey Johnny and Cody

Well, there I was in Cave Creek AZ today fuelling up my GSA when a couple of f**kers on dual sports show up.
One of the parolees says "are you an ADV rider?"
I promptly gave them both the ADV one finger salute and proudly point out my FYYFF sticker!
The two guys were you!

Anyway, good meeting you guys!
Sorry I didn't have a map to show you where some good desert type roads are.
It was a bit late in the day for the Castle Hot Springs road, not sure if you made it or not...let me know.
I will try and post some of the other roads I have been on in the area.

Cheers
Manybike

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X

manybike screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 08:24 PM
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
johnny2k
Adventurer

Hey buddy!

It was great to meet you. I don't think we found the place you told us about but we did end up finding some nice stuff to ride. I'll have the video on my next long post here. An hour after we met you we ran into a guy on a DR650 who's headed for a gathering near Lake Pleasant. I can give you direction if you want. Sounds like a lot of people are out there living and riding. We'd be sleeping in tents but most people have campers and such. We'll be riding most of tomorrow and we're thinking about that 30 mile path from Lake Pleasant to Wickenburg. Give us a holler if you're interested in some riding. Cody needs faster people to ride with and I need people who like to poke along.

I LOVE ARIZONA!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #28
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Question

Knock knock, is anybody out there?

Are you guys still doing your ride and are you OK?

If you get anywhere near Ridgecrest CA in the high desert let me know.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
johnny2k
Adventurer

You know how one can lose track of things pretty easily? Well, I dropped the ball big time. We made it to Oregon which was a major destination for us where we can kick back for a while and increase our supply of money. I've been meaning to write up what has happened since Arizona but we haven't been on the bikes much since then. We're try to only include the parts relevant to motorcycles since most of our miles have been in the truck.

Check out my youtube channel and blog for more information about what's been going on. The youtube channel has a few videos showing off what we've been up to.

Oregon is amazing! I can't believe how awesome it is here even in the winter. We've been keeping pretty busy with traveling around, going to parties, seeing what we can see and looking for work. Right now I'm doing some high-priority freelance work so I can get some income for more gas

Blog: somethingmean.blogspot.com
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jkforty7

Maybe I should put these in my signature? Hmm.. maybe later I need to go finish repairing my machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Knock knock, is anybody out there?

Are you guys still doing your ride and are you OK?

If you get anywhere near Ridgecrest CA in the high desert let me know.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Thumb

So when you get the time please post up what you've been up to.
Glad your both OK. Have fun.