Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #91
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
I like the seating position on the bike allready with the yamaha xt handlebar but my girl likes to ride with me aswell so it is more comfortable for her to get in the more upright position so she can rest ger back on the topcase, like this

somewhere in the middle will be ok :-)
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #92
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Today I started to clean a gass tank. I removed the gass, cleaned all of the shit out of it with fresh water few times. After that I modified one of my old 800 wat PC power suplies and took one 12V 24amp rail, cut the connector of. I connected the + lead to the sacrifficial anode, in this case an old rusty screwdriver, and the negative lead to the part of the tank with the bare metal protruding through the paint. I am going to leave it like this for three days, changing the water and sodium carbonate solution once a day, and changing the anods, and changing the minus lead position on the tank to get the best current flow around the tank. I think 24 amps wil be more than enough to clean this bastard :-) There was some rust in the tank, so I hope that this proces will make it all nice and shiny once again :-)

I used an old plastic spraypaint lid as an insulator

after only 20 minutes, there is result :-) That is why computer powersuplies kick ass comparing to the standard battery chargers :-)

In all of the basement I haven't managed to find single peace of metal that is not stainless :-) so the old rusti metal screwdriver had to go :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #93
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

big update :-)

Well, finally, I managed to find couple of spare hours, get in the car and go to Austria to pick up some of the remaining missing peaces for this build :-)

Here is the lucky pray that i bought :-)

Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #94
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Finally I got the handlebars that I wanted from the start. Nice rise and 900 mm width for good control on the gravel and snow.

I got me a nice handprotectors with integrated led blinkers. I am not to sure about the functionality of those in the case of fall, but they said that they are made of virtually indestructible plastic. I hope I don't find out the limit of the "virtual" part :-)

One of the biggest concerns on the bike the previous owner "modified" were the headlights. They were some H11 sets from a toyota pickup truck, and there was no low beam, only double high beam which drained a lot of power and couldn't get MOT pass :-) So I found an really sexy looking peace of a headlight. It has a led ring around it which is a running light, and a standard H4 low/high beam pattern. I think that it is a bargain for a 100 euros :-)

This is how it will look like at night :-)

Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #95
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

I also wanted a LED rear light for the improved visibility and mainly to minimise the electric power on the bike. I didn't want those fancy small lights, so I found a standard sized one with a licence plate light integrated aswell

Since I like to ride my bikes in the snow a lot, I also like to fall 10 times a day so i found a nice plastic and CHEAP :-) plastic folding mirors

I got a pair of really basic light holding brackets which I am going to cut and shorten, because they are to big for my needs

Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #96
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

And the main part that I was really annoyed with on the "original" bike was the "speedo" or lack thereof.

On the right is the original monstrosity, sawed in kalf, cut and riveted to death by the previous owner :-)

Old was a massive chunk

New one is feather light

I wanted this little peace for a long time. It is very basic and informative. It has a speed, RPM, lights, blinkers and fuel, and that is more then I need

I still have to find a mounting position for it. I am not sure if I will mount it to the handlebar or will it go on the top tripple where the key used to be
Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #97
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

I also got me an used kawasaki er-6 wiring harness, which I will cut to peaces. I also have a lot of electric wiring, led blinkers relays and other stuff which I need to make my new wiring loom from scratch. I believe that there will be considerably less wire when I am finished with it. I will post pictures of the "loom making" process if anyone is interested :-) I never made a lom for a motorcycle before, but I am quite comfortable with the electricity on boats and yachts, both are 12V DC an waterproofing is much more of a factor on a boat then on the motorbike, so I believe that I will do an overkill on a waterproofing part here, but it will definitely not hurt :-)

Cheers, a lot more updates will come these days, There is a good chance that this bike will be finished soon :-)

Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #98
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

And now comes the fun part :-)

I started to mock up all of the parts

starting with the headlight mounts, they really are way too big

I FINALLY finally found a bike stand :-)

Comparing the handlebar sizes :-) Yamaha vs. Fehling :-)

On the bike

and the headlight on

this is one sexy looking bike :-)

brand new front end :-)

rear still need some work, bit of fiberglassing and it is done :-)

And foldable mirrors, I think that I will keep them on the end of the bars like this, so I can have a nice view of the police behind me

Here is where the rear light will be, and the licence plate will be fully high under the light

Rear end will need to have a lot of work done :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #99
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Talking

Uff

have to post this one one more time :-)

Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #100
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 358
Please get me one of those handlebars for my bike!

It's really good looking!
Congrats! It's getting better and better every time I take a look at the thread!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #101
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Hy Leo, here is the link for the handlebar manufacturer

http://www.fehling.de/index.php?cont...rid=6&lang=eng

I am not sure if they have a distributor in Argentina, but I presume that a lot of the manufacturers have something simmilar in their line. I bought this one because it is bombproof an it was really cheap, at aroun 45 euros or something like that.

I am doing some modifications on the stem at the moment, so tmorow I am starting to torque all of the bolts from the ground up and the finall assembly starts :-)

Old 06-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #102
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Since the central stem is at the machine shop getting final adjustments, I started to finish up the top triple and I made a nice bracket for the Koso speedo

there was 3 mm gap on the central stem

first, everything had to go matt black :-)

my trusty shitty duplicolor rattle can :-) I painted te whole bike with this, I spent around 10-15 cans alltogether

mocking the speedo in place, there is really nice coincidence in the curves of the koso and the curves of the bar clamp, so I used that as a guideline for a bracket

I have a lot of old powersuplies hanging aroun in my server room, so I am using the metal housings for various small peaces I want to produce

first chop one peace

cover in duct tape, measure, drav and drill and cut :-)

I really use really basic tools

getting the desired shape

some grinding

test fit

couple of layers of paint

Inserting the rubber mounts

fits nicely

I am really, really satisfied :-)

and a couple from the riders perspective :-)

I am really satisfied with the result :-)

Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #103
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Today I received 3 custom made steel braided brake lines from WP hidraulics. They are really cool looking and I got a lifetime waranty :-) I presme that they will do a much better job than the 23 year old rubber ones :-)

And on the plus side, they are 3 times lighter than originals, so I will save a bit of a weight there aswell. Pretty much every suplemental part I put on this bike is at least as twice as light then the original part, so I presume that the bike will be around 10 kilos ( 20 lbs) lighter then original, which is not bad because of te givi brackets, lugage, crash bars and other add ons, it should be the same weght as from tefactory :-)
Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #104
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

This afternoon I picked up the lowered triple with the modified central stem, so now everything fits like a glove. I also went shoping for some electric parts, heat shrinking, and parts for my "secret" keyles system. but I am not going to go much into details of the keyless sistem because I don't want somebody to steal my bike because blueprints are on the internet :-)

Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #105
aposaric OP
Garden mechanic ;-)

Final assembly is starting folks :-)

I painted the lower triple flat black aswell, and mounted it on the bike.

First time the front fender is on, and yes, it is flat black aswell :-)

Front brake fluid distribution

well, the night started to fall, so I decided that is it for today :-)

cheers

andrija :-)